New flight test rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New flight test rule

So it looks like any aircraft that is having any major alterations has to be flight tested by 6/1/13. Not only does that change plans for a bunch of teams but also puts them in a rush. Could be interesting!

Re: New flight test rule

What do they consider a "Major Change"?
    And how do they determine the hours that are appropriate?
    Do you have a link to "The Rules"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      What do they consider a "Major Change"?
      And how do they determine the hours that are appropriate?
      Do you have a link to "The Rules"
      I would think anything that falls under FAR 43 appendix A/B. It's a great rule that needs to be firm, but it should have been a rule ten minutes after the NTSB submitted their findings on the race 177's accident. Heck as of two weeks ago many teams knew nothing about it including Nelson Ezell.

Comment

Anyone ever notice how "Sequestration" has yet to affect the manufacturers of Red Tape?

Sounds like someone has designed a rapidly moving non-existent target that can be used at any time to change the rules that no one knew existed.

Good Times...........

Good Times.........

Comment

Thanks for the update Wild Bill.

Jarrod

Comment

I wonder if Tundra tires on a "Cub" come under that rule?
            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
              I wonder if Tundra tires on a "Cub" come under that rule?
              I think they'd get you on a technicality, Bob....the Cub isn't stressed to the G tolerances to go racing.

Comment

Occured to me over the weekend that this new "rule" may have a serious impact on Czech Mate. Even though the wing is being rebuilt to stock it is still a rebuild and therefore I am sure would qualify as needing time flown off.............

Comment

Occured to me over the weekend that this new "rule" may have a serious impact on Czech Mate. Even though the wing is being rebuilt to stock it is still a rebuild and therefore I am sure would qualify as needing time flown off.............
                  Flight tested to published VNE! What is the VNE of a Yak??? There isn't a published VNE. So that could also make things interesting. What about the Bear?! Ezell knew nothing of the new rule when I talked to him a few weeks ago.

Comment

Do you have a link to this rulebook?

Unless they are planning on doing mods to the Bear it should be ok, Boiloff was installed in 2009, Same engine has been on it since 2010. Nothing I am aware of since 2009 that would be considered a major alteration.

VNE on a Yak is 5 knots slower than the wings come off..................

Comment

Do you have a link to this rulebook?

Unless they are planning on doing mods to the Bear it should be ok, Boiloff was installed in 2009, Same engine has been on it since 2010. Nothing I am aware of since 2009 that would be considered a major alteration.

VNE on a Yak is 5 knots slower than the wings come off..................
                      Just got word that the unlimiteds must be tested to 410 IAS @ 6 g's.

What if something on The Bear needs to be changed?!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                        Just got word that the unlimiteds must be tested to 410 IAS @ 6 g's.

What if something on The Bear needs to be changed?!
                        All unlimiteds, or only those with mods and or in the experimental category? Is a Tigercat rated to +6G?
                        Last edited by Race5; 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                          I would think anything that falls under FAR 43 appendix A/B. It's a great rule that needs to be firm, but it should have been a rule ten minutes after the NTSB submitted their findings on the race 177's accident. Heck as of two weeks ago many teams knew nothing about it including Nelson Ezell.
                          From the FAA defintions of Major Change and Major Repair:

Major alteration. An alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications—

(1) That might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Major repair. A repair:

(1) That, if improperly done, might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or

(2) That is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

Comment

If the F7- F Tigercat is a stocker, then as the USN would've insisted,

it must be G-stress-proofed beyond that limitation..

Don't carrier planes have 'piano off the balcony' drop test..

..for deck pancaking evaluation?

But..- how about a P-82 hauled around Reno by a brace of hot-rod Napier Sabres?

Comment

410?
                              Some of the stockers couldn't do that going straight down under power...
                              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X