This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopper saves P-51 Mustang

Fishing out a P-51 Mustang model airplane with a Robinson R-22.

Re: Chopper saves P-51 Mustang

If you are concerned about safety, the worst position for a helicopter is low and hovering. If you loose power or control for a moment, hit a branch with either rotors, you are going down, then, God help you.

Otherwise, you can squeeze yourself into a small area, like what is seen in the video, and fly away.

I bet, if they had crashed, they would admit, it was a foolish mistake to try to recover a $2,000 remote control mustang from a tree top.

Otherwise, nice video and I'm sure the RC people were glad to get their airplane back.

They needed a RC SkyCrane Helicopter with a hook on it and TV camera to recover it.

Comment

SVD, if one is truly concerned with safety, it is best to just never get out of bed, for sure, never step into a bathtub or shower! Don't cook on stoves, you can be burned! Be careful eating that cold canned food, it's very easy to cut one'self on those damn jagged edges...
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Everything we do has a degree of risk to it. It's our knowledge, experience and yes common sense that detemines the degree of risk one wishes to take. Is it worth it to risk two lives, not to mention bystanders on the ground and a fairly expensive aircraft to retrieve an RC? In my opinion NO! I'm sure the RC would have been retrieved by another means anyway. Evidently the individuals in the helicopter didn't feel that way.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
          SVD, if one is truly concerned with safety, it is best to just never get out of bed, for sure, never step into a bathtub or shower! Don't cook on stoves, you can be burned! Be careful eating that cold canned food, it's very easy to cut one'self on those damn jagged edges...
          Some people just don't get it. Did they hear the pilot at the end say he owned a helicopter business? I'd bet he's Southeast Asia Vet. Those guys are the best. If he was to hear these "unsafe" comments he'd just respond with a "That's what I do" and have no idea how anyone could think picking up that plane was unsafe. Then if your real lucky he'd tell you a story about unsafe time or two. That would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            If you are concerned about safety, the worst position for a helicopter is low and hovering. If you loose power or control for a moment, hit a branch with either rotors, you are going down, then, God help you.

Otherwise, you can squeeze yourself into a small area, like what is seen in the video, and fly away.

I bet, if they had crashed, they would admit, it was a foolish mistake to try to recover a $2,000 remote control mustang from a tree top.

Otherwise, nice video and I'm sure the RC people were glad to get their airplane back.

They needed a RC SkyCrane Helicopter with a hook on it and TV camera to recover it.
            Said from the safety of your mothers basement.

Comment

I thought the whole reason for the existence of helicopters was the hover capability.

GP

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                I've gotta say to Sky Van that I do "get" where he's coming from. Safety First is, indeed, a good idea, particularly, where we begin putting in things that fly with wings, let alone, things that fly by flinging their wings...

That said, at what point in our human experience with flight do we allow ourselves to take.... risk... for some return. In this case, pure fun.

Highpoint of a flight I was able to take up in Ketchican (thanks DBD!) was landing on a little lake in the Beaver we were in, and the pilot letting us get out and walk around on the floats, on a lake, in the middle of nowhere Alaska..

Would it have been safer to not land on that lake? For sure!! Was it necessary to land on that lake? No way... was it something I will remember and cherish as a memory forever? Damn right!

In this case, it's particularly hard to for me to understand Sky's point of view in that he expresses it on a forum dedicated to taking the risk of flying 50 feet above the desert at speeds far faster than than the original designers ever thought the design would fly..

Life is risky, from the moment we're born... hell, even before... we're all but one pleasurable moment away from not even existing! It's abut managing the balance of risk and reward... In this case, the instructor asked the student if he was OK with the maneuver, he was, instructor, probably, as Dialtapper said, was someone with SE Asia experience. I'm pretty sure he was totally in control, knew the risks, felt his skill level and the conditions came up to a point of reasonable risk/reward. I might add, every maneuver I saw in the video was well coordinated, smooth (extremely) and far less radical than some of the videos that youtube will link you to once you watch the initial vid..

