Where do they find these guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do they find these guys?

After last year, I thought the announcing couldn't get much worse.
    I'd say I've been proven wrong. Sandy!!!! please come back!

Yeah I know what you mean. Sandy was at the Santa Rosa Airshow a few weeks back it was like old times!

Red
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

re:

I honestly thought Sandy was no good, or at least past his prime by far. He always got so confused that it was maddening.

At least the new guy is very funny.

Comment

I say bring back Sandy! He IS the voice of Reno!

Steve Stavrakakis was pretty good, but lose the other guys. We need someone who knows something about the sport. Wrong race numbers, wrong leaders, and wrong pilots names don't do it for me. For the rcord, Cloud Dancer is polished aluminum not white! At least give us someone who's not color blind!

I don't mean to be so harsh about this, but I've always been loyal to Sandy and never knew why they got rid of him in the first place!

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

The Gold build-up with Tiger and Alan Preston was very enjoyable. Peas
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I agree peas, I think Alan should be a permanent fixture. Let him be the color man or somthing. Frank Kingston Smith just talks too damn much during the races, gets very confused and doesn't have a clue whos flying what plane and what positiong they're in. He couldn't even give a run down in the 4 plane jet race!

Comment

Frank Kingston Smith

Frank Kingston Smith war READING off printed material and getting the names wrong. How hard is it to READ!
              He is unbelievable BAD!
              Keep Steve - that Danny guy is okay - but, PLEASE rid the airwaves of that lunatic - Frank Kingston Smith!

Comment

"That Danny guy..."

The "Danny guy" you're refering to is Danny Glisham....who was Sandy Sanders announcing partner at Reno for years. Danny did the airshow while Sandy did the racing.

Maybe the fact that they hired Danny Glisham back after the Gordon Bowman Jones experiement is a sign that Sandy might come back some day.

Speeddemon

Comment

<<Frank Kingston Smith just talks too damn much during the races>>

AMEN!! Just when you want to hear the planes coming down the valley and around the corner, what did you get?? BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, friggin BLAH! You couldn't even HEAR an airplane. The best move I made all weekend was watching the Friday Gold from the pits.

GP

Comment

Be Nice

Hey guys and gals... I can't coment on the announcing, primarily, because I never hear it in the pits or on the course...

That being said.. Everyone is intitled to their opinions but can we keep the personal attacks to a minumum here?

I have to object to things like calling someone a "lunatic"...

We've always had the "no personal attack" rule on the board and it still stands.. Particularly, with unsigned posts.

As always, feel free to express your opinions but, try to do it as though you were standing in the same room as the person, or governing body that you are expressing that opinion about.... because, in essence, in many cases, they are...

OK??

Wayne Sagar
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

.....why did Sandy stop anouncing?.......
                      ............who knows the real truth?......
                      ....Sandy's choice?....RARA's doing?......

pt 2)

.....Sandy has set the mark. His love of the sport,and submersion in it for the years he has spent will make it imposible to duplicate.

........we need to remember this and allow some (brave) soul to acclimate and enunciate.

...........and NO, not all of us will be happy......

......and yes, things can be improved from the current......

Mayday51
                      Jim Gallagher
                      Mayday51
                      Jim Gallagher

Comment

We were able to hear the announcers this year from off the race course because they transmitted on FM97.7. Mr Kingston-Smith lost some credibility with me because while being featured as a "Professional" announcer some issues back in Air & Space magazine, he seemed consistently confused, lost his composure at times, couldn't figure out the switchology for his microphone, and consistenly mispronounced pilots names.
                        Lee Behel (Beale) = Lee Buh-Heal
                        Rick Vandam = Rick Van Damme
                        Even after he was corrected, he joked that if they were going to spell their names that way, then they should be prounounced that way. In another instance, he declared of anyone accidently keying their trancievers,"they should find out who's doing that and hang their ass". This was coming from a guy who didn't realize he was hot-miked to a public address system!
                        I was also unimpressed by the his propensity for filling dead air time with inane shatter, and the clumsy attempts at remote reporting. Fortunately relief was only a volume knob away. I got the feeling that he could have done a better job overall with a little more preparation.

Mike Arn-old (not AH-nulled)

Comment

in above post, change "inane shatter" to "inane chatter", although the former does kind of fit.

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by Unregistered
                            I honestly thought Sandy was no good, or at least past his prime by far. He always got so confused that it was maddening.

I see that you didn't bother to sign your name, it couldn't be Mike Houghton could it?
                            "The Speaker"

Comment

Re: re:

Originally posted by Unregistered

I see you didn't bother to sign your name, it wouldn't be Mike Houghton would it?
                              "The Speaker"

Comment

Working...
                              X