Is this a sign of things to come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a sign of things to come?

I was lucky enough to catch this angle on the Bear. It struck me as a GOOD omen.

Clay

P S Hey Rarebearfan77, HOW 'BOUT THEM HOGS?
    Attached Files
    Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Clay,

As most of you who read this board regularly know, I got slammed for covering the Rare Bear effort more closely than any other team this year.. So be it.. I found that I have offended a few of the other crews at Reno in the process.. For that, I apologize to those who feel we left them out this year..

Historically, we've always focused our limited time on the most notable story of the year.. this year, it was Rare Bear, a few years ago, it was Bill Rogers and his and Dale Stolzer's acquisition of Furias and the process of getting the bird ready to fly, and looking better..

Strega one year, MA2 our first year out of the box..

That's just what we have to do because we don't have a lot of people, read that PAID people to assign to stories, let alone pay anyone's travel expenses (let alone their long distance phone bills) to cover everyone..

That said... I have to say, the men and women of this team have done a fantastic job in getting a long idle airplane more free of squawks than I can remember in recent history... They had a couple of "self-induced" problems and a few engine related problems that were out of their control... other than that... The airplane flew well, had fewer problems, overall than in any year in recent or not recent history.

Now, if we all continue to support them with purchases in the "fan sponsor" vein, coupled with the prize money that they were able to garner in their admirable second place finish, and.. wish wish... they grab a major sponsor or two...

Maybe, just maybe, we'll really see Dago given a run for her money next time!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne I think you do and have done a great job in covering the races. I agree that you can't get to every team along the way but focusing on a single story is great in your case. Maybe next year you can be covering the project that Matt Jackson and company are working on....... HINT HINT!!
      Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

HEY CLAY!!!!!

I got your hogs!!! Like we said, double or nothin next year...LOL I am still waiting on my film to get developed. Unlike some high roller website owner i can't afford one of those "super digital cams"......lol

Comment

Re: HEY CLAY!!!!!

Originally posted by RarebearFan77
          I got your hogs!!!
          You're right John. Double or nothin'. I think we will still be able to find a reason to have a drink next year regardless of the game.

LOL Clay
          Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Yes i agree. I will be looking forward to it. I still havent emptied out the Bear brew yet. I am very curious as to how it is gonna taste. Later

Comment

I hear you Texas. The Bear was an amazing story this year. You cannot count out the job that the Miss America crew accomplished, or the Precious Metal crew, or how bout Czechmate pushing Critical Mass like she did. Let's hope VooDoo gets back in good form next year too.

I think next year will be even better than this year was. And wasn't this a great year of racing?!

Clay
              Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

I keep reading (hearing) you guys talk about Bear Brew. What is it, and where can I get it?

Race 29
                I'll drink to that!
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                  I keep reading (hearing) you guys talk about Bear Brew. What is it, and where can I get it?

Race 29
                  I'll drink to that!
                  Race,

It's a special run of beer from a local Reno brew pub. The crew figured out a way to make a few dollars for the airplane and they went to it. Last time I heard, they were just about out of it.

The only way to get it is at Reno. It's live, meaning it has to stay cold, so it can't be shipped anywhere...

It was damn good too, strong, like Bear...

(that's Indian talk case ya missed it..)

Wayne, 1/12th American Indian... Ugh!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Strong like Bear LOL!!

What I'm really looking for is a bottle, if it had it's own design (I collect unusuall beer bottles). I'm only a couple hours from Reno, so getting it back home wouldn't really be a problem. Besides, if it started to get warm and "die", I'm sure I could put it out of it's misery! (Not while driving mind you! Are there hotel rooms in Nyak?)

Race 29
                    How dry I am.......
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Last time I heard, Great Basin Brewery is still making it. It's on Victorian Square in Sparks. Across the street and to the east of the Sparks Nugget. MG
                      MG

Comment

other crews

Wayne,
                        First let me apologize for giving you a hard time when you stopped by our pit, there is a reason they call us Riff Raff and if you spend any time at all with us everyone gets "abused" at some point. You were gone before I had a chance to talk. I had a chance to meet some of the Rare Bear guys last year at Nellis. Went to dinner one night with John and some Dago guys and had a great time, especially since Mike paid.
                        I was very impressed with the Bear and crew this year and have nothing but respect for what they did, thats a complicated beast they are running and did a great job. I hope they do it again next year cause there is nothing else that sounds like her. Hope to see you again next year.
                        Ray

Comment

LOL Ray, no problem, I didn't take you guys ribbing me seriously...

I was disappointed that the sticker got removed... but.. hey.. that's the way it goes

I know that some of the teams who I count as friends were disappointed in the amount of attention we "apportioned" out this year... for that, I'm truly sorry. Given that most of effort here is now a "solo" one, at least for most of the year, and for almost all of the writing.. I just did not have it in me to cover more than I did during the off season.

I don't have a "job" per se.. I do develop and manage websites, however.. Taking on clients for the purpose of helping them publicize thier effort and make myself a few dollars to play with has seriously cut into my available, tolerable level of time at the computer for AAFO.COM...

Anyway.. I didn't take the ribbing wrong.. but I did "peel off" Mike's ad that I've run on the website since the day he put on the sticker when I got a chance...

Mebbie when I get some more stickers made up, we can renew the trade??

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

I think you were right in your coverage. The return Rare Bear was the story this year.

They were, and are, accessible. Most of the other teams are not as forth coming with information.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29
                              What I'm really looking for is a bottle, if it had it's own design (I collect unusuall beer bottles).

Race 29, Here's a look at the bottle. It's the one on the right. You can win the bottle if you can name the diecast plane in front of it, not that it is obviously Playart, but the WWII airplane. By the way, I have already poured the contents down my neck.

Clay
                              Rare Bear Fan Sponsor

Comment

Working...
                              X