Strega and Voodoo??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega and Voodoo??

Are these two planes going to be at Reno this year? If so, who are the pilots ? Thanks
    Brian

Re: Strega and Voodoo??

Steve Hinton Jr. flying Voodoo this year. They are preparing Voodoo now for this race.
    Dan

Comment

It sounds like Matt Jackson will be racing Strega after all. Go Voodoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        It sounds like Matt Jackson will be racing Strega after all. Go Voodoo!
        GO STREGA!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Why the changes in Pilots......why isn't Steve Hinton Jr. flying Strega? Also, why isn't Will Whitside flying Voodoo? just curious.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            Why the changes in Pilots......why isn't Steve Hinton Jr. flying Strega? Also, why isn't Will Whitside flying Voodoo? just curious.
            Brian
            There was a mutual parting of ways between owner and pilot...not bad in any way. "Still a happy family" according to the party line. But at the time Strega wasn't going to race, and Voodoo represented the best available vehicle combination.

The money brought to the table for the Strega ride (provided it still happens) was enough to persuade the owner to reconsider his decision to not go racing in 2013.

Comment

As a friend of mine says, "it is what it is".
              We are working on the engine and there is a plan for the aircraft.
              Matt is flying.
              And everyone is working to pull this off with whatever they can bring to the party.
              MN

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE NIXON View Post
                As a friend of mine says, "it is what it is".
                We are working on the engine and there is a plan for the aircraft.
                Matt is flying.
                And everyone is working to pull this off with whatever they can bring to the party.
                MN
                Happy Friday Young Man,

Thanks for the post, great to read little tidbits here and there.

Keep-em coming, this is turning into one hell of a suspense filled 50th.

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                  Happy Friday Young Man,

Thanks for the post, great to read little tidbits here and there.

Keep-em coming, this is turning into one hell of a suspense filled 50th.

arrrrggghhh............my favorite plane/pilot combo ripped asunder! Where to place my loyalties? Love the #7 and Steveo's one great pilot. But Matt's been tryin for so long and he deserves a win. Of course, Voodoo's been tryin for a long time too.

This could prove to be SPECTACULAR!. Now if Big Steve would jump into the fray...........WOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                    arrrrggghhh............my favorite plane/pilot combo ripped asunder! Where to place my loyalties? Love the #7 and Steveo's one great pilot. But Matt's been tryin for so long and he deserves a win. Of course, Voodoo's been tryin for a long time too.

This could prove to be SPECTACULAR!. Now if Big Steve would jump into the fray...........WOW!!!
                    You know, this could be the difference Voodoo needs to beat Strega. Its the weight difference between the pilots. Steveo is not really a big guy, and I've heard Mr Jackson isn't a small guy. Mr Whiteside is one heck of a pilot, but I wonder if the simple difference between winning and losing between Voodoo and Strega might come down to something as simple as pilot weight difference? Stiletto was fast with pretty modest power, but it was crazy light (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the lightest P-51 built? It makes me wonder what it could have done with one of the modern racing Merlins?) If Voodoo and Strega weight roughly the same empty, the difference in pilot weight might be a factor.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                      You know, this could be the difference Voodoo needs to beat Strega. Its the weight difference between the pilots. Steveo is not really a big guy, and I've heard Mr Jackson isn't a small guy. Mr Whiteside is one heck of a pilot, but I wonder if the simple difference between winning and losing between Voodoo and Strega might come down to something as simple as pilot weight difference? Stiletto was fast with pretty modest power, but it was crazy light (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the lightest P-51 built? It makes me wonder what it could have done with one of the modern racing Merlins?) If Voodoo and Strega weight roughly the same empty, the difference in pilot weight might be a factor.

Will
                      I admittedly know little about the subject but I would be very surprised if, among the many various factors to be considered, 100 or so pounds made much difference.

Comment

Matt has slimmed down before and knows how to do it. You should have seem him in 99 when he was flying the Bear. He was probably eating salads and living in the gym for months to get that skinny.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post

Matt has slimmed down before and knows how to do it. You should have seem him in 99 when he was flying the Bear. He was probably eating salads and living in the gym for months to get that skinny.
                          That's actually funny because I remember him walking into the Monday morning Unlimited pilot briefing and everyone giving him sh*t for having lost so much weight.

Comment

Even though Voodoo has, for the most part, been described as a Dago/Strega clone it has never been a dominating performer during race week. Are they still building their engines in-house? I would really love to see four unlimiteds qualify in the 490-495 range.........and make it to Sunday!!

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                              Even though Voodoo has, for the most part, been described as a Dago/Strega clone it has never been a dominating performer during race week. Are they still building their engines in-house? I would really love to see four unlimiteds qualify in the 490-495 range.........and make it to Sunday!!

Kevin
                              Voodoo's motor program was brought in-house beginning in 2009. 2010 allowed for a more thorough overhaul and 2011 showed more internal refinement. It takes time to build a program, develop the engine and airframe/systems.

Both 2010 and 2011 were cut short, so Voodoo never got the chance to perform on Sunday. In the 2010 Saturday race, the magneto switch internally arced and the result was a broken valve spring necessitating a bank change.

Michael
                              Last edited by Mluvara; 06-29-2013, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X