Why do YOU do Reno???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do YOU do Reno???

I like to start this thread every year (or try to) to see the different reasons YOU come to Stead every year for this glorious event. I will start:

My first Reno was 2003. I saw a flyer at the local RC shop and I invited my uncle to join me for the day (lived in Elk Grove, CA) at the time. We made it up for the Friday events and I was instantly hooked! Ever since then, regardless of what's in front of me, I make this trip. I live in Boise, ID now, and in 2006, I introduced my brother to this when he returned from Iraq. He lives in Elk Grove and with me in Boise, this is the one trip a year where its GUYS only! He brings a few friends and so do I. We all know how 2011 panned out and I missed 2012 cause sometimes I don't make the best decisions. It has been two years since I have been whole...

I'm pretty sure everyone is gonna say "I love the planes" or "I love the history" or whatever it is that brings you to Stead. For me, its a weekend (sometimes a week) with my brother and our best friends. We gamble, drink gallons upon gallons of beer, get the worst sunburn of our lives or partial frostbite, enjoy the Boomtown all-you-can-eat lobster, and take in all that this event has to offer. The planes and racing/show is awesome, but I can't think of a better way to waste time with some of the most important people in my life. It something we plan the day we get home, and look forward to all year long. The weeks and days leading up to Reno usually involves some type of derogatory text messages/emails about how much money we will loose or how drunk XXXXXXX will get, or how many lobsters I will eat. I come to this web-site daily to get the latest rumors/updates to add fuel to the burn inside me.

I loose sleep over the thoughts of the upcoming weekend. I usually have to scramble to find money to make it happen (buy selling some guns or ammo) but it always works out. I road trip it 6.5+ hours just to see my brother/friends, and would drive 20+ if I had to. This is the one weekend a year where I can forgot about all the drama in my life; forget about the issues at home or at work, financials, family, etc. I come to Reno to recharge; to remember what is good in life and to spend time with my bro/best friends. And the best part is, there is some pretty damn good racing too!

Wayne, thank you from the bottom of my heart for having this outlet for us. I don't know where else I would go to get up to date info on the goings on. The members here bring awesome and interesting news/ideas/opinions and I value every one of them.

We are a special breed us race fans.

So, this is my story, what is yours. And try to be specific if you feel like it.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Why do YOU do Reno???

25 years ago, my mom's boyfriend (later to be step dad, also a pilot) talked me into flying out for my first Air Race. He lived in Sacto with mom, I lived in Chicago back then. He has a daughter in Lemon Valley so all I had to do was get there. He had been there a number of times since the early 60's. We stayed at his daughters house a few miles from Stead, I was awakened at first light by the sound of a Mustang ringing it out overhead, I ran outside in the cool morning and looked up and the saw another airplane growling overhead (turned out to be the Bear). After the races we would go back to Patty's and and grill and drink, sitting around the fire pit most of the night, only to crawl out of the rack at first light to hit the diner on Lemon drive for a greasy plate of breakfast ready for the first T-6 race of the day.

For a number of years I was out there Tuesday through Sunday, started bring friends and it became too much for all of us to crash at Patty's (we still stop there for a few cocktails). Sometime over the last few years one of our group couldn't get away and needed to bring his wife, so of course then we all started to bring the wives, now we rent a big ass house on Tahoe s west shore and the wives hang around up there, it's become a party. We still get up a first light and we slam down breakfast at the Firesign at Sunnyside and then scream down to Stead for the first T-6 race. Usually grab a JB's BBQ at noon followed by Margaritas and cold beers the rest of the afternoon, last year a friend raced his Lanceair in the sport class for the first time.

Sunday we bring the ladies down and pop for the Chairmans club so they have a cool bathroom, the open bar is a nice touch. All those years, I've seen good pilots lost, unbelievable displays of airman-ship, nail biting races, met some personal heroes such as Bob Hoover, Lyle Shelton, Tiger, Hoot, Hintons, Olds, Gardner and too many to mention. Just seeing Bob Hoover fly Ol Yeller and Shrike routine will always be a special memory for me.

