Tall Ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall Ships

So far off topic that I'm forced to post down here in the separate forum where nobody'll prolly see this but anyway. I got to do this yesterday... With almost zero wind, it was pretty slow action but visually quite amazing to be on the water with these guys..

(more later if interested)
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Tall Ships

History is never far off any topic Wayne. Thanks for posting!
    John

Loves airplanes and runs freight trains.

Comment

I have sailed on the chieftain a few times... We're you aboard the lady?

Yes, more pics please..

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        I have sailed on the chieftain a few times... We're you aboard the lady?

Yes, more pics please..
        Well, not exactly... I was aboard a litle (17') bowrider owned by a good friend. I was actually the "pilot" as well as one of the photogs.. Nice when things happen in slow motion!..

Boy. I just noticed that the attachment utility is a bit confusing after the "update" of the board software.. Kind of like, it does more, but it's harder to figure out what the simple thing that MOST of the people using the software want it to do....

Attached Files
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

While not digital photos at all, these tie in with the topic. During the summer of '94 my sophomore year in high school, I had the opportunity to take to the high seas. One of the paid crew members also crewed on Hawaiian Chieftain. The H.C was in S.F the week we departed and sailed past one afternoon while we were tied up at Hyde St pier and fired her deck guns at us.

Our boat was just a little bigger. A 188 ft Barquentine called the CSS Concordia. Here are a couple pics I shot from somewhere between S.F. and Hawaii from the lower crows nest on the Foremast.

I wish I could figure out how to stitch the images together into one single panoramic image.

Will

Comment

Hey Wayne
            We have one (almost) like that down here. Bet yours doesn't run around in circles like ours. Ours even comes with an underwater guide rail too

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bob

Comment

A pic from this afternoon.

And a few I shot a couple weeks ago. These are of the replica schooner America, the ship the America's Cup boat is named after.

162 years of America's cup technology in one shot.

Will
              Last edited by RAD2LTR; 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Nice work! I can't believe all the people on board in that last shot... There is something about sails!
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Tibia View Post
                  Hey Wayne
                  We have one (almost) like that down here. Bet yours doesn't run around in circles like ours. Ours even comes with an underwater guide rail too

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Bob
                  LOL.. they are not much bigger and are reproductions, not actual old ships. They are fun though! Really wanted to shoot them with Astoria in the background but just couldn't make it work..
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That last shot is of the Schooner America (replica), during one of the America's Cup challenger races. Lots of people spending big $ to be out on the course during the races. I won't lie, I'd love to go for a sail on the America, especially during one of the Cup races.
                    A couple more from yesterday.

Will
                    Last edited by RAD2LTR; 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Beautiful shots, beautiful ships. Just wish they would resurrect the 12M which I think were the best looking ever.

Comment

The 12 meter sloops are all business. I caught the old Oracle boat in dock. I think watching the new AC72s is pretty darn awesome, but the racing could be closer. I think once the actual America's cup races take place its going to be much better racing. Team NZ is starting to show some vulnerability lately. They look to be the best on paper, but perhaps they have just been really lucky to not have any issues till now. Its hard to say.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a chance to sail a 12 meter boat.

Will

Comment

Thanks for the photos of USA 76. While I agree the AC72s are faster and technically more advanced. To me they represent something from outer space as opposed to the 12M which just look fast moored with no sails. Sure hope that once the Cup races start for real, action will be more competitive. Would love the opportunity to go aboard one of the 12Ms to see the inside and rigging. The strain on the rigging when at full race conditions must have been unreal.

Comment

Working...
                          X