Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photos of Hanger One at Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA. Former home of USS Macon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photos of Hanger One at Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA. Former home of USS Macon.

Just saw this in the local paper. Looks like 6 months ago they began removing the toxic sheet metal skin of Hangar One at Moffett Field, CA. 198 feet high and can fit 10 football fields inside. Last of the giants.

http://photos.mercurynews.com/2013/0...ook-back/#name here
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM.

Re: Photos of Hanger One at Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA. Former home of USS Maco

Boy I bet that kept the unemployment rate down. I was at Sunnyvale,CA working for Lockheed right next door for a few years & was inside during Air Shows where they had a ton of vendors,etc displaying their wares.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Re: Photos of Hanger One at Moffett Field, Mountain View, CA. Former home of USS Maco

Hangar One stood as a monument as Sillycone Valley grew up around it. Many memories of the great airshows at Moffet Field. I worked about a quarter mile away from the south end of the runway in 1973 when a Nasa Convair 990 and P3 Orion midaired directly over our building and crashed onto the Sunnyvale Municipal golf course killing 7. Best airshow act--Definitely the Luftwaffe flying F104s. We could see almost daily U2 takeoffs from my apartment and we were in the landing path also. Quite a sight seeing two P3 Orions coming in abreast for landings every day. Maybe someday there will be money to reskin Hangar One and restore it to its original beauty and prominence.

Comment

I remember an "Aussie" P3 landing & then burning on the runway but the crew got out safely. I do have a VHS by KTVU -2 named "The Last Airshow" Moffett Field'92". I was there & only viewed it twice. 4 sale $20.00.
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

The Convair 990 was a flying observatory for NASA Ames. There was only one survivor in the accident-one of the P3 crew members was thrown clear of the wreckage. He was seriously injured but survived. Both aircraft landed on the Sunnyvale Municipal Golf Course-we could see the wreckage and the fire from the rear of our building on Maude Ave. Hiway 101 which is between Moffett and the golf course was closed for the rest of the day for emergency vehicles. The accident was later attributed to Air Traffic Control error, both aircraft were mistakenly instructed to land on the same runway instead of parralel runways. According to carpenters working on the roof of our building, the aircraft collided overhead and their momentum carried them another300 yards or so onto the golf course.

Comment

Many fond memories of the place. Best Airshow EVER was the '61 50th anniversary of Naval Aviation. I think every plane they ever had in the inventory was there. Race between an '11 Curtis Pusher and a new F4. Blue Angels, Great Show.

Yeah, Hangar One is an icon visable for miles. Sure hope they continue with the restoration.

Comment

Working...
            X