I took my Stepdad to his last air race in 2010, we lost him the following spring at age 88. A WW II Veteran, Pilot, and a fine gentleman, the past few years I always think of him when I step on those hallowed grounds at Stead, Bob, thanks for the nudge to attend by first air race all those years ago, your mentoring while I was earning ratings and of course the damage to my liver..I think.

Comment

I like sitting in the stands early in the week thinking by myself and just watching and listening. You get to think of years past and hope the weekend is exciting but safe. I know the people here understand why we all go and hope to for years to come. Thanks, KC

Comment

This is typical I know, but it's all because of my father...My dad wanted to fly in WWII, but washed out of flight school so in the infantry he went...He never lost his love of aviation and especially WWII era aircraft...When I was born he passed that interest and love of aviation to me...We built airplane models and attended many airshows all through the years...Reno was always "THE ONE" we wanted to attend together, but the circumstances of life meant we never did...For years and years every fall after the races we would keep checking the dime store for the issue of Air Classics that would have coverage of the Reno Air Races...Usually that was the first we knew what had happened and it was several weeks after the actual event!!!...His favorites were Miss Candace, Miss Foxy Lady, and any Bearcat.

In 1999 I moved to California and attended my first Reno (and every one since)...I could not believe how lucky I was to finally have made it to Reno...It was everything I had built it up to be and more...I told my father about it, but he was by then suffering from Alzheimer's disease and really did not understand what I was telling him...His health deteriorated and finally failed him in 2003 having never attended Reno.

Jump a few years ahead...I quite by accident met and became friends with Will Whiteside as we lived near one another...Being the friendly type Will is, he asked if I wanted to drop by the hanger and take a look at SteadFast...I jumped at the chance and told him if he ever needed help to let me know...Of course aircraft owners hear this often and sometimes folks show up for a day or two to help and then quietly disappear...I never did...In my wildest dreams I never expected that one day I would eventually crew on an Unlimited Air Racer at Reno...I was living a fantasy in my eyes ( my wife felt a little differently at times!) and I stayed with Will and Team SteadFast until he sold her earlier this year...I will never forget the feeling after the first time working so long and hard during race week...There was exhilaration,relief,and sadness from the week ending all at once...But what stuck with me the most was the bittersweet wish that my dad would have been there...At the Banquet that Sunday night I was overcome by the emotion of it all...Hands down...The BEST DAY OF MY LIFE.

Comment

My first year at the Air Races was 1965 with my parents & family. I missed 66 & 69. Since then I haven't missed one. This year will be #47 for me (with my son & grandson).
          Last edited by Hawk P51; 08-29-2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Its a religious pilgrimage...that and the homewrecker hotdogs.....
            1. Riding my bike from Spokane to Stead is a great ride...
            2. Camping out with friends for 9 nights in the high desert...
            3. I love airplanes....my dad was a pilot in Wisconsin before WWII. My mom was one of the first women to solo in Southern WI. My Late Uncle was an Air Force Pilot who flew B17s in WWII and got the Air Force Cross in Vietnam. He is and always will be my hero.
            4. After 5 days at OSH every year, I am ready to come home....I am never ready to come home from Reno.
            5. Half my ashes will be spread over the airport when I pass on.
            6. Section 3.

Comment

Always been a plane-nut. First year for me was '72. Roto-Finish was such a beautiful bird. Love the whole bit: qualifying, the races, the air show, the people. Early week, late-in-the-day when things are winding down and ya stand on the ramp waiting for new arrivals and to see what "surprises" show up. It is INDEED a pilgrimage. The disciples of prop-wash.

