Scanner/Transceiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scanner/Transceiver

Okay, I've been going to the races for decades now and next year I finally want to break down and listen to what is going on.

So what do you all use? Feel free to recommend a good mid to high price range scanner and/or transceiver (yes, I will disable the transmit button!!!)

Links to websites would be appreciated, too.

Thanks!

Go Bear!
    Don Hatten
    Galena, Alaska

Griffon's transceiver

Hey Don,
    I use the JD-100 and love it!
    It's kind of bulky in comparison to the newer models but I don't know how the new models stack up to it. I imagine pretty well since technology keeps getting better all the time.

Unfortunately, it seems that Sporty's has replaced the JD-100 with the SP-200 Nav/Com. The funny thing is that they both look exactly the same...go figure!

Here's a link that might help you:

-GriffonGirl

Comment

Scanner

Don

I use a Uniden hand held scanner with Bearcat Technology (bearcat is unrelated), it stores up to 100 chanels. I use it mostly for NASCAR races. It works great for VHF and WX. I have had this unit for almost 8 years and its been dropped checked several times. If you just want to scan I would recomend something like this.
      Check www.uniden.com. You can get them at almost any Best Buy or Circuit City store, it was around $125. Although they don't have my model any longer, they do have something close. Also check ebay.
      What ever scanner you get, I recomend a quality head set.

Although we never met at Reno this year, I and the entire Bear team appreciate everything you do for us.

Thank you for your support.

Good luck on the scanner.

Scott Litster
      Bear crew

Comment

Radio Shack Pro 60. 10 banks and 20 channels per bank. UHF and VHF to get the military freqs! Store up to 200 freqs. Small and light weight. Over eight hours on six AA bats. Or you can get the rechargable stuff.

The only weakness in this little dude is the speaker. But you need to use ear plugs or headphones at the races or airshows.

I don't think Radio Shack makes the Pro 60 anymore, but a friend found one on ebay.

Best of luck and happy listening.

Comment

scanners

Radio shack has a "Race Scanner" model now with pretty much the same featuresas the 60, $125. I just bought it this year. I used it at the races and it worked great. headphones are a must.

Comment

Thanks everybody! I'm checking the links and will be buying soon.

Go Bear!
            Don Hatten
            Galena, Alaska

Comment

Don,
              I have used an older Radio Shack Pro-46 for several years. It works well, but I have also been thinking about upgrading. You will really enjoy listening to race control and the various racers on the course. It really gives you advance notice on what is about to happen. I just use a single earpiece to listen in.

Besides, it is better than listening to the announcers.

I didn't get to meet you at this years Bear BBQ, hopefully next year.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X