JETS VS UNLIMITED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JETS VS UNLIMITED

ENJOYED FOLLOWING THE RACING RESULTS.... THANKS!!

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY THE JET SPEEDS ARE SO MUCH LOWER THAN THE UNLIMITED???? DO THE JETS HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO MATCH THE UNLIMITED?

From what I understand, the jets are still a "demonstration" class. They did however announce that Mary Dilda had won the race yesterday. All of the jets are L-39's and are pretty much the same. I don't know if the L-39 has the potential to turn a faster lap than an unlimited on the same course, but I would assume so. The jets use a smaller course than the unlimiteds (6 1/2 miles compared to 8 1/2). That seems really stupid to me since racing is all about speed, and they make the jets fly a tighter course lowering their potential speed. A couple years ago Jimmy Leeward brought out his Mig-17 to race against the Stoli Migs and a couple L-39's on the unlimited course. He flew a few laps using his 'Burner (Reheat for those of you across the pond). Now THAT was exciting! I'd like to see RARA bring that back, or make it more like the Mojave jet races where any jet could race. It would have been great to see Skip in the Drakken, against a couple Mig-21's!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Honestley the L-39's don't do much for me. They are very quiet and just not exciting. I think the first year exibition with Jimmy lightin up the afterburner on his mig was awesome but I've heard that the FAA isnt much for having afterburners on the course. If thats the case then I think they need to ditch the jet class.

Comment

jets

The jets suck! and i'm not just talking air. This year there were only 4 jets, not much of a race, the planes are very quiet and there isn't much action. The L39 has no after burner and isn't very high performance, not what you think of when somebody says look a jet. Or to quote a famous F15 driver "Those are just toys"

Comment

Lets get the military involved in air racing. An Air Force vs. Marine corps vs. the Navy. A grudge match involving F-16's and F-18's would be good. Won't happen, but it would be cool to see. A vintage race with the Drakken, F-86, Mig 17, and F-4 would be interesting and very loud also.

The L-39's make a good racer simply because they are cheap (by comparison), and have good looks and performance. There does need to be more than just 4 aircraft in the race to make it interesting. I believe that RARA killed the T-28's races after just one year because they could not field enough of them to fill the field.

I believe the jet class will evolve into a good race class over time.

Kevin

Comment

Curt Brown said that the jet tops out speed-wise around 450 to 460, so no...they wouldn't go much faster if they ran the unlimited course.

Comment

Jet races!? What a joke. Why should they have them at all. The military should never be involved in them,simply because it is not a valid use for military aircraft flying on taxpayer dollars. There is no personal achievement for a military pilot in "winning" as his wages do not pay for the plane. When you see a racer like the Bear or Dago, they represent private innovation,dedication and sacrifice for a personal goal.

In my mind all of the current frontline and support military aircraft should be allowed to static display only. The Air Guard F-16 Demo was awful, no turns just level flight with AB. It was noisy and distracting as the Unlimiteds were being towed out. Nobody here denies how important these aircraft are to national security, but at Reno they are a filler act, and all of these demos are just boring. Bring back Lee Lauderback P-51 aerobatics, pay to rebuild Lefty's P-38 and have it perform, run vintage racers in exhibition, allow flying displays of more mustangs and owners to fly their aircraft "after hours" wether they race or not.

If it were a true warbird and vintage aircraft show worthy of world class status,like Wanaka,Duxford ect, it would generate its own following removed from these similar and thus unremarkable military air base airshows. The danger of other places having exhibition races is that the uniqueness of Reno may be at an end. Reno's only recourse is to remake the show for the faithful.

Comment

You pretty much answered your own argument. Reno is not about vintage warbirds, it's about racing. In turn, innovation and furthering technological advancement. As far as the airshow, the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels both run on tax dollars. Should we get rid of both teams for that reason? No, they have their place in recruting. Remember a little guy named Jimmy Doolittle? He raced for the Army and now he's a legend. Racing modern military fighters will never happen again, but I do agree that it would be very cool to see, and as a taxpayer I would have no problem helping to pay for it.
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Also part of the reason that we see so many military jet dispays is that it doesn't cost RARA any money to put it on. Although I'd love to see a P-51 aerobatic display over another F-1# display, it would cost RARA money. As the saying goes, anything good comes at a price
                  Affectionatly known as "The Polishing B*tch"

Comment

Working...
                  X