It's a GO!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a GO!!!

Well folks it's a Go! I (actually we, wifey included) will finally attend the big race. I have been helping out on a T-6 team with lettering and they have been kind enough to invite us to attend during Sunday's big finale! Pits and all! So wave if you see me, I will be the guy floating on air with the big grin.....ok maybe not the only one who looks like that, but I'm sure us rookies have a " special" look...

Thanks to everyone here, for giving me a glimpse of this, and to the crew of T-6 Race 43....my lettering has never gone 250mph....hope it and the plane both do it soon.

Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Re: It's a GO!!!

Well a huge thank you to Wayne for his sight and all the info and excitement it brings to this sport, spectacle, and for most of you out there, lifestyle.
    I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The wife, I believe did as well, she does not do well with the sun, and boy there is alot of it, so I did my best to keep her in the shade and still see the action. But as far as the racing goes she really enjoyed it and I believe was impressed with the "big boys" (unlimiteds)....and actually near as I could tell she liked watching the jets most of all, but then shes a bigger speed freak than even I.

I think I walked the pits 6 times from the bi-plane hanger clear to the EEA tent, I managed to spare her a few of those trips though. We never made it to the grandstands, so never got that perspective. We were very fortunate to have the VIP area of the T-6 team of Midnight Miss III Dennis Buehn at our disposal, and owe he and his wife a big thanks as well, its a really great way to spend the day at the races. I might add, its very very different watching those races when you personally know someone up there....I was not expecting that. But his race went great and he ended up winning his class, so that made the day even better. And then to top it off we ended up at the awards banquet, which was an amazing experience, I dont believe I have ever been to something on that scale like that, and it was great putting a few faces to the names.

Purchased a signed PM t-shirt, thank you Thom, I will wear it very very proudly. I just love the sound of that mixer up there. There is nothing like it. Seeing Precious Metal fly was just amazing. Also seeing Czech Mate fly was a sight to behold, that thing is 100% pure racer, its proportioning, colors, and simplicity are just perfect (really need to make a model of that one).

Though I never managed an autograph from Hoot, or got to see him fly his great line in person (really really wanted those), the icing on the cake was watching Matt work his way through the field, and the pass for second in the distance on CM was epic....I thought the announcers had said he made up a full second on one of the final laps....probably not the case, but when he rounded 9 to take the white flag, that airplane sounded a heap different than it had the previous laps, to me.....and it looked like it was digging around home pylon, quite a piece of flying in my rookie opinion.

Anyway thanks folks, it was great....hope to do it again sometime.
    Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Re: It's a GO!!!

Hopefully you'll be back next year. It also gives you the opportunity to see some of the planes you have built models of in person. I can only guess that will aid in the detail you put into them.

Will

Comment

Working...
      X