A qualifying question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A qualifying question...

In earlier times wasn't there a requirement that the racer be stabilised on the course before calling for the clock? Now they seem to be allowed to come hammering down the chute and then call for the clock while carrying a bunch of extra speed and momentum. Seems to me that this may have been a contributing factor to Strega's canopy failure, as all accounts indicate that he was at warp speed plus when the canopy blew out. Mike Nixon's comment about speeding in another thread makes me wonder even more.

Kerch has always disliked these attempts to break the qual record, and I agree. I felt a bit cheated this year when the canopy situation (and Matt's DQ on Thursday) made a serious race on Sunday less likely. I've seen more than one potentially great Gold Sunday ruined because of the obsession with the qualifying record -- Mike Brown's spectacular meltdown a few years ago comes to mind...

Neal

Re: A qualifying question...

I think Mike was ribbing him...
    Seems to me that unless you have an engine just for the quali record (which Voodoo supposedly had) it is self-defeating to run that hard. Better to go for your best position in the start without using all of the life if possible.
    I agree, I thought you had to have a lap or two before you called the clock.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Rule Section VII requires "UWRC, Jet, T-6 and Sport...when ready to initiate their qualifying attempt...must contact Chief Timer at Pylon #4 to ask for the clock...indicating one lap or two laps."

Section VII requires "request for the clock... be made at Pylon #4 after completing one (1) level lap."

Was some discussion during debriefs that the fast movers should call at Pylon #2 to ensure Timing/Scoring and all Judges are made aware of an attempt, given those folks are moving at about 700ft/sec.

All classes initiate their qualifying attempts in level flight after passing their respective last Pylon prior to Home Pylon. Namely, Bip's and F1 at Inner 6, T-6's at Middle 7, Sport, Jet, and UWRC at Outer 9 (aka Middle 7).
      Last edited by Air Boss; 09-27-2013, 09:34 AM.
      Owen Ashurst
      Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
      http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Thanks!
        What I heard on the radio as Matt came downhill was a request for the course, not the clock.
        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

And to be clear, (my omission) Section VII requires "Biplanes and Formula 1 to "request for the clock... be made at Pylon #4 after completing one (1) level lap.
          Owen Ashurst

Comment

Thanks Owen.

So everybody, including Unlimiteds, is required to complete one level lap on the course before
            calling for the clock? This would agree with what I always understood to be the rules...

If Voodoo comes blasting down the chute for a qualifying run, and essentially enters the course proper at Pylon 2, would it be considered a level lap when it passes Home Pylon? Or would Steve have to complete a level lap from that point before calling for the clock?

I appreciate your willingness to answer these questions from a Pylon Judge's understanding of the rules. From a fan perspective this stuff often is hard to figure out or get authoritative information on.

Neal

Comment

+1
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

As written, the Rule Section VII does NOT specifically require one complete level lap for Unlimiteds, Jets, T-6 and Sport (as it does for Bips and F1). That said, (and I'm paraphrasing here to avoid printing the entire section) the rule does require the pilot to request the clock at Pylon #4 for their respective class (except T-6's, who request at their Pylon #3). Thus, an Unlimited, Jet or Sport racer coming down the chute would have to have established himself/herself "on the course" prior to Pylon #4, have called for the clock, and be in "level lap" configuration at Outer #9 (last pylon prior to Home) in order to receive a time. By definition, it would very difficult to have established yourself "on the course" by Outer #4 when coming down the chute (altitude restrictions being what they are) soon enough to call for the clock so that effectively means one level lap.

Ultimately, it would fall to the Contest Committee folks to determine if an Unlimited, Jet, T-6 or Sport racer legally called for the clock while diving onto the course from the chute. Has he/she established themselves on the course? Being established on the course at Outer #2 from the chute for the Unlimiteds, Jets, and Sports is not possible give the course layout, definition of the chute, and location of East Start Pylon and Outer #4.

As with most things, some areas are open to interpretation. I cannot recall an instance where a racer in the fast mover category stretched the rules by calling for the clock while in the chute. May have happened once or twice but I'd have to blow the dust off the memory banks to call it up.
                Last edited by Air Boss; 09-27-2013, 11:30 AM.
                Owen Ashurst

Comment

Its real simple guys. You can enter the course at any pylon on the course. You must however have one level lap starting at the home pylon before going on the clock. This year they agreed to take the call at pylon 2 because the timers are slow responding to the pilots. In addition its hard to hear the timers at race power. There is real no advantage diving on the course other then getting the ram pressure up on the engine. That is what I was doing. Most of the fast planes have their terminal indicated speeds reached simply in level flight. The drag rise is so severe at these speeds that there is more disadvantage putting too many g's on the plane at speed holding her on the course. In regards to running too hard on qualifying. My suggestion is get over it!!! If your engine cannot last two laps at race power, she is not going to last 18 more laps in the week of racing. When you leave for Reno you plan on 26 laps at warp power. As far as being disappointed because Sunday race was affected in your opinion by the canopy mishap I suggest you find another event to watch. Its racing guys and I go to race. I was following the instructions of the owner who just happens to be the winningest unlimited race pilot and his plane has won more then any other. He wanted to break his own record. I do as I am told. I guess I should have taken a vote from the site here to see what I should have really done right?. In regards to being disappointed. There was no one more disappointed than little old me come Sunday. The dynamic I had on the plane was no more than a normal Gold start on Sunday.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                    Its real simple guys. You can enter the course at any pylon on the course. You must however have one level lap starting at the home pylon before going on the clock. This year they agreed to take the call at pylon 2 because the timers are slow responding to the pilots. In addition its hard to hear the timers at race power. There is real no advantage diving on the course other then getting the ram pressure up on the engine. That is what I was doing. Most of the fast planes have their terminal indicated speeds reached simply in level flight. The drag rise is so severe at these speeds that there is more disadvantage putting too many g's on the plane at speed holding her on the course. In regards to running too hard on qualifying. My suggestion is get over it!!! If your engine cannot last two laps at race power, she is not going to last 18 more laps in the week of racing. When you leave for Reno you plan on 26 laps at warp power. As far as being disappointed because Sunday race was affected in your opinion by the canopy mishap I suggest you find another event to watch. Its racing guys and I go to race. I was following the instructions of the owner who just happens to be the winningest unlimited race pilot and his plane has won more then any other. He wanted to break his own record. I do as I am told. I guess I should have taken a vote from the site here to see what I should have really done right?. In regards to being disappointed. There was no one more disappointed than little old me come Sunday. The dynamic I had on the plane was no more than a normal Gold start on Sunday.
                    MJ
                    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Thanks Matt............Reno Air Racing is about Racin
                      Interesting that 232 and Strega both had structural damage due to possibly being faster then they had been before on the course or in Stregas case nearing the course.........glad they both worked out safely, and again, it's all about going fast, that's why they call it racin...............going fast!!! HHHHHmmmmmmmmm, maybe that's why they didn't have Super Cub races AGAIN this year??
                      Brian

Comment

232 damage I think will come out as dropping a valve. If you watch the photo thee is a flash of fire which might be sodium from an exhaust valve. The scoop departed as a result of the back fire. I don't believe the scoop departed from speed. We will know soon enough when the engine is looked at.

MJ

Comment

Working...
                        X