2013 Unlimited Gold Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 Unlimited Gold Lineup

There have been rumors (& probably fool's hopes) about some racers making it back for the 50th. Assuming that these said racers make it back, we could see quite the Gold lineup this year. In Race Number order:

Race 4, Dago Red: From what I hear, it's in pieces somewhere...but I've seen a couple of mentions that she could come out of nowhere for the 50th.

Race 5, Voodoo: SOOO many rumors on this girl making it back.

Race 7, Strega: What if "Tiger" says "What the heck...it's the 50th!"

Race 8, Dreadnought: As usual.

Race 15, Furias: Rumors have varied...from "inside" sources saying that hopes were high and progress was already underway to repair her...to talks of selling what's left...who knows...I have see na picture of her online that appears to support the first statement, but I cannot tell what date it is...makes me wonder if it was taken before the 2012 races.

Race 38, Precious Metal: The team's Facebook page is lit up with the mods they are making for this year.

Race 77, Rare Bear: Talk swirls back and forth about the future for the King Cat...rumors of moving her to Texas...or Chino...still in Stead for now...who will be on the crew and who will pilot her...lots of speculation here.

Race 86, Czech Mate: The wing is still being built...rumors swirl about what improvements have been made, especially since she was supposed to make the big dance last year.

Race 232, September Fury: After burning a piston on a "brand new" engine in 2011, the slow-nose case was put on the end of yet another "brand new" engine. Since 50 hours could not be put on the motor in time for Reno 2012, the power settings were conservative and still gave "Hoot" his best finish at Reno for 2nd Place. Wonder what the power settings will be this year?

This is all hypothetical, of course...but that's a pretty impressive lineup...if they let 9 aircraft race in the Gold Final. Just food for thought on a very early silly season thread.
    Last edited by Tigercat24; 02-14-2013, 10:23 AM. Reason: Grammar error.
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: 2013 Unlimited Gold Lineup

Oh this should get everone riled up LOL

Come on September

Comment

Sparky wins!
      If you saw the Imax spectacular you know she's stiff competition for Strega.
      It would really be cool to see Dread, CM and PM dueling for the middle of the pack, ASSUMING (there's that word again) that the Bear, 232 and Furias are out front and Strega returns.
      It would be exceptionally wonderful to see PM beat the pants off of all of them, but maybe not quite yet...
      Of course all bets are dependant (as usual) on who is still running good on Sunday afternoon. It COULD end up being Sparky.
      Heck, Miss Suzy Q did it.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
        Mock not the legacy of the most fabulous paint job to ever bend the pylons!

Comment

That was naught but Pure Leetness!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            Sparky wins!
            If you saw the Imax spectacular you know she's stiff competition for Strega.
            It would really be cool to see Dread, CM and PM dueling for the middle of the pack, ASSUMING (there's that word again) that the Bear, 232 and Furias are out front and Strega returns.
            It would be exceptionally wonderful to see PM beat the pants off of all of them, but maybe not quite yet...
            Of course all bets are dependant (as usual) on who is still running good on Sunday afternoon. It COULD end up being Sparky.
            Don't count on us being in that mid-pack dueling. We got the engine and propeller program where we wanted last year and now it time to make her slick. I have several MPH of proven mods sitting in my hangar as I type, and Thom is working on the rest on the right coast. With the addition of a few key crew members the crew is as solid as it can be. The formula is all there, but only the last 500 yards on Sunday count as you said.
            Last edited by Wild Bill Kelso; 02-14-2013, 10:52 AM. Reason: Forgot what coast I'm on!

Comment

Silly Season....The extreme pessimist forecast...

No Strega - Collecting cobwebs in a hanger

No Voodoo - For sale

No Furias - Rebuild not complete

No Czechmate - Rebuild not complete

No Precious Metal - EPA bans 100LL and trans-continental flight becomes unaffordable

Rear Bear qualifies #1 but is a DNF on Sunday with a cylinder problem

232 qualifies #2 - but is a DNF on Sunday with a cylinder problem

Sunday gold finishing order....
              Dreadnaut, Sawbones, Argonaut, Miss America, Sparky, Speedbal Alice

Comment

I would never mock the great Suzy! Only that it was stock and not even near favored to win. But circumstances... I still remember the picture in AC of the "stocker he bought after his win" to REALLY go racing, the future Miss Foxy Lady.
                And Wild Bill, PM is well on it's way and I wish the best to the team and machine. I will be more than happy to be wrong and have her well out in front!
                N22252, close but due to low visibility everybody but Brant cuts pylon 4...
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Dago: No way
                  Voodoo: Very doubtful
                  Strega: Who knows....anything is possible. At least it is still in good shape and only in need of normal prep.
                  Furias: No way
                  CM: If Smoot is at PRS then it's probably going to make it. Probably a good chance
                  Bear: ummm....
                  Spirit of Texas: If Bear is a no go could that prompt Stu to bring SOT back? Doubtful, but maybe.
                  232: If Bear is a no go, I expect to see 232 pushed.

Comment

"No Precious Metal - EPA bans 100LL and trans-continental flight becomes unaffordable" Now that's funny!

You don't know Thom! If that happened it would be on a truck headed west and still in Reno.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                      You don't know Thom! If that happened it would be on a truck headed west and still in Reno.
                      My prediction for 2013: You guys become the new "fan favorite"... This is exactly the RENO spirit that has made this sport what it is and will always be!

GO PM 2013!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I second that statement.

Go PM Go

Comment

I think they already are.
                          Here's to all the others, may they eat mixmaster propwash!
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Funny how we change over time. I used to hate, HATE!! the RB-51. Now I'd give my eye teeth to see her bending the pylons. Watching PM evolve is just fantastic. A battle between her, Furias and the Buick would be epic...

Not sure I'm prepared to root for more blades over more cylinders, at least not quite yet.
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

So all of this scandalous thinking, and nobody feels that maybe Whiteside would arrive in a certain very LARGE nosed Yak ?

Sorry Will!

Comment

Working...
                              X