DC-3… looking for a new home.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-3… looking for a new home.

This historical Flight Inspection (FAA) aircraft was part of the National Centennial of Flight Tour in 2003, you may have seen it in Reno. Bottom line it needs a new home where it can be displayed and enjoyed by other aviation buffs. If anyone knows of a museum which might be
    interested in making this great aircraft part of their display, please send
    an email. A history and picture of the aircraft can be found on the link below.

(A number of museums have shown interest but do not have the space.)
    Any leads appreciated.

Elaine

Re: DC-3… looking for a new home.

Hi Elaine, Glad you finally got in!

I will always fondly remember both when I was a kid and United flew DC-3's out of Reno, and when I worked under the flight path at PDX in the seventies. The FAA still used the airplane then and it was nice to see history flying over work on a fairly regular basis..

I hope you find a good home for the bird, still wish someone with really deep pockets could get it flyable again!

Good luck, and thanks for letting us help spread the word!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Is it no longer airworthy? It was part of the massed gaggle flying into Oshkosh from Rock Falls in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
        I will always fondly remember both when I was a kid and United flew DC-3's out of Reno,
        Gosh, mister....you sure are old.

Actually, it is kind of funny...every time I'm over at my parents house I still think back to summer days and hearing the old Aero-Dyne DC-3's chugging their cargo loads out of SeaTac and miss that sound.

Comment

Thanks for your assistance in getting the word out, Wayne.

It actually is airworthy at this point and the plan would be to fly it to it's new home. At that time it would be transitioned to static display only....I can hear the groans from here. It took off from Sacramento and passed over my Mom's house still climbing a couple of years ago...I ran out in the front yard thinking....What could be that loud and slow? What a thrill, I've been with it at airshows but seeing it fly is the best!

Elaine

Comment

The plane looks great in those photos. Why would it be considered only a static display?

My only recollection of a DC-3 was flying somewhere either in Mexico or South America. I was 6-7 years old and sat there fascinated as I watched several wing mounting bolts slowly rotating in the holes. Sometimes it's good to be a kid. Saves you from any need to worry.
            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
              Gosh, mister....you sure are old.

Actually, it is kind of funny...every time I'm over at my parents house I still think back to summer days and hearing the old Aero-Dyne DC-3's chugging their cargo loads out of SeaTac and miss that sound.
              Yea Yea... not quite old enough to be your daddy tho!

Neat thing about when they flew out of Reno, they had to circle a couple times to get enough altitude to get over the "hill"... when the 727's startd flying out of there, rotate, fold, climb, bye bye.... no more orbits...
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OH yea.... and when I was even younger and lived on the hill overlooking Reno, about where Mcarrin BLVD crosses the freeway now, we were in a trailer in the middle of pretty much nowhere and EVERYTHING going into the airport on Southbound approach flew over our place. Always heard at the time that on vis approach, our trailer was a landmark.. prolly not true but it made me feel good when I was a kid watching big piston liners flying overhead.. LOW.... hummn.. maybe that's why I am addicted to close flybys as an adult... Stead was active and not far away then also..

Quick question for Elaine.. If someone wanted to buy the airplane and keep it a flyer. i.e. do whatever is necessary to make her airworthy... would that preclude the aircraft going to that person? Are there liability reasons it's to be a non-flyer??
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I got to fly in one from Cleveland,Ohio to Detroit,MI via "Eastern Airlines" . Nice ride.
                  Lockheed Bob

Comment

To address the airworthy question from Wayne and ignomini, Wayne hit the nail on the head. The "no fly" status comes from liability issues and will be part of the agreement when the aircraft reaches it's new base.

Loving the DC-3 stories, when I was small my Dad would buzz our house with his old BT-13. Now, my Reno location is South of town in the flight path and I still run outside at the sound of a radial engine......some things never change!

Elaine

Comment

I was playing small college football in Minnesota in the early 60"s. We played an away game every two years at a college in North Dakota. Our transportation there was a DC-3. The flights were much more exciting than the games. Great memories.

Comment

I would talk to Thom Richard at Kissimmee Air Museum. I think this would be a great airplane to have in his collection.

Warbird Adventures offers thrilling flight experiences & hands-on training. We train new and ongoing students how to fly various vintage aircraft for One of a Kind Training Experiences, Private Pilot Licenses, Commercial Pilot Licenses, Introductory Flights, Intro-Aerobatics, Advanced Aerobatics, Tailwheel Endorsements, High Performance & Complex Endorsments. Citabria | Super Decathlon | AT-6 Texan

Comment

OK, I have an interest. Contact me.

Comment

I have an interest. Jack Hunter owner of Western Warbirds Museum wants you to contact him. He has room for it . Please e-mail him at westernwarbird@gmail.com or call collect Jack Hunter @ 435-669-0655. Thanks. Museum is located in St. George,UT.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

Elaine,

When it finally goes to who it goes, I'd love to be able to sell a story somewhere about the "last flight"... either here or in an ink and paper publication. I say "sell" because this sort of story has to have air to air photos and I'd have to purchase some time in a proper photo plane, not to mention travel expenses... Only way I can squeak these things into the budget these days is to get a pretty much pre-paid deal on a story..

Course, we do accept now don't we.. and and and.. we do sell those darn HATS Get one today...
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X