rare bear engine problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rare bear engine problems?

At the pre race interview with Lyle Shelton, Lyle mentioned something about a valve guide problem. Did anybody hear if that problem was a factor in Sunday's race?

during the week the Bear camp changed 1 cylender that had a bad guide after qualifiying and another 2 after fridays heat race.

Comment

After the race on Sunday, I was talking with John. The only problem he mentioned was an instrumentation one whereby he was getting unusual torque readings which took time (laps) to work out. Regardless, it did not sound like the consequences of this issue presented any significant performance factors. However, keep in mind, everything under these conditions is a factor when it's your hide strapped in the seat.

Comment

Does anybody think that the Bear can find some more speed? My wife and I have already decided that this will be an annual event, and I sure would like to see the Bear regain it's rightful place at the top of the heap.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Does anybody think that the Bear can find some more speed? My wife and I have already decided that this will be an annual event, and I sure would like to see the Bear regain it's rightful place at the top of the heap.
          The Bear was grounded for 3 years and the team was out of money. Now that they have a reasonably good race engine (and hopefully the fan sponsors will continue to provide some operating cash) perhaps they can go for some aerodynamic mods to help take the "load" off the engine. Less power to go as fast would be great!

Rare Bear will be on top again in 2 years...I'll eat crow in 2005 if I'm wrong.

Don
          Rare Bear Fan Sponsor 2003 and beyond!

Comment

Don,
            I see your from Galena, I spent the summer working up there when they shut down the airbase a few years ago. I stayed at Oren's place. I loved it up there and wish I could go back.

I bought a lot of Rare Bear stuff while I was up at Reno, but there's still more I want to get. They've got a great DVD about the history of the Rare Bear that I bought. I don't know if it's on the web site yet, but if you contact the team I'm sure they can get one to you. Even though this years event is over, the Bear didn't get any cheaper to operate. Let's all continue our support so she'll have an even better chance next year!!

Race 29
            Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Race 29,

I work up here at the old air base. I work for a contract group who keeps the base in caretaker status for the Air Force.

I was at the races (box B68) and I, too, bought up one or two of everything at the Rare Bear pit. I have a 6 pack of Rare Bear brew (quite tasty) and I bought 8 Rare Bear race shirts for everybody in my box...we had a blast being loud and proud! I also have the Bear history DVD. I haven't watched it yet as I have been busy unpacking all the other goodies.

I will be sending in my $1500 fan sponsor money for 2004. I would love to see the Bear with some long overdue aerodynamic mods and maybe a spare engine (cha-ching!)

Go Bear!
              Don Hatten
              Galena, Alaska

Comment

Aero Mods

I read in another post that Lyle mentioned something about "aero mods" he would like to do if they have the funds.

Any ideas or speculation on what type of aero mods might be in the works for the Bear?

How about a canopy like the one on September Fury!

Comment

I heard a couple of years ago that they would like to re-design or replace the wings. Maybe a laminer flow wing that would have less drag. I don't know for sure, just what I remember seeing or hearing on the subject.

Kevin

Comment

Re: Aero Mods

Originally posted by Reever
                    I read in another post that Lyle mentioned something about "aero mods" he would like to do if they have the funds.

Any ideas or speculation on what type of aero mods might be in the works for the Bear?

I'll go out on a pretty solid limb and say that it would just have to be wing mods, that's the real weakness with the Bearcat. And a lot can be done by closing up open joints, smoothing and polishing. Just look at how much Furias picked up by paying attention to those details, and Brian Sanders has said that those details are why Dreadnought is as fast as she is when a casual look says she should be slower than Furias (by virtue of being a heavier trainer with dual controls). Also, doing something to eliminate the "oil canning" that we talked about some time ago might help the Bear. But the wings are the real "brick wall" in my guesstimation.

As for the canopy, I've always read that Bear's current canopy is one of the best in racing. If you look at it, its already highly modified and *very* slick.

Comment

Are you saying that the Bear doesn't have the detail type stuff done already? The open joints, smoothing and polishing has not been done? Hasn't this airplane already gone 528mph. or so? It would seem to me that would be some of the first things you would do to make an airplane go faster. Certainly cheaper than more horsepower or changing the incidence of the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L
                        I heard a couple of years ago that they would like to re-design or replace the wings. Maybe a laminer flow wing that would have less drag. I don't know for sure, just what I remember seeing or hearing on the subject.

Kevin
                        I heard the same thing about reshaping the wings...it may have been as recent as last year's Bear BBQ. Also it was mentioned that it's a very pricey thing to do.

You aren't imagining that you heard it.

Go Bear!
                        Don Hatten
                        Galena, Alaska

Comment

Re: Aero Mods

Originally posted by Reever

I don't see how they could make the canopy slicker and still see out of the cockpit. It looked pretty slick to me!!!

(I tried to post a picture here but I don't know how to make a picture 600 x 0 pixels....Wayne?)

Go Bear!
                          Don Hatten
                          Galena, Alaska

Comment

Re: Re: Aero Mods

Originally posted by hattend
                            (I tried to post a picture here but I don't know how to make a picture 600 x 0 pixels....Wayne?)
                            Don,

Do you have any sort of image viewer program? Most will offer a resize option, that'd be about how to do it.. I think paint shop pro is available for free trial, it's pretty good and I've used an old copy of it for years.

Wayne
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi Wayne,

Yes, I have Picture Publisher and I can size to pixel size. The problem I think I'm having is the 600 x 0 size limit. If the length is 600 pixels and the height is zero, I don't think the picture will be very good.

The file size is 50K which is under the 100K limit but it comes back as saying the picture has to be 600 X 0.

Thanks
                              Go Bear!
                              Don Hatten
                              Galena, Alaska

Comment

Working...
                              X