OT - Mustang over Santa Fe today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Mustang over Santa Fe today

I was at my son's high school football game this afternoon in Santa Fe, NM, and all of a sudden, I heard that magical Merlin sound. High overhead a P-51 enjoying the beautiful fall afternoon over the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Anyone know the identity of the plane/pilot?

Re: OT - Mustang over Santa Fe today

Originally posted by Ken Adkins View Post
    I was at my son's high school football game this afternoon in Santa Fe, NM, and all of a sudden, I heard that magical Merlin sound. High overhead a P-51 enjoying the beautiful fall afternoon over the Sangre de Cristo mountains. Anyone know the identity of the plane/pilot?
    Ed Shipley was flying Double Trouble from PA to TX. Could have been him but I don't know the route he was going to take.

Comment

Hmm Pa to Tx , Santa Fe Nm way off course though.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
        Hmm Pa to Tx , Santa Fe Nm way off course though.
        Depends on Wx or planned stops I guess.
        Looks like Nashville to East Tx Regional. Probably not him.

Comment

"all of a sudden, I heard that magical Merlin sound. High overhead a P-51 enjoying the beautiful fall afternoon over the Sangre de Cristo mountains."

Regardless of who's P-51 it was, I think many of here have all shared that same special moment in our own lives where out of nowhere comes the sound of a P-51 flying overhead.
          Whatever we're doing comes to a complete stop...just to see and hear the magic that comes from a P-51 Mustang flying over.
          Rampking

Comment

Originally posted by rampking View Post
            "all of a sudden, I heard that magical Merlin sound. High overhead a P-51 enjoying the beautiful fall afternoon over the Sangre de Cristo mountains."

Regardless of who's P-51 it was, I think many of here have all shared that same special moment in our own lives where out of nowhere comes the sound of a P-51 flying overhead.
            Whatever we're doing comes to a complete stop...just to see and hear the magic that comes from a P-51 Mustang flying over.
            I totally agree. Heck, whenever I hear a radial flying over I drop what I'm going and go look. Every once in awhile it will be a P51 or I'll hear the P-40 out of Schellville.

It doesn't really matter what I hear flying over, I drop what I'm doing and go look.

Will

Comment

Heard it too
              Going south to north
              Was in the barn and my wife was outside and laughing as I ran out to look
              Said you can't hear Sh** but you can hear a Merlin

Ken
              A-47

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I'm the same as you guys, I come diving out of the house anytime something unusual sounding comes flying over. Yesterday, it was a Cessna Skymaster! At the football game on Saturday, the Merlin sound was as clear as day over the marching band and crowd noises, I was transfixed on the heavens as I watched the Mustang cross the sky -- good for the soul!

Comment

On Saturday I had a similar experience. I was out doing a photo and video shoot with my race car and while cameras were being rigged up a lone P51 flew over. I was the only person to notice, but when I told everyone to stop and listen to the sound, they did. All were in agreement that the sound of a Merlin is a truly awesome sound.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

It doesn't really matter what I hear flying over, I drop what I'm doing and go look.

Will
                    Totally agree. I'm always gettin' a family chuckle when I go blastin' out of the house whenever something flies over. Even if I don't see it, I can always tell a Merlin, Skymaster,or a T-28. They all have a unique sound.

Comment

[QUOTE=kensantafe;
                      Was in the barn and my wife was outside and laughing as I ran out to look
                      Said you can't hear Sh** but you can hear a Merlin

Ken
                      A-47[/QUOTE]

That is awesome. I believe that is what is called "selective hearing" ;c)

Comment

Actually my hearing loss is between the vowels and consonats of the female voice and I have compensated by having better than normal hearing in the lower ranges

Ken
                        A-47

Comment

Working...
                        X