Video: Ride along with Stevo during the Gold Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: Ride along with Stevo during the Gold Race

Here's cockpit footage with an overlay of some of the telemetry data from Sunday's Gold Race. It was a bumpy ride. Enjoy!

Note: the GPS receiver gives some erroneous data points above 3 G's. It's older tech and not designed to do what we're doing with it. Thus, I would trust the TAS on the right column for better average speeds. It's reported from the pitot-static system. GPS will give reasonable results for straight line data (Valley of speed and pylon 2-4).

Michael

Race 5, Voodoo's Reno 2013 Sunday Gold Race Cockpit footage with telemetry overlay. True airspeed (TAS) is on right right vertical column. GPS speed/altitude/course…
    Last edited by Mluvara; 09-29-2013, 05:09 PM.

Re: Video: Ride along with Stevo during the Gold Race

Sweet Video!

Does the prop governor usually hunt like that?
    Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
      Sweet Video!

Does the prop governor usually hunt like that?
      I was wondering the same thing..

Stevo's line, is exceptional! Wow, when he's in the clean air, there is just no error in it! Impressive.

- Joseph

Comment

Perhaps a real racing pilot or warbird pilot will chime in here about the prop gov. Don't know how much a pilot changes the throttle unless he/she is passing, but if it was left at a constant MAP, then as the aircraft G load, bank and AOA was changed around the course, would that have any effect on the gov. hunting? I would expect it to hunt a bit during turbulence.
        Chris who got his A&P out of a Cracker Jack box.

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        I was wondering the same thing..

Stevo's line, is exceptional! Wow, when he's in the clean air, there is just no error in it! Impressive.

- Joseph

Comment

Awesome stuff indeed!

I'm sure you had multiple cameras going.

Surely like to see some shots of Stevo at work in the office.

Thanks for posting,and thanks to Bob Button and Team Voodoo for allowing you to put that equipment in the plane so we can all enjoy the ride.

Comment

The RPM variation is being looked at. First, it is not noticeable in the cockpit. A pilot doesn't stare at the needle enough to see the 50-75 rpm change. Secondly, Stevo reportedly could not hear it. The environment these engines are asked to perform under is nothing short of brutal. The poor engine, governor and prop are trying to keep things in order at 500mph and under varying g loads. The other aspect is that I don't think anyone else is looking at this to the level we are. Very few aircraft have data recording/telemetry, so it's sort of unchartered territory to be looking at.

There were a total of six cameras in the cockpit. I think five came out with good footage of the Gold Race. Jason Schillereff will be putting some neat stuff together with it. Time permitting,I'll likely put together a view looking at Stevo with the overlay (See attached).

Michael

Click image for larger version

Name:	voodoo_rv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	227408

Comment

Thank-you for the info!

I was a little surprised that the RPM was as high as the 3350-3500 range. Would be interested if the variations were as significant when running at say 3200? Please keep us posted on what you guys find.. very interesting to me!

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                Thank-you for the info!

I was a little surprised that the RPM was as high as the 3350-3500 range. Would be interested if the variations were as significant when running at say 3200? Please keep us posted on what you guys find.. very interesting to me!

- Joseph
                3400 is standard engine RPM for a race merlin. With a .42 nose case gearing, that is ~1428 prop RPM. The governor was set to a max of 3500 RPM and depends on where the pilot puts the prop control lever. It takes a little bit of fiddling to get it set right coming down the chute and get it locked.

You'll find the 3350 radials run ~2900-3200 rpm

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                  3400 is standard engine RPM for a race merlin. With a .42 nose case gearing, that is ~1428 prop RPM. The governor was set to a max of 3500 RPM and depends on where the pilot puts the prop control lever. It takes a little bit of fiddling to get it set right coming down the chute and get it locked.

You'll find the 3350 radials run ~2900-3200 rpm

Michael
                  The Cornell engine in RB ran like a scalded cat at 3100, Actually found that it worked better as 3200 put the prop tips close to supersonic.

Comment

Awesome video! How does the speed compare with 2011 in this video with Will? The only speed listed is IAS.

Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
                      Awesome video! How does the speed compare with 2011 in this video with Will? The only speed listed is IAS.

The vertical column on the right (TAS) shows the same parameter (true airspeed). I just changed the top left from IAS to GPS ground speed for the 2013 video. Speeds are pretty close.

Michael

Comment

Here's cockpit footage with an overlay of some of the telemetry data from Sunday's Gold Race. It was a bumpy ride. Enjoy!
                        Michael

https://vimeo.com/75721498
                        Whoa. Thanks!

Snidely

Comment

Thanks, Michael! Those vids are very interesting to watch and well done....

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                            The Cornell engine in RB ran like a scalded cat at 3100, Actually found that it worked better as 3200 put the prop tips close to supersonic.
                            I was wondering about the propellor tip speed, too, but it's too late to find the equation and do the math.

Other thoughts: Stevo is a very talented pilot.

And thanks to the Michael and the entire team for the video and for the technology to allow us to ride along.

Comment

The vertical column on the right (TAS) shows the same parameter (true airspeed). I just changed the top left from IAS to GPS ground speed for the 2013 video. Speeds are pretty close.

Michael
                              It is actually pretty interesting that they are as close as they are considering that it is on two different race courses.
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X