Comment

Spent my childhood as an Air Force Brat. Wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember but, was never able to make a career of it due to eyesight issues. Back in 1985, I was asked by some friends if I'd like to go to Reno for the races. Not knowing anything about it, I said "why not". This trip would be my fist time in a small GA aircraft (Mooney M20) and I loved every minute of it. I started working on my pilot certificate as soon as we got back. Even through five kids and two wives, I've managed to make it most every year. See you in a few days!
                Sky Critter

Comment

I grew up flying RC (from age 5 or so) and have always loved aviation (especially military jets and WWII warbirds). In the late 80's, my dad (a contractor) happened to build a house for the late Dale Clarke (who raced the Sea Fury "Nuthin Special"). Dad went to Reno in 88 and could not stop talking about the event, with special emphasis on "you have to hear these things..." I still have the poster he brought me from that year.

I then hung around Dale's hangar while he built his Yak, and took the time to answer the questions of a (probably rather annoying) pre-teen. I will never forget asking him how much "thrust" his Yak would have. Dale looked at me with his "you really asked me that" look, over the top of his glasses and replied "thrust is for jets-we measure OURS in horsepower". While Dale was alive, he was incredibly thoughtful of my interest in these planes (I still have two signed 8x10s of the red T-33, Red Knight IIRC, one by Rick Brickert and one by Dennis Sanders that Dale sent me when he was in CA).

Unfortunately due to one reason or another, I never made it to Reno until 2011, and we all know what happened on Friday. After getting over the incident (that we were very nearly a statistical part of), I realized that even after what happened my love of these planes had not waned. I convinced Dad, and one of our two friends from that trip that we need to return. Unsure of what was going to happen in 2012 we set our sights on 2013. I can't wait! I am a gearhead, a motorsports participant and fan, and an aviation enthusiast-whats not to love at Reno!

Like I told some of my friends after returning from 2011-if you have a motorsports bone in your body, the sound of a Merlin, Griffon, 3350, 4360, or 2800 at full tilt will have the same effect as a certain blue pill...

Comment

I love seeing money converted to noise. Nowhere else on earth can one experience multiple warbirds at full throttle in horizontal flight. And they're racing. RACING!!!
                    No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                    http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I first came to Reno with my ex husband. He was really into it. I enjoyed the racing, am so-so on the airshow portion. The main reason I keep going...the people. I know a number of the pilots and crew. Some of them, I only see in Reno. As much as I enjoy the racing, for me...it's about the people and the friendships.

Comment

My Dad and I have been attending air shows ever since I can remember and I have been hooked on airplanes ever since. I think it was 1984 or 85 and we attended the Salinas Air Show and I remember Dago Red was parked in the static display area...needless to say I thought she was just beautiful and vowed that someday I would head to Reno to watch the races. Well it took me sometime to see it come to fruition. Fast forward to 2006 and Tuesday of race week. I said dammit I'm going to Reno! Called my best buddy in San Francisco and said pack your bag we are taking a flight this weekend. Upon arrival we found the Chairman's tent, beer, pits, and heaven!!! So each year it is my one event that I never miss and boy the memories have been awesome. It has become an event that I take all nine of my brothers and sisters to each year and created just a few more race fans...So with that I say to the participants and fans, fly safe and have fun! What an event.

Comment

I came for the unlimiteds and keep coming back for the people. I have met so many good friends there, and unfortunately lost a few too. Although with all the BS going on I think this will be my last year. Time to learn a new trick.

Comment

And now the problem is...I can't NOT come back. And sometimes that's not a good thing...because every year I make up my mind that I'm not going, it gets to be like the kid who doesn't want to go to bed early on New Year's Eve because they're worried about what they're going to miss.

But there are too many members of the September Family that are important enough to uproot my life for 10 days a year...regardless of what planes are racing. what the course changes are, or whatever drama is unfolding in any given year.

Comment

I don't do Reno........Reno does me. My name is Kevin, I'm strung out on air racing. I'm not gonna get my fix this year, and I'm hurtin' real bad..........

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X