Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mojave, Race course(s)

Good-day,
    I am looking for any information that I can find, to reference the race course(s) used at KMHV (Mojave). Any old photos, or materials, would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Joseph

Re: Mojave, Race course(s)

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    Good-day,
    I am looking for any information that I can find, to reference the race course(s) used at KMHV (Mojave). Any old photos, or materials, would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
    Joseph
    How about the original course map laid out by Greenamyer for the California 1000 in 1970? I can share that.

They had some diagrams in the Mojave programs too, but they weren't nearly as detailed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-27-2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Thank-you Big Jim!

That's a first time I've seen that one!

Comment

Geez, where was that kind of info when we were figuring out the 64-65 Sky Ranch course?
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Hey Guys

All I have here at this desk are 74, 75, 76. Which appear to be notionally the same course.

Big things to notice are; the 1000 mile course that Big Jim posted is a right turn course and so are the shorter 8.5 mile course/courses. You'll also see there is a third course, the jet course (11.5 miles), in years 74 and 75.

My favorite difference between the Mojave races and the Reno races is the runway used. At Reno the crowd line is on the short runway (runway 8-26) where as in the Mojave races the crowd line is the long runway 12-30. This is despite the two airports having similar runway layouts. I think it is interesting because the ramp at Mojave is in the same place it is at Reno, on runway 8-26, so therefore the pits (which have to sit on the ramp to be out of the dirt) at the Mojave races would have been effectively where the church is at Stead, sort of behind all the action rather than right up there with it. Its interesting to think how that would change the experience for the participant and the fan. As a result you can see in the videos of the California 1000 races when they did pitting during the race they did it over on 30, effectively in the same place we do it at Stead, right by the action. But these were pitting stalls that were shared between teams. Kind of cool.

Sorry to ramble, pictures attached.

What are you working on tonight?
          - Race 68
          Wasabi
          Attached Files

Comment

Even more interesting,

In the 75 program you posted. It shows the F1, Sport bipes, and the T-6's flying left turn course. But the Unlimited's flying right turn course.

Kind of cool to think about what it would be like in Reno/Stead if they ran that kind of course.

Comment

Originally posted by laminar View Post
              My favorite difference between the Mojave races and the Reno races is the runway used. At Reno the crowd line is on the short runway (runway 8-26) where as in the Mojave races the crowd line is the long runway 12-30. This is despite the two airports having similar runway layouts. I think it is interesting because the ramp at Mojave is in the same place it is at Reno, on runway 8-26, so therefore the pits (which have to sit on the ramp to be out of the dirt) at the Mojave races would have been effectively where the church is at Stead, sort of behind all the action rather than right up there with it. Its interesting to think how that would change the experience for the participant and the fan. As a result you can see in the videos of the California 1000 races when they did pitting during the race they did it over on 30, effectively in the same place we do it at Stead, right by the action.
              Here's the thing to remember...at the two 1000 mile races at Mojave, there was a designated 'refuelling pit' that was in the infield. I've tried to highlight it on the chart. The race was flown with right hand turns because of the prevailing winds that came out of the west down off the Tehachipi range. With the number of aircraft that were on the race course at the time, they didn't want the planes coming into refuel landing 'into' the oncoming racers, rather they wanted them landing with the flow of the course. So the theory was to have them land and taxi straight to the refuelling pit (which was the overrun for the east-west runway at the intersection). When they were done, they took off to the north on the small taxiway and rejoined the race course at Pylon 4.

At Mojave, because of where the cold pits were, you really couldn't see the race course from them. But it wasn't that far of a walk to get over to the grandstands....really not much more of a walk than it is to go from the T-6 pits to the grandstands at Reno, it's just they were at an angle to one another.

I kind of liked the fact that when they started up the 'regular' Mojave races in '73 that even though the Unlimited course was reduced to 8 miles, they still kept it a clockwise course. Made it unique and different from Reno.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-28-2013, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Very interesting indeed. So, it would appear, that maybe the 'Jet' course, was run essentially on the same layout as the 1000?

I wonder what the T-6 guys felt like on that little 3.6 mile course?

The right-hand turns, and prevailing winds does make sense. would seem that wind would be the norm.

Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
                  Very interesting indeed. So, it would appear, that maybe the 'Jet' course, was run essentially on the same layout as the 1000?

I wonder what the T-6 guys felt like on that little 3.6 mile course?

The right-hand turns, and prevailing winds does make sense. would seem that wind would be the norm.

Joseph
                  Yes, the jets ran on the old 1000/15 mile course.

You also need to remember that from 1968 until the fatal mid-air between Dmitri Prian and Don DeWalt in 1978, the T-6's ran on the same 3 mile F-1/Biplane course at Reno...with race horse starts. To think of it now seems like madness. But back then it just 'was what it was'. Normal.

Comment

Okay, that makes sense, in a strange way. Makes me wonder now, what the size of the T-6 course was at Cape May?

Comment

Fly low, fly fast, turn right...?
                      Attached Files
                      No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                      http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I had the same question a few years back. I happened to be in the area so I snapped this pic. Speedy filled in the rest.

Red
                        chanting...400+

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
                          I had the same question a few years back. I happened to be in the area so I snapped this pic. Speedy filled in the rest.

Awesome! Thank you for posting!

-Race 68
                          Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by Red View Post
                            Holy Cow, Red. I forgot about that. Yeah, me and BCIV were going over all the pictures and stuff. That made me smile.

Comment

Working...
                            X