rare bear part qustion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rare bear part qustion

so i am a fan of rare bear and i would like to start to build models of it but i need help on finding out when parts were added or changed out. so when did it get the streamlined canopy like what year. what prop and spinners where used. when did the tail fillet peace show up when did the bear get tires and wheels from a T-33 and what year did rare bear switch from the normal bear cat cowling to the one used on the DC-7

Re: rare bear part qustion

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
    so i am a fan of rare bear and i would like to start to build models of it but i need help on finding out when parts were added or changed out. so when did it get the streamlined canopy like what year. what prop and spinners where used. when did the tail fillet peace show up when did the bear get tires and wheels from a T-33 and what year did rare bear switch from the normal bear cat cowling to the one used on the DC-7
    The first low-profile canopy was 1971-72, but the current 'style' was in 1973...though I think it's been replaced two or three times now.

The first few years it used a DC-7 prop and spinner, then switched to a Skyraider prop with a P2V spinner in 1971. In 1974 it was replaced by a P-51H spinner (discarded by Howie Keefe), and then went to the custom-blown spinner in 1987.

It had a rounded tail fillet from 1970 through 2008 when the boil off was installed...so the new stinger in 2009?

I think the DC-7 cowling went on in 1987 as part of the first round of Dave Cornell mods.

Comment

Current canopy is new after 2012. I heard several inches taller.
      Spinner is from a Blackburn Beverly.

Comment

guys thank you all for helping me sort out the part history of rare bear

Comment

The interim spinner between the DC-7 spinner and the P-51H spinner was a P-61 Black Widow spinner. The DC-7 cowling was first used at the Hamilton race in 1988. The short wings were first used at Miami in 1973.
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            Current canopy is new after 2012. I heard several inches taller.
            Spinner is from a Blackburn Beverly.
            I knew it looked taller! Also, does anyone know what that rectangular thing is on the leading edge of the left wing where the old intake inlets were?

Comment

Cool project. Check out "High Planes" models from Australia. They have a couple versions of the Bear. Mostly 1/72 and some 1/48. They're on egay all the time. Could save you hours of modification and custom decals. They also produce different versions of some of the other unlimiteds too.
              "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

so i am working on making 3d printed parts for plastic model air planes. and whats cool is they can be made for any scale you can think of but for my bissness i am starting out in 1/48 scale. but for a conversion for rare bear like lets say the famous 3 blade prop. i will have for sale in the conversion the canopy,cowling,prop and spinner,tail fillet peace. and wheels if they had the T-33 wheels by then

Comment

Originally posted by BEARCLAW777 View Post
                  so i am working on making 3d printed parts for plastic model air planes. and whats cool is they can be made for any scale you can think of but for my bissness i am starting out in 1/48 scale. but for a conversion for rare bear like lets say the famous 3 blade prop. i will have for sale in the conversion the canopy,cowling,prop and spinner,tail fillet peace. and wheels if they had the T-33 wheels by then
                  LOL, well...back in my day we had to make the parts from scratch and then cast them in resin....but I made up a Rare Bear conversion kit for the 1/48 Testors model. Sold the molds to Scotty G several years ago. Not sure if he ever did anything with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Race70 View Post
                    Also, does anyone know what that rectangular thing is on the leading edge of the left wing where the old intake inlets were?
                    It's not where the intake was, but if you're talking about this it looks to be a camera:
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RichH View Post
                      It's not where the intake was, but if you're talking about this it looks to be a camera:
                      Is that for taking pictures of all those planes in front of you?

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                        Why Yes, the ones you are lapping, of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                          Say, bet they got some great shots of 232's tailwheel hangin'out in the breeze

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                            Say, bet they got some great shots of 232's tailwheel hangin'out in the breeze
                            Now that's funny!

Comment

Ironically that's about the location of the stock gun camera on a stock F8F. Lyle actually had to remove that during the initial build in 1969. So another step closer to the factory build.
                              John Slack

Comment

Working...
                              X