All involved walk away to fly another day with a priceless memory. The kid on the ground was probably inspired, the student probably more confident than ever before.. what was the harm?

Anyway, great video, I'd fly with that guy anywhere, any day..
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Cat View Post
                  1. You comment is off topic and is designed to taunt and cyber bully. It doesn't belong here, Remove it.

2. My mother is dead.

3. Her house never had a basement.

4. Grow up and act like a civilized adult.

Comment

1. You comment is off topic and is designed to taunt and cyber bully. It doesn't belong here, Remove it.

2. My mother is dead.

I'm afraid you're confusing literal and figurative.

Metaphorically it was literally true.
                    Last edited by Dialtapper; 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM.

Comment

2. My mother is dead.

SVD... sometimes with comments on this and other boards, you just gotta take posts with some tongue in cheek... I saw the "mother's basement" as just that, like if you were in a discussion in the hangar.... (err... we are aren't we?) and two guys were disagreeing about something they saw, one guy takes the play it safe route, the other, well... you get it... in the middle of the discussion someone says "yea... from your mother's basement" or something like it... you don't take it personally, you laugh and play along or get even... remembering, WITH TONGUE IN CHEEK....

We've got some pretty good moderators here, we often either discuss posts like this and delete with PM explaining why to poster... or watch and wait.. point is, we're here and if you see a post that's not to your liking, there's a "report this post" link, which flags the post for review by the moderators.. I think you might be taking the comment just a bit too seriously... and your response then adds a log to what wasn't a fire.. yet...

See where I'm coming from??
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

there's a "report this post" link,
                        err... I thought there was, at least... coulda sworn I've seen that link... OK OK.... found it.. it's the little red exclamation mark at the top of each post, upper right corner, above text box..
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

A comment like that is

1. Off topic and if allowed could easily escalate, then you have a bigger mess to clean up. Should have never been posted and should be removed. Forum Etiquette/Manners/Cyber Bullying...
                          2. Made to taunt and provoke a person.
                          3. One could ignore it, laugh it off as a joke (which it isn't) or take it for it's true meaning and turn to the person and tell them to stop it. If you tell the person to stop, maybe they'll get the idea and stop. If you say nothing and ignore it, it's likely to continue and possibly escalate. I'd rather put a stop to it early so it doesn't happen again later.
                          4. I've always liked the idea of allowing the person who started the post to be able to delete any posts that are off topic, rude etc. I don't think a person can do this. It takes a moderator so I can't remove it or it would have been gone.
                          5. If it was my forum/moderator, it would not be allowed, there would be rules of etiquette to follow and they would be enforced. Big difference between a disagreement and a rude comment. This was a rude comment.

SVD... sometimes with comments on this and other boards, you just gotta take posts with some tongue in cheek... I saw the "mother's basement" as just that, like if you were in a discussion in the hangar.... (err... we are aren't we?) and two guys were disagreeing about something they saw, one guy takes the play it safe route, the other, well... you get it... in the middle of the discussion someone says "yea... from your mother's basement" or something like it... you don't take it personally, you laugh and play along or get even... remembering, WITH TONGUE IN CHEEK....

We've got some pretty good moderators here, we often either discuss posts like this and delete with PM explaining why to poster... or watch and wait.. point is, we're here and if you see a post that's not to your liking, there's a "report this post" link, which flags the post for review by the moderators.. I think you might be taking the comment just a bit too seriously... and your response then adds a log to what wasn't a fire.. yet...

See where I'm coming from??

Comment

I don't want the moderator to remove it, extra work for them, I want the person who was rude, off topic...to remove it. Hopefully they'll learn right from wrong.

Thanks for pointing out the red icon exclamation point. I never noticed it and did not know what it's purpose is. It's the panic button.

err... I thought there was, at least... coulda sworn I've seen that link... OK OK.... found it.. it's the little red exclamation mark at the top of each post, upper right corner, above text box..

Comment

5. If it was my forum/moderator....
                              Well, it isn't.

We're all guests in Wayne's house, which he built and pays for.

Comment

Working...
                              X