Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunday 8am. Mavericks Big Wave Surf Contest Online & Free, Half Moon Bay, CA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday 8am. Mavericks Big Wave Surf Contest Online & Free, Half Moon Bay, CA.

Starts 8am Sunday, free live online viewing. Similar to what the Reno Air Races could look like someday if they did a similar webcast.

Surf Forecast, Go here and then click on Pillar Point at the top: http://stormsurf.com/locals/ncal.shtml

What's interesting about this event is it's been forced to change over the years. Early on, spectators were allowed to the event. The spectators started climbing up the hillsides for a better view, many of them fell and were injured, traffic became a nightmare, not enough bathrooms etc. For a while they had a pay per seat big screen at Pac Bell Park where the SF Giants plays Baseball. Now the event is closed to the public with the exception of a Festival Area where they have a big screen TV to watch it from and they are doing live webcasting.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM.

Re: Sunday 8am. Mavericks Big Wave Surf Contest Online & Free, Half Moon Bay, CA.

I've been trying to connect this morning on my smartphone and had no luck, as though they are having website problems. 12:15pm just tried on my laptop and website is still down.

Has anyone had any luck watching the webcast?

Comment

Re: Sunday 8am. Mavericks Big Wave Surf Contest Online & Free, Half Moon Bay, CA.

1:50pm, Live Feed working, but only for a few minutes.

4:45pm, Live Feed working, event over, showing highlights.

Based on my viewing, I think the website was down for most of the day.

GoPro Cameras was a Sponsor so many/all of the surfers had cameras mounted on their boards and the data was shown shortly after it was downloaded and shown on the Webcast.

5pm, Webcast over.

Winners details here on facebook search Mavericks Invitational.

According to the video on facebook titled "2013 Mavericks Invitational Awards Ceremony" the first place winner said the 6 finalists decided to pool the winnings and divide them equally. Commendable behavior for all of them. It allowed the competition without the bad feelings if somebody got too aggressive.
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-21-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

It looks like you can watch all/part of it again on Red Bull TV online. If you go to 2:15 minutes or more into the video, you can watch some of the early rides in the event.

Discover worldwide Red Bull events. Explore the event calendar to see past and upcoming events: bike, motorsport, surfing, winter sport, music, gaming and much more.

According to the comments in the local paper, it appears they were having "technical difficulties" with the webcast. Wondering how long it was actually online/offline for?

They wanted/needed a large swell, from the right direction, with offshore breezes, on a weekend, sunny day, not conflicting with the blackout periods from the Air Force, Sheriffs Dept, Highway Patrol, Christmas/New Years Holidays...Tough to juggle all those elements.

Here's the latest article in the SF Chronicle about the event along with 60 photos: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...ks-4209444.php
        Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 01-21-2013, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X