Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We lost a long time AAFO'er

Good-day to all.
    My Dad, Lowell Thompson, with heavens ticket in hand, took flight to the eternal realms of Glory, Saturday evening, March 2nd.

Attending Reno for the first time in 1972. As a high-school senior, Dad took a few precious pennies, best friend, and rattle-trap vehicle, and headed to Reno. Spending the nights in the car, the local police on guard had to ask them to relocate numerous times, and Dad had to fence-hop to get in the gates each day. But he was there! Having special interest in Slovak's Cobra "Mr. Mennen", he was most disappointed that Mira wasn't allowed to compete, upon his late arrival.

He continued to attend the races as often as possible, and took me first at the age of 3, in 1990. The trip south to Reno has been a long-standing tradition, that will continue in our family. Usually on a shoe-string budget, my best memories of Dad come during those weeks in September. His photos and videos from "Cheapskate hill", the "Valley of Speed", and other places remain treasured. He leaves behind stacks of slides, photos, and still yet undeveloped 35mm film, dating back decades. Between my brother and I, we hope to un-cover some gems, and we'll post the best of what we find in due time, for you guys!

Many folks would testify that Dad's knowledge in post-war air racing was nearly un-surpassed, and particularly of racing Mustangs and Cobras. His mind of air racing history will be greatly missed.

Working on the PAPA 51 Ltd. "Thunder Mustang" project from day one, he became very well acquainted with the investors, and builders of the many kits that were produced. He was always over-joyed when some of these would make there way to the air racing scene at Reno.

He made no enemies, and held no grudges. Dad would spend countless hours, with notebook in hand, with any other air race buff, sharing stories, legends, here-say's, and rumors. We shared his pain when personal friends like Tommy Rose, Gary Hubler, and Jimmy Leeward took their eternal flights.

Dad passed without the least bit of fear of his eternal destiny. He would want all here to know of his trust in Jesus Christ, and his confidence in that free gift of God, which is eternal life. Dad took his ticked to heaven in 1968, freely, by trusting in Jesus alone.

I would like to hold a live stream, in the coming weeks, sharing some stories, and photos, and discussing Dad life. This will be tailored to all of his friends in the aviation community, and I hope you all can join me. Will post details in due time.

Thank-you all for being such great friends over the years!

Joseph

Re: We lost a long time AAFO'er

My thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and friends, Godspeed, Blue Skies, and Tailwinds to your Dad

Chris

Comment

Blue skies Lowell...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Godspeed, Lowell. Nothing but blue skies and gentle breezes now.

Comment

"BLUE SKIES & TAILWINDS FOREVER~LOWELL"

Always enjoyed reading your wonderful site posts sharing your thoughts & reflections. Godspeed & sincere condolences to the family. You'll be both missed & long-remembered by many.

Don 'Bucky' Dawson

Comment

So sorry to hear about your loss, our sincere condolences to your family.

The pictures you posted were priceless, the love of aviation starts at a young age.

The Reisel Family of Reno, Nevada

Comment

With Lowell's passing, our world is just a bit darker. But our lives have been made brighter just by knowing him, and his memory will forever live on with us.

Well done, thou good and faithful servant.

My sincerest condolences to you Joseph, and the rest of Lowell's family and friends.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

You have my sincerests condolences Joseph. I have a great lil note in my PMs from your dad, its great he shared some of his personal experiences with me.

I could never tell if his updates of last Sept were first hand accounts, I had always hoped he was able to make it last year...did he?

You and your family take care...pretty sure he is sporting some nice polished aluminum wings up there!!
                Fledgling Air Race and P-51 Junkie

Comment

Joseph,

Sorry to hear that your father has passed. I’m glad I was able to meet him. I remember good times talking to him at our campsite at Reno. Your right, your father had an encyclopedic memory when it came to air racers. I remember buying you and your brother’s drawings of air racers in the stands when you were barely in elementary school!

You know you and your brother are always welcome to set up a tent at my campsite.

Give Benjamin my best.

John Handcock

Comment

My sincere condolences to your family. For some reason Lowell entered my thoughts last week, and I thought about posting an inquiry concerning his condition.....I just never know how to word something like that.

It was great to see him posting again before Reno last year. Blue Skies Lowell.

Kevin

Comment

1972 was my first Reno race as well.

Blue Skies to your Father.

Comment

I was the same as Kevin. It's hard to ask about such things. I always enjoyed the thoughts, memories, and post from your dad. I will lay down with tears in my eyes tonight. But I find comfort that Lowell will have no turbulence and blue skys from now on.

Can you imagine the horsepower he's requesting from Dwight Thorne right now?!!

Race 29
                        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I'm so sorry. My condolences. May our Heavenly Fathers peace be with you and your family.

Comment

I did have many e-mail exchanges with Lowell over the years regarding P-51s as well as old and current racers. This going back over a decade to when we were corresponding about a P-51D he had prior knowledge of over at mustangsmustangs.net. He was always keen to talk about his favourite topics and was very knowledgeable about it.

Unfortunately we never managed to meet face to face, and I will now also deeply miss the e-mail communication with a fellow warbird/ racing enthusiast.

My condolences to the family.

T J

Comment

Prayers for you and your family. A true racing fan & Blue Skies Forever Lowell.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X