Balderdash !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balderdash !!!

On a modeling board, someone asked where is Bob Hoover these days...

One answer that came across was this:
    Bob Hoover was killed several years ago while performing his famous manuever of pulling out the control stick in flight and waving it for the crowd.
    Obviously false (and I responded as such). But it does bring up two issues?
    1) this sounds like a foolhardy stunt, whomever the pilot may have been......is it true, or an urban legend?

2) Other than his association with Xtreme Air Racing, what has Bob Hoover been up to lately?
    the other Wayne................

This is a stickup...

Originally posted by GWB
    Obviously false (and I responded as such). But it does bring up two issues?
    1) this sounds like a foolhardy stunt, whomever the pilot may have been......is it true, or an urban legend?

2) Other than his association with Xtreme Air Racing, what has Bob Hoover been up to lately?
    Not sure if anyone ever actually did that in an airshow act but it reminded me of a story I read quite a while ago about an early flight instructor in the Army Air Corps. Apparantly this fellow was prone to throwing his stick overboard once he thought the student was ready to go it alone and would tap the young aviator on the shoulder to get his attention and then pull the stick out of the socket and over she went.

Students being what they are.. word spread about this particular teacher's trick and the fledgling aviators decided to pull a prank on the instructor.

One student was quite sure that this would be his day and a spare stick was smuggled aboard the airplane. When the tap came and the stick was thrown overboard.. the student nodded knowingly and promptly threw "his" stick over also....

Urban Legend? Probably but a good story anyway..

On what Mr. Hoover is up to.. He is alive and well and was at Sun 'n Fun recently, though not flying. We have uncomfirmed word that he is obtaining the necessary insurance and paperwork and will have a very exciting act coming soon..

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

very cool, i always enjoyed hoover's act, i'm looking forward to seeing his new one
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Working...
      X