Air Racing - It's The People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Racing - It's The People

In case you're wondering "where in heck did the coverage go?" all of us who took images at Reno this year are probably deep into the 1000's of shots, some good, in my case... with a malfunctioning camera and trying out a lens less than half the weight of my old one, some.... not so good

But as I am digging through mine, particularly the stuff from on the ramp Sunday after the Gold Unlimited race... the thought struck me again.. Without the people, Air Racing would not exist, period..

Just going to share a few that went into the "save" bin for gallery presentation later but, before I turn in for the day, I thought I'd post these...

In this first shot, we have some history, that's for sure! We also have the future, the passing of the torch, so to speak... As you all know, Dwight Thorn did not have a very good year, but with the help of John Slack, Steve Bartholf and Mike Wilton, they got it done.. and BOY did they get it done!
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Air Racing - It's The People - Second Image

Something I think most anyone who was on the ramp that day would have noticed... The Bear, though it finished second, hardly finished second in the minds of the Bear Fans!

I can't remember, EVER, seeing as many fans gathered around the second place airplane as there were around the first place airplane... that was how it was at the 2003 National Championship Air Races.
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Air Racing - It's The People - Third Image

Rare Bear Fan Sponsor Club.. there were, quite literally, 1000's of people who came out of the woodwork. Donating 1 dollar, 5 dollars, 20 dollars and sometimes, 1000's of dollars!

Certainly, I don't have pictures of each and every one but if I did, I'd publish ALL of them.

This picture, of one of THE most loyal fans of all, Mr. Don Hatten, who frequents this board, will serve as an example of the "breed" of Race Fans who supported this team and helped make this happen..

Rare Bear was TRULY a fan effort this year. From the pilot to the mechanics, this team is made up of RACE FANS!

What an effort.... !
      Attached Files
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

People

Wayne,
        You talk about the people. On Saturday evening of the races, Steve Hinton took Dwight Thorn for a flight in the T-33 pace plane. There was a lot of people who are Dwight's friend's
        gathered aroud the T-bird as he was put in the back seat. It was for me a very moving moment to experience this and Dwight's smile when he got back said it all. When I started going to the races in 1972, it was about the warbirds. Now it's all about all the friends I've made at the races.

Wayne Cook, Race 2, Wildcat.

Comment

Working...
        X