Painting Leather Flight Jackets Now Too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Leather Flight Jackets Now Too

Just branched out a bit, and am now painting aviation art on the back of leather flight jackets. Learned up on how to go about it, and here's how my first commission turned out. (On a German Air Force jacket)

Looking forward to doing some Air Race jackets!
    Attached Files
    DB

Re: Painting Leather Flight Jackets Now Too

Is there no end to your talent?
    So what's next? Tattoo shop set up for the air races?

Comment

What kind of paint did you use?

Comment

Hi Randy - I used Acrylic for its flexibilty - 'Liquitex' brand. Rubbing aclcohol first to clean off whatever finish the leather might have, then the first couple coats kind of thin and watery so the paint will start to soak in a bit to create a better bond. Afterwards a matte waterbase sealer to protect it all. Seemed to work pretty good!
        DB

Comment

GREAT WORK, approx cost ??
          Need a C-130 Nose w/ a sign on the chalk # window " This is an unmarked garbage truck " I have a pic
          Ken

Comment

Hi Ken, Thanks! Cost around 400.00-ish for the artwork (I don't handle or have jackets, the one I just did was sent to me. ) Also depends on how complex it would all be. I can give you a solid quote once I see your picture. You can e-mail me at dave@dbmueller.com Looking forward to seeing it!

Thanks!
            Dave
            DB

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal1 View Post
              Is there no end to your talent?
              So what's next? Tattoo shop set up for the air races?
              I actually had that thought a few years ago.
              Then decided against it as I would miss most of the racing sitting in a booth.

Awesome work by the way!
              Last edited by WARPT; 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Daver View Post
                Hi Randy - I used Acrylic for its flexibilty - 'Liquitex' brand. Rubbing aclcohol first to clean off whatever finish the leather might have, then the first couple coats kind of thin and watery so the paint will start to soak in a bit to create a better bond. Afterwards a matte waterbase sealer to protect it all. Seemed to work pretty good!
                When I've done my jackets (after figuring it out the hard way on the first one) I will take it off the mounting between layers and stretch the leather out underneath the paint. That seems to help the acrylic mold better to the cracks and folds in the hide and resist cracking over time.

Comment

Working...
                X