Home Pylon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Pylon?

I was out at Stead this weekend and noticed the home pylon was gone. I have been racking my brain ever since is it normally left up year round?

Re: Home Pylon?

Originally posted by nevadasky View Post
    I was out at Stead this weekend and noticed the home pylon was gone. I have been racking my brain ever since is it normally left up year round?

It's hinged.... or better put, it's mounted to four "eyes", or "rotating connecting points".. anyway, they remove two pins, lay it down with a crane... Not a good thing to have next to an active runway.

Because of the play in the pins, that sucker gets downright sporty if the wind is right... (the top platform)!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Also surrounded by a tall chain link fence.

Comment

RARA NOW would be a good time to make a slight addition to the pylon.
        Since several racers have been warned, and even DQ'd for flying below the "R" in Reno, it might be a good time to add a mark that the pilots can see before they get to the pylon.
        To see the "R" now, you have to be passing it, or wide, near the deadline.
        A nice clear orange stripe on the runway 8 side, would be helpful, I would think.

Comment

We really dont spend much time looking at the "side" of the home pylon... you know you are low when you are low.... plain and simple.

-Tom

Comment

Certainly not much of an issue @ Pooder speeds...
            Some of the faster guys think it would help

Comment

Working...
            X