Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kermit Weeks acquires Hughes S-43 -- is H1 next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kermit Weeks acquires Hughes S-43 -- is H1 next?

Howard Hughes S-43 will fly again. After sitting in a hangar in south Houston for years, this great aircraft will finally get the love and attention it desperately needs. Can't wait to see it splash the water again.

Re: Kermit Weeks acquires Howard Hughes Sikorsky S-43

Another cool story involving Kermit. His "Kermi-cam" videos and this one are great watching. Anyone think Kermit "idolizes" Howard Hughes? Just in the love for airplanes, and specifically, amphibious airplanes. But, I guess many aviation enthusiasts, pilots, etc appreciate what Mr. Highes did for aviation. In some respects, Kermit Weeks is preserving what HH started. Any chance Kermit acquires the Spruce Goose? (j/k, although that would be the ultimate addition to Kermit's amphibious airplane collection)
    Tommy

Comment

Only if he flew it from McMinnville to Orlampa

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
        Any chance Kermit acquires the Spruce Goose? (j/k, although that would be the ultimate addition to Kermit's amphibious airplane collection)
        Tommy
        You have to be dreaming - the museum that houses the Spruce Goose or the plane would have to be dis-assembled to get the job done. The museum appears to have been built around her, in case you have never been to McMinnville.

Comment

Several years ago, I read an article that said Mr Weeks had a dream/goal of owning a Martin Mars. The Mars is probably slightly more obtainable than the Hughes Hercules, and it might be a little more upto the task of making the cross-country to Florida ... now just how much gas and oil would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
            Several years ago, I read an article that said Mr Weeks had a dream/goal of owning a Martin Mars. The Mars is probably slightly more obtainable than the Hughes Hercules, and it might be a little more upto the task of making the cross-country to Florida ... now just how much gas and oil would that be?
            One of the two remaining Mars is going to a museum in Maryland soon. The other is still operated by Coulson Flying Tankers and is slated to go to a Canadian museum when retired. I don't think Kermit will be able to get his hands on it unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by ShermB View Post
              You have to be dreaming - the museum that houses the Spruce Goose or the plane would have to be dis-assembled to get the job done. The museum appears to have been built around her, in case you have never been to McMinnville.
              It was in jest, hence the "j/k".

Comment

They did it once already so not too far fetched.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  They did it once already so not too far fetched.
                  Even less far fetched than anyone might think. It was disassembled and brought up here via barge, then overland with BIG moving trailers. It sat across the highway mostly covered in plastic for years prior to funding the first museum building. Then they reassembled it within the new structure. Brought it in in the same pieces they shipped it.. As I remember, they either did not complete the back of the building prior to moving it in, or.. I think, more likely, they have a HUGE set of doors at the rear of the building.

That said... It would never fly again, ever... too much done to it for display purposes so, if it were to go down there.. and I do know, we're just chewing the fat for the sake of wasting our time... , it would have to be barged. That'd mean all the way down the coast, then through the canal, back up the coast.. We were all so nervous up here while she was in transit the first time, I can not even imagine the MUCH harder longer trip... I think she's here to stay..

Possible??? Yup, anything's possible..
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The HK1 is an impressive machine. I shot these December 2011

Yeah, it looks pretty happy where its at. Boy would it be cool to see it fly again though. I guess all it really needs is cubic $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and anything is possible.

I do think the fact that Kermit Weeks plans to fly the Sikorsky is really awesome.
                    Will

Comment

Spruce Goose: How'd they get it in the building?

Dragging this further off topic... I remember now how they got the Goose into the building..

In the picture, the airplane is already inside, has had the wings mounted and is getting the engines in. You'll see the big roll up door, and the glass wall above it... get the picture? All of that was left undone until she was inside. Would be minimal building disassembly to get her out...

Remember, those were purpose built buildings, they knew they'd be bringing in many airplanes of all sizes...

Dunno if everyone here knows, I was involved, early on, pre museum buildings days, with the HK1 project.. Built their first website, was considered a volunteer... Got to fly on some of the museum's "then flying" collection.. Frankly, once the decision was made to build the museum as a "non flying" museum, across the highway from the logical location.. my interest in the two hour drive out there "Wayned"...

It has turned out to be an important museum, but... not what was originally envisioned by the museum's original founder... Was to be a FLYING collection... That part, to me, is sad... but it was fun while it lasted!!

Some stuff I did back then... http://aafo.com/cgi-bin/search/searc...its=10&Rank=11

Returning your thread to topic...
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

That looks like a big project to take on. How much money do you think you'd have to spend, parts (whatever the going rate is) and labor ($15-20/hour) to get the the plane up and flyable? I'd guess, $250,000-500,000? Who's the estimator how here?

Comment

I seem to recall seeing some slight wrinkles in the wing structure just behind a coupe of the engine nacelles, and that was 20-30 years ago. I would add one, or maybe even two zeroes to the "get it flyable" estimate. How much would it cost to check/freshen eight 4360s? There goes your budget right there.
                          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
                            Any chance Kermit acquires the Spruce Goose? (j/k, although that would be the ultimate addition to Kermit's amphibious airplane collection)
                            Tommy
                            Chances are better than you might think. The way things are going in McMinville there might be a large airplane auction soon.

Comment

So when the decisions was made to get the plane into a museum the crew maintaining the plane or Hughes were contacted by someone in Japan. Their response when looking into how to get it there was "fly it". They were very confident it would make it their just fine.

Of course in the end it was just towed over to where it was displayed in Long Beach. Would have been something if it had been back in the air again.

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Working...
                              X