82 pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 pics

A great year. Super Corsair, Dago, Jeannie and a P-51B. I was in heaven...
    Attached Files
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Re: 82 pics

Is that Bob Yancy in race 101?

Cool shots.

Will

Comment

Nice, Leo.

A color picture of Del Williams' rookie-ride: Joe Banducci's ex-Ciuchetton, now the No Name Lady. There aren't a lot of pictures of that plane from '82 floating around.

Comment

'82 was my first Reno, I was 10 years old! I think I still have the program somewhere along with the T-shirt that Dad got me. (No, it don't fit no more!) I was there on Saturday and it was freakin' cold for this Arizona boy.

Comment

Nice, thanks for posting.

Jarrod

Comment

82 was my first year as well, but I was 5.

Comment

Let's just say I was in my "20's"...
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I gotta ask -

How do you pronounce "Ciuchetton" ?

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                  I gotta ask -

C U cheat'n

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                    I gotta ask -

"Chuke-a-tone"

If I remember right it was Italian slang for "little donkey" or "jackass".
                    Last edited by Big_Jim; 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

GREAT PICS!! 82 was my "lost" year. I hitched a ride with some rookies and they whimped-out and stayed in the car to keep warm. I wandered the pits during the rain while they stood down.

Loved Cuichetton; what a great bird. Question: Cuichetton>No Name Lady> Georgia Mae? Georgia Mae was another of my all-time favs.

Comment

Originally posted by V1670 View Post
                        GREAT PICS!! 82 was my "lost" year. I hitched a ride with some rookies and they whimped-out and stayed in the car to keep warm. I wandered the pits during the rain while they stood down.

Loved Cuichetton; what a great bird. Question: Cuichetton>No Name Lady> Georgia Mae? Georgia Mae was another of my all-time favs.
                        No, Georgia Mae was Jack Sliker's old Escape I. And here is the Wiley Sanders connection:

Mac McClain was friends with Jack Sliker. McClain raced Escape I for Sliker in 1973...the year Sliker was racing the Roto Finish (but had it up for sale). McClain brokered the deal for Ed Browning to buy the Roto Finish and race it as Red Baron. When Mac was replaced by Darryl Greenamyer in 1977, Mac got Sliker's widow to let him run Escape I at Reno. Wiley Sanders had a Kenworth truck dealership (along with Sanders Trucking Lines) in Alabama, where Mac was from. Mac got Wiley to have Kenworth sponsor Escape I at Reno in '77 (and '78, though they had mechanical issues and DNQ). That led to Wiley purchasing Miss Candace after the '78 races and running it as Jeannie with Mac as pilot.

Mac passed from cancer in 1982, but after Wiley sold Jeannie to Leeward in 1983, he bought Escape 1. It ran as Coyote at Bakersfield '85 with John Putman, and from Reno '85 through Dallas '90 as Georgia Mae.

Comment

And was it Putnam that got a crosswind and cartwheeled the airplane at Reno 85?
                          airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                            No, Georgia Mae was Jack Sliker's old Escape I. And here is the Wiley Sanders connection:

Mac McClain was friends with Jack Sliker. McClain raced Escape I for Sliker in 1973...the year Sliker was racing the Roto Finish (but had it up for sale). McClain brokered the deal for Ed Browning to buy the Roto Finish and race it as Red Baron. When Mac was replaced by Darryl Greenamyer in 1977, Mac got Sliker's widow to let him run Escape I at Reno. Wiley Sanders had a Kenworth truck dealership (along with Sanders Trucking Lines) in Alabama, where Mac was from. Mac got Wiley to have Kenworth sponsor Escape I at Reno in '77 (and '78, though they had mechanical issues and DNQ). That led to Wiley purchasing Miss Candace after the '78 races and running it as Jeannie with Mac as pilot.

Mac passed from cancer in 1982, but after Wiley sold Jeannie to Leeward in 1983, he bought Escape 1. It ran as Coyote at Bakersfield '85 with John Putman, and from Reno '85 through Dallas '90 as Georgia Mae.
                            Thanks, Big Jim.......your posts are always informative and I love the background on the planes and pilots: have you ever thought of writing a book? And on the subject of Roto-Finish: '72 as my first year and Balz won the biggie in that bird. But, what was the deal in '73? I thought John Wright bought it to race. What I remember from all those years back was I only saw it in the "bear-lair" at the east end of the field. I didn't get to see it run. And then 74 it was the Red Baron, but still Merlin-powered with Mac up.

Please keep the info comin'; this junkie needs a fix during this down time Can't wait for Sept.

Comment

Thanks Big Jim for turning a few faded pictures into a history lesson!
                              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X