FAI Records - Retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAI Records - Retired

FYI, in reviewing FAI Records, it appears that both Lyle Shelton and Frank Taylor records have been "retired by changes of the sporting code" (see below for officical record information).

Even with the FAI not recognizing these records anymore, I feel that fans of Aviation Records will still recognize the accomplishments of Lyle Shelton and Frank Taylor as the ultimate Aviation Records for internal combustion engine airplanes.

At this time the fastest speeds for the 3 km record (as recognized by FAI) are:

Will Whiteside 669.53 km/hr (Class C-1d)
    John Parker 601.78 km/hr (Class C-1c)
    Jon Sharp 573.46 km/hr (Class C-1b)

C-1 Speed over a 3 km course, 850.24 km/h 1989-08-21 Lyle Shelton (USA), ratified - retired by changes of the sporting code - 8437

C-1 Time to climb to a height of 3 000 m, 1 min 32 sec 1972-02-06 Lyle Shelton (USA), ratified - retired by changes of the sporting code - 8114

C-1 Speed over a straight 15/25 km course, 832.12 km/h 7/30/1983 Frank Taylor (USA), ratified - retired by changes of the sporting code - 8434

Donald McMullin

Re: FAI Records - Retired

Hummn... that seems like a crock! What'd they do... change the ratio of KMPH to MPH?
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Hummn... that seems like a crock! What'd they do... change the ratio of KMPH to MPH?
      I cannot remember the exact numbers (And it's kinda hard to find or was for me) but they relaxed the altitude restrictions for the record window both on the course and the turnaround. So technically there is more room now for deviation in altitude. They also do it with GPS rather than strobe-kinda thingamajigs.

Basically it's easier now.

So Lyle and Frank will always hold the records from when Men were Men and **** was real(=

Kinda awesome IMO

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
        I cannot remember the exact numbers (And it's kinda hard to find or was for me) but they relaxed the altitude restrictions for the record window both on the course and the turnaround. So technically there is more room now for deviation in altitude. They also do it with GPS rather than strobe-kinda thingamajigs.

So Lyle and Frank will always hold the records from when Men were Men and **** was real(=

Kinda awesome IMO
        I agree. Unless someone can go out and put 50mph on Lyle's record it will always have a Astrix by it in my book

Comment

GPS is acceptable just better technology. But someone would have to meet the same criteria as the original record in order to truly beat it. And if I recall the altitude and width corridor for the original was rather unforgiving. Someone who was there will hopefully enlighten us but I believe it took several attempts by Lyle to get the record. I also recall hearing that he had said it was the most difficult flying he had ever done. (I may be incorrect on both)

Comment

Kinda awesome IMO
            Easier on the pocketbook. It took an incredible amount of money to do those records before. Now it just gives more people the chance to go out and do record attempts, and continue to smash them. The last person to hold the C1 record is Lyle and that I think that is very cool. So be it that a legendary record dies with a legendary pilot. He earned it! Now Will Whiteside owns the new record so go out and beat it.

Let's not feel bad about starting over with new classifications, and aircraft. See it a evolution, innovation, and a new generation of people doing it. The new classifications allow for more different types of aircraft of different weights to hold more records.

C-1.a /0< 661
            C-1.a 661 < 1,102
            C-1.b 1,102< 2,205
            C-1.c 2,205< 3,858
            C-1.d 3,858< 6,614
            C-1.e 6,614< 13,228
            C-1.f 13,228 < 19,842
            C-1.g 19,842 < 26,455
            C-1.h 26,455 < 35,274
            C-1.i 35,274 < 44,092
            C-1.j 44,092 < 55,116
            C-1.k 55,116 < 77,162
            C-1.l 77,162 < 99,208
            C-1.m 99,208 < 132,277
            C-1.n 132,277 < 176,370
            C-1.o 176,370 < 220,462
            C-1.p 220,462 < 330,693
            C-1.q 330,693 < 440,924
            C-1.r 440,924 < 551,155
            C-1.s 551,155 < 661,386
            C-1.t 661,386 < 881,849
            C-1.u 881,849 <1,102,310
            C-1.v >1,102,310

Comment

I think it's kind of neat that they have re-done it, And I am definitely glad that they "retired" the old records since the rules changed. Keeps the Apples with the Apples.
              I wish they had done the same at Reno when they started adjusting the course length to make the speeds seem higher. Apples with Pomegranates there............. And with all of the course changes it's pretty dang hard to truly get a good comparison from year to year.

Oh are the weights Kilograms or Pounds?

Comment

I think it's kind of neat that they have re-done it, And I am definitely glad that they "retired" the old records since the rules changed. Keeps the Apples with the Apples.
                I wish they had done the same at Reno when they started adjusting the course length to make the speeds seem higher. Apples with Pomegranates there............. And with all of the course changes it's pretty dang hard to truly get a good comparison from year to year.

Oh are the weights Kilograms or Pounds?
                Pounds. Building an airframe for the C1a record right now. It will be the first official record for an electric airplane over 200mph if all goes to plan.

Comment

Solar, Battery, Both, or classified?

Comment

Solar, Battery, Both, or classified?
                    The latter. Also wonder if it would be possible to go for the C1e time to climb record Sunday after the Gold with PM as part of the 50th. How cool would that be for air race fans!

Comment

Would make me all giddy like a schoolgirl at a Beatles concert!!!

Comment

I've always thought that they should promote FAI record attempts at Reno. Maybe just earlier in the week? Kind of a one stop shop for all out speed, like when Jim Wright did it with the Hughes Racer. Would be a huge draw for me personally.
                        Last edited by Red; 03-13-2013, 01:48 PM.
                        Red
                        chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
                          I've always thought that they should promote FAI record attempts at Reno. Maybe just earlier in the week? Kind of a one stop shop for all out speed, like when Jim Wright did it with the Hughes Racer. Would be a huge draw for me personally.
                          I would rather strain on her for the gold THEN go for a record. Double wammy!

Comment

Setting FAI records during race week might be good for the fans. The teams however would be far too diluted in their efforts. In addition to RARA not being able to schedule an air race around an air show, then they would have airplanes that were waiting for optimal conditions. The free form event that we had in New Mexico allowed us to run when we were ready. Not when the jet racers were landing while the T-6s were fueling and the fire truck full of people that just won their heat was stopped by section 3 for a score card session.

Yes Lyle did say Chris that the 3Km. And staying under the max altitude during the turn around, getting straight and level before the gate, maintaining the 300 foot plus/minus limit in altitude was significantly harder than flying the course in clear ( relatively) air until the traffic showed up. Overall he was elated and exhausted.
                            John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                              Setting FAI records during race week might be good for the fans. The teams however would be far too diluted in their efforts. In addition to RARA not being able to schedule an air race around an air show, then they would have airplanes that were waiting for optimal conditions. The free form event that we had in New Mexico allowed us to run when we were ready. Not when the jet racers were landing while the T-6s were fueling and the fire truck full of people that just won their heat was stopped by section 3 for a score card session.

Yes Lyle did say Chris that the 3Km. And staying under the max altitude during the turn around, getting straight and level before the gate, maintaining the 300 foot plus/minus limit in altitude was significantly harder than flying the course in clear ( relatively) air until the traffic showed up. Overall he was elated and exhausted.
                              "Yeah....but what have you done THIS week?" (Randy Scoville)

Love ya, bro!

Comment

Working...
                              X