• Thunder Mustang Article

Click image for larger version

Name:	lead.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	240655

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/airc...f-thunder.html

I hope that more of these get built!
    Last edited by Samuel; 09-02-2013, 02:30 PM.
    Random Air Blog

Re: Thunder Mustang Article

at 290,000$ kit cost it'd be cheaper to start from scratch... and i love the thunder mustang!
    Todd Smith

Comment

Comment

Looks like someone should attempt to set a time to climb record with one...very impressive climb performance!

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
          at 290,000$ kit cost it'd be cheaper to start from scratch... and i love the thunder mustang!
          I doubt $290K would even pay for all the tooling and engineering, and you haven't even built an airplane yet. This high cost is what prevents so many many ideas from becoming airplanes anymore..

But, if your in the Mustang market, this is a pretty good example for 1/3 the price of the real thing.
          Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

yeah... not sure i agree with that!
            Todd Smith

Comment

Wonder how much of that price is liability insurance?
              Last edited by J.A.W.; 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM.

Comment

the liability insurance would be the airplane owners responsibility, not the kit manufacturer...

between the engine, propeller and psru your looking at 100,000 right there!
                not much you can do about the cost of the propeller, but i can build an engine cheaper than that. the psru is a challenge but not a 25,000 dollar one...
                Todd Smith

Comment

The Thunder Mustang, as we know it, will never be marketed at $290K, complete. Let alone ready to fly.

Am curious what may become of future plans to once again kit this aircraft. However, those interested/intending to do so would greatly benefit by looking into selling/marketing the aircraft as a custom-built, ready to fly application.

I might guess the professional buyer should look between $500-600K to have it, hands on.

The little V-12 should not be underestimated. In fact, I think there are still many possibilities. And the world is yet to see what a working/bug-free supercharged Thunder could do.

At sea, the Thunder out-performs the P-51D in nearly every aspect. At today, that's 3/4 scale, at 1/4 the price, and way less maintenance.

- Joseph

Comment

the thunder mustang IS for sale again. thundermustang.com 290,000 is the kit price.
                    it would have to be certified to be sold as a complete airplane... at least the faa was frowning on "professional" built kits last i heard.
                    Todd Smith

Comment

Originally posted by thunderstangfan View Post
                      the thunder mustang IS for sale again. thundermustang.com 290,000 is the kit price.
                      it would have to be certified to be sold as a complete airplane... at least the faa was frowning on "professional" built kits last i heard.
                      I'm aware of the link. The question I believe it would generate, is; Is it feasible to begin manufacturing kits. Maybe if they can generate interest at 290, they can form a basis to warrant production. But when It all came to, I don't see how they could ever sell kits for under around 375, and still earn a $.

- Joseph

Comment

I've always found the Falconer V-12 intriguing. Loosely based on a Chevy; while I love Merlins and it's amazing what has been accomplished over the years.there's been a heck of a lot more folks tweaking small block Chevys over the years. Even naturally aspirated, with current piston/cam/head/ignition developments a 400" small block is generating some serious power. Now, powerX1.5= makes one wonder just WHAT could be accomplished. Love them Thunderstangs....or as someone said in another post; what about a Falconer motivated GP-5? mmmmmmmmmm......that get's my blood pumping.

Comment

they need to find a way to get that price down, not up!
                          Todd Smith

Comment

That price won't ever fly down, unless the aircraft is compromised. Sounds steep, but it was simply extremely quality controlled, throughout. I have the parts lists in my office (literally down to every nut). There were no shortcuts with the original product. And at today's prices for materials, machining, etc., etc.., I'll stand by my last post.

- Joseph

Comment

ok :-)
                              Todd Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X