OT but its racing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT but its racing....

heya race fans, a little news from downunder that has a US twist to it, The last couple of weeks have seen the start of reveals for the 2013 V8 Supercar race teams in Australia. The series has undergone a major transformation this year with the introduction of the Car of the future regulations. This means the 2013 and beyond spec cars have a common floor pan, and rollcage, with the body panels attached for the manufacturer similar in concept to NASCAR. Over the last 20 years of V8 Supercars in this part of the world, it has been a 2 make series with Ford and GM's local company Holden racing Falcon and Commadore race cars. These are produced in Australia and as such has got almost fanatical backing, your either Blue or Red.... But COTF regulations means any car company can now enter, as long as they produce a vehicle with a V8 engine option. With this freedom, Ford and GM are joined by Nissan and Mercedes Benz, Nissan are running a V8 RWD race car based on the Altima Family Saloon, and MB are using the new E class as the base to their cars. GM, Ford and Nissan all are factory supported, and have a 'works team' where as the Merc's are not a Factory supported team, but a Customer team of AMG racing designing and building their own cars.
    What is the American link i here you asking, this year, V8 Supercars are holding a round at the new Circut of America's in Texas, and this year, you will be able to buy a Chevy SS sedan that was built in Aussie, thanks to the SS Commadore being rebadged and sold to the American Markets...
    Check out this years Holden (Chevy) factory team

Fords Factory team

Nissan Motorsport

These cars are awesome, cars that weigh about 3000lbs, have 600+ hp and belch fire!
    check out Darrell Waltrips ride around the Bathurst Street Circut a couple of years ago...

The tech center at the end of the clip, is present at most race meets, and during the race coverage they will talk to Mark Larkham (in the race suit talking to DW) who is a former driver and team owner in V8 supercars and he explains what they talk about when the coverage listens in to drivers talking about changes to the car and shows what they mean using parts and diagrams.
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Re: OT but its racing....

Thanks for the link Kiwi. I have been following V8 supercars for years, and they put on some of the best road racing in the world. The new cars with their transaxels and irs should be crazy fast. I think they are testing this weekend.

Comment

No Problems, yes they are testing this weekend, it is a compulsory test day, so all 28 cars are testing, so it will be very very interesting to see how the Nissan's and AMG's go for the first major hit out.
      They are definitely going to be faster i think, they have also increased the size of the rubber going to the road as well, the old cars ran a 17" tire and the new cars are now running an 18" tire that is also a little wider, so the grip will be up a bit too. Should be an exciting year

Comment

I love the V8 supercars and plan on being at COTA for the race here. That series is what NAPCAR should be.

Comment

Race5 i agree wholeheartedly... on a news front. Erebus racing unveiled the new amg e63 racer last night http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105560

Comment

Working...
          X