232 - what really happened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 232 - what really happened

Video posted on vimeo.com by Lewis Air Racing......

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Re: 232 - what really happened

Great video! Thank you Lewis Air Legends for sharing! I noticed in the video from the pits that the tailwheel was out. That couldn't have been from the g-forces, right?

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Amazing footage! I wonder if a Merlin could handle that kind of punishment and keep on running? and then Hoot just makes it look just like another stroll in the park. Thanks for sharing ...
      1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Thank you for posting this great video.
        And the good point is that those two pieces saved the windscreen, it would have been another story instead.
        Great Pilot Hoot Gibson.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.....any word on damage to engine? I've heard she's going to Eagle nest for repairs? Anyone know about that? Thanks
          Brian

Comment

Really bummed 232 didn't make it to Sunday but glad it ended well! Que wingman 232 picture to make this thread complete!
            Random Air Blog

Comment

Great video! Not much for me to add -- I didn't get a single really sharp shot of 232 during that race. Others did much better (Curtis Fowles for one). The tailwheel doors were open for the whole race.

Neal

Comment

Here's a shot by Birgitta (from the Voodoo trailer) of the external damage...

Comment

best line:
                  "Hoot tells us he can deadstick a shuttle onto a small strip in Florida from across the Pacific"

Comment

Originally posted by gordonronco View Post
                    best line:
                    "Hoot tells us he can deadstick a shuttle onto a small strip in Florida from across the Pacific"
                    1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Really enjoyed watching that. Nice production.
                      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
                        Video posted on vimeo.com by Lewis Air Racing......

http://vimeo.com/75535950

Amazing video. I've run the first angle several times and watched the different gauges. I'm assuming that boost is lower row, second from right. It swings all over the place a couple of times and then drops all the way when Hoot pulls the power back. Also a red warning lamp comes on briefly right next to it then goes out when the power comes off- induction temp?

And was Hoot cool or what? Wow.

All I can say is that if I were Rod Lewis, I'd sure keep going with 232 and crew no matter what I decided to do with the Bearcat. That engine was sounding like no 3350 on-board I've ever heard before prior to the incident (never heard one from Rare Bear in her glory years, though...) Afterward... what a god-awful sound, but at least it was still running. Radials are amazing as long as the master rod stays in one piece. Hopefully in this case the damage is limited to the carb and blower and not cylinders. I'm sure pieces of cowling hitting the carburetor venturis at high speed did some damage there and that alone could make the engine run like poop since the carb could no longer meter fuel correctly. But seems like I remember a similar thing happening to 232 and/or Riff-Raff when they were playing with Skyraider-style scoops, and it did a number on the blower as well... anyone remember if cylinders got chewed up also?

As to the question of whether a Merlin could keep running after a thing like that... my guess is probably so. In fact several have blown off their induction trunks over the years so it's been done- don't know how much usable power they were producing afterward though. The carb and blower would get the same abuse as on a 3350, but on a Merlin the flame traps might even be able to keep the junk from getting to the cylinders at all, unless the force of impact could punch through the screens.

Comment

Am I just seeing things, or is the tail wheel slightly deployed on the final lap?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_E_Richards View Post
                            Am I just seeing things, or is the tail wheel slightly deployed on the final lap?
                            The tail wheel was hanging out from about the beginning of the 2nd lap. When 232 went past me at the start it was still where it belonged, the 2nd lap it was out.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                              The tail wheel was hanging out from about the beginning of the 2nd lap. When 232 went past me at the start it was still where it belonged, the 2nd lap it was out.

Will
                              Its the "Hoot-o-meter"!
                              Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Working...
                              X