Racing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing?

A lot of people have complained about quality of the racing this year. While it is true that Steve was not challenged up front, I sure thought there was some interesting stuff going on.

Neal

Last edited by wingman; 09-29-2012, 10:12 PM.

Re: Racing?

Those same people you mentioned would grump if you gave them a million bucks because they wanted a million and one. Me..I thought the races were great (big Strega fan here) and the whole gang gave us a lot to shout about. 3mph diff in quals between Strega and the Bear, and tight racing in the Silver and Bronze classes. Hoot did an outstanding job in 232 and who knows what might've happened with Furias in the mix?
    Plus, we need to remember and be thankful that the races even HAPPENED this year RARA did a great job. Don't know the actual attendnce but the crowd looked pretty healthy.

I loved it and I'll be back next year.

oh yeah...great pic!

Comment

Thank you...

I think these two were racing...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post

I think these two were racing...

Boy were they ever. In the Gold final, PM was giving the Buick all it could handle, and that's with a missing gear door and an "oil canned" lower front fuse. It will be very interesting to see what that plane will do next year. Looking forward to it.
        Mark Johnson
        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Then there was this -- admittedly more a photo op and crowd pleaser than real racing...

Comment

Its funny you mention this. I have heard a lot of bitching and complaining about the racing this year from people I thought would be fired up just to have races. I also heard people bitch about the entire event rather than be happy there even was an event. Yeah the field was smaller in the unlimiteds this year but WHO CARES? The fact there even was an event this year is a monsterous milestone given the hurdles that needed to be cleared. Could the racing have been better? Sure, but there was indeed some great racing in all classes!

There are always going to be THOSE people I guess...
            "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I thought there was plenty of good racing this year. Sure, the Unlimiteds were all runaways but The sport class had some close racing, and the biplanes Saturday morning were going for it as well.

Heck, the racing was for 2nd place quite often. Some of the contests came right down to the photo finish.

Heck, air racing is air racing. This year especially, with all the odds stacked against the raced happening, they did. In that respect, everyone from the random guy sweeping the trash to Steve in Strega is a winner. The crowd, the pilots and crews, and everyone who made it happen.

Long live the Reno Air Races.

Will

Comment

Hey Will,
                Your blurry pics look just like mine, but with one exception.....Yours have airplanes in them. Mine are just blurry.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob View Post
                  Hey Will,
                  Your blurry pics look just like mine, but with one exception.....Yours have airplanes in them. Mine are just blurry.
                  Yeah... about that. Hey they aren't bad for a $120 70-300 lens with no fancy coatings or image stabilization. I wish that finish line shot were a little more clear, I wouldn't have posted it but I was trying to make the point about close racing.Thats what I get for trying to shoot at F22 (ish) at 125 sec hand held at full zoom. Eh, perhaps next year I'll have a better lens.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                    Yeah... about that. Hey they aren't bad for a $120 70-300 lens with no fancy coatings or image stabilization. I wish that finish line shot were a little more clear, I wouldn't have posted it but I was trying to make the point about close racing.Thats what I get for trying to shoot at F22 (ish) at 125 sec hand held at full zoom. Eh, perhaps next year I'll have a better lens.

Will
                    Hey Will,
                    They look great and I am glad you posted them because that was one close finish and a great race between those two.

Comment

Bob, a lot of mine are fuzzy too and more than a couple are great shots of an empty, blue Nevada sky...
                      I thought there was a lot of good competition and close finishes, just that most of them were in the middle or back of the pack. The unlimited gold was a runaway but oh well, it has been many times before.
                      I was happy just to be there and enjoy the sights, noises and smells of it all.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
                      X