Bear/232 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear/232 question

Obviously the Bear did not find the "missing" horsepower. Maybe the air inlet wasn't the problem. At first I just figured anyone who knew the engine program from years past is either dead or no longer with the program, but when 232 qualifies as well as they did they must have been making a lot more power than the Bear, even without the nitrous system which Lyle told me gave an extra 800 hp. Last year was the first time I ever heard about CHT issues, in the past the only overheating issues I recall had to do with the mags. I also don't know if they have the leading edge cuff back on, I understand Cornell removed it as he thought it obstructed air into the engine but I remember JP saying it gave them about 10 more knots. Just seems that if they ran 490 with the old combination if they made the same dry power as 232, added the nitrous and the recent aero mods they should have been competitive. Anybody know what the issue(s) is/are?
    Ron Henning

Re: Bear/232 question

Too bad the team can't reach out to Cornell and come to an understanding. Dave could act as a consultant. Drop the egos! Work together to bring the Bear back to her glory days. This project is just too big for one man, one ego. It's about preserving the legacy of the Bear. John Penney seems to get this as he was helping out as test pilot even though he respects Cornell. I over heard a conversation regarding a certain ex Bear crew member in the Bear pit yesterday. The question was where is he and he could help. The short answer was he is loyal to Cornell and would never cross that line. If Rod reached out to Cornell and Dave could work as a consultant and not crew chief and bring in his best soldiers then Bear would have a fighting chance against the Mustangs and yes one Yak.

Comment

Where does 232 go for the off season? Does it get flown xc to Texas? Aviation Classics going to repair? We all keep referring to her as Sept Fury but I hear Rod changed her name. What is her new name? Should always be Sept Fury in my opinion. Great name! Rod didn't change Rare Bear's name!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
        Where does 232 go for the off season? Does it get flown xc to Texas? Aviation Classics going to repair? We all keep referring to her as Sept Fury but I hear Rod changed her name. What is her new name? Should always be Sept Fury in my opinion. Great name! Rod didn't change Rare Bear's name!!
        September Fury will be heading to the Sanders facility in Ione to get the repairs taken care of.
        Jason
        Jason Schillereff

Comment

Hans,
          Dig back through previous threads and find one titled "Setting the Record Straight" It will answer a lot of questions.
          It was all hashed out in there and there is no reason to try and explain it all again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            Hans,
            Dig back through previous threads and find one titled "Setting the Record Straight" It will answer a lot of questions.
            It was all hashed out in there and there is no reason to try and explain it all again.
            All I got out of that mess (besides the inner team communications issues) was a disagreement on what a "hot" cylinder was. A lot of other things have changed since that weren't discussed in that meltdown.

Keep in mind, before ALL of this (pre 2007)... though there were issues at times, the Bear engine made plenty of power!

Comment

Posted on the Ezell Aviation Facebook page:

"Rare Bear ended up finishing 4th in the gold race. Not what we hoped for but we finished with no problems. Our priority was to fix the over heating problems and that was accomplished. Now our priority is finding our lost horsepower. Thanks for all the support. Congrats to Voodoo on their big win!!!"

Still looking for the missing hp!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post

"Rare Bear ended up finishing 4th in the gold race. Not what we hoped for but we finished with no problems. Our priority was to fix the over heating problems and that was accomplished. Now our priority is finding our lost horsepower. Thanks for all the support. Congrats to Voodoo on their big win!!!"

Great job!

We saw the Bear "Texas Style!"

Cubic dollars spent to fix a problem that didn't exist, only to get passed by a Yak with a stock 2800.

The entire Bear career has been 1st, second or DNF.

Now 4th is good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post

Maybe you can start by putting the custom exhaust back on? It was tried and true.
                  "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                    Great job!

Cubic dollars spent to fix a problem that didn't exist, only to get passed by a Yak with a stock 2800.

Now 4th is good enough.
                    At least it beat 232 this year- oops, well I mean finished ahead of 232
                    I guess maybe instead of two Rare Bear kill markings on the side, a picture of two blowed-up engines might be more appropriate...
                    Last edited by toldjaso; 09-17-2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

And a BIG salute to Mr. Rod Lewis for fielding and funding these two bada$$ racers.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
                        And a BIG salute to Mr. Rod Lewis for fielding and funding these two bada$$ racers.
                        Likewise!

Comment

Originally posted by Dialtapper View Post
                          Great job!

Now 4th is good enough.
                          I just have to say something here. The announcer SAID Czech Mates motor was a 2000 HP motor. Anybody here notice how many mistakes he made announcing ? Stock R2800s came in HP as high as 2500 and 2800 as well as some between 2000 and 2500. I find it hard to believe it was only 2000 HP. It was great to see him run and finish so well with NO maydays or cuts to move him up there.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                            I just have to say something here. The announcer SAID Czech Mates motor was a 2000 HP motor. Anybody here notice how many mistakes he made announcing ? Stock R2800s came in HP as high as 2500 and 2800 as well as some between 2000 and 2500. I find it hard to believe it was only 2000 HP. It was great to see him run and finish so well with NO maydays or cuts to move him up there.
                            I was also happy to hear that the Sanders have taken the R-2800 out of 'Argonaut' and put the R-3350 back in. It must be true, they said so often enough!

Comment

Originally posted by GeeBeeZ1931 View Post
                              It may have been a stock R-2800, but not a fighter aircraft variant. If reports are true, it is a CB-16 or CB-17 series R-2800, which is the transport/airliner version. Those put out 2,500 horsepower stock. I believe CM's engine puts out 2,650 horsepower. More than enough for that tiny airframe originally designed for 700 horsepower
                              "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
                              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Working...
                              X