Mystery plane at Stead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery plane at Stead

When I was at Stead this weekend I drove by a hanger with the door partially open. Inside I could see a set of contra rotating props. I could not say for sure but, I believe it could have been a Mustang. I did not get closer as the way the door was situated it seemed like the people inside may not want visitors. A friend of mine was out there a few weeks ago and saw the same thing.

Does anyone out there have more info?

Thanks

Re: Mystery plane at Stead

Originally posted by nevadasky View Post
    When I was at Stead this weekend I drove by a hanger with the door partially open. Inside I could see a set of contra rotating props. I could not say for sure but, I believe it could have been a Mustang. I did not get closer as the way the door was situated it seemed like the people inside may not want visitors. A friend of mine was out there a few weeks ago and saw the same thing.

Does anyone out there have more info?

Thanks

Could it be the replica project Martin Baker MB-5 that used to be (still is?) at Stead?

Comment

Is it airworthy?

Of possible interest..
      In fact -the original MB-5 was prepared for an attempt on the airspeed record held by the Germans..
      ..& made ~480mph on a hi-po Griffon/Rotol set-up, but was quashed by the Air Ministry who wanted
      all speed records done by the new fangled turbo-jets..

Comment

MB-5 replica.
        It was out of the hangar on display last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mb5-15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	225856

This is probably what you saw!
        sigpic

Comment

John Marlin is the owner/builder. Didn't mind visitors last time I talked to him.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
            John Marlin is the owner/builder. Didn't mind visitors last time I talked to him.
            Not at all...in fact, John opens the hangar doors and holds court rather often.

Comment

It's nice to know I'm not the only one poking around out there this time of year.

Those MB-5s are hard on the eyes. Obviously its a cool aircraft, it just so damn ugly.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

I remember when he had it at Chino in the early 90's when it was just a bunch of T-6 parts and I thought to myself; "He's probably bit off more than he can chew!"

Comment

Did it ever fly?
                  sigpic

Comment

Me; I like it. Maybe not the MOST beautiful aircraft ever, but it sure is unique. I think it's a great and noble effort to restore/replicate pieces of aviation history. Well done to the crew.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                      Me; I like it. Maybe not the MOST beautiful aircraft ever, but it sure is unique. I think it's a great and noble effort to restore/replicate pieces of aviation history. Well done to the crew.
                      In my opinion why this plane is "not the MOST beautiful" is because the proportions are off from the original MB-5. The MB-5 fuselage seemed to be a little longer than Marlin's plane which gave it a more streamlined look to me.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                        In my opinion why this plane is "not the MOST beautiful" is because the proportions are off from the original MB-5. The MB-5 fuselage seemed to be a little longer than Marlin's plane which gave it a more streamlined look to me.
                        And the wing was higher up into the fuselage. I agree the replica looks ungainly...

Comment

Working...
                        X