Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour on top of the 747?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour on top of the 747?

I saw it as it flew North over the Bay from San Leandro, Oakland, Alameda area this morning at 10:13am from about 1-2 miles away. About the size of a penny held at arms length. Bye bye Endeavour. Enjoy resting at your new home.

There are a few videos of it on YouTube flying over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM.

Re: Who saw the Space Shuttle Endeavour on top of the 747?

Saw it in Walnut Creek just after 10. I had heard it had left Sacto and looked up at just the right time. It flew directly overhead headed southwest at a few thousand feet.
    Last edited by tim; 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

200' low level pass at MHV, I will post up the video and some pics from friends after I stop crying.

Saw Columbia on the Shuttle Carrier at OKC on her way to KSC for the first mission more than 30 years ago - just a shame to retire them so early.
      sigpic
      1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
      Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Here was my view of it from my office in downtown SF:

Here was one of my friends views:

Comment

Flew over SQL this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoZeroWest View Post
            Flew over SQL this morning.
            Outstanding. I've got a serious lump in my throat from staring at that shot, and it just won't go away.

My God, the magnitude of all that it represents...

Imagine, +50,100,200, and 500 years from now, how pivotally important the juncture in history that the shot captures will still be...

More than a little sad, but very, very proud.
            So Thank You TwoZeroWest, Chuck
            Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

I saw it this morning in Sacramento. They flew it up the I-5 corridor made a right hand turn over the 2 air force bases, then departed west over Sacramento to san Fran.

I took 200 or so pics I will post soo as I get them back from my dad.

I can now say I have seen every space shuttle fly. How awesome is that!

Comment

Originally posted by C_roundy View Post
                Outstanding. I've got a serious lump in my throat from staring at that shot, and it just won't go away.

My God, the magnitude of all that it represents...

Imagine, +50,100,200, and 500 years from now, how pivotally important the juncture in history that the shot captures will still be...

More than a little sad, but very, very proud.
                So Thank You TwoZeroWest, Chuck
                You're welcome! Glad you like the shot!

Comment

I remember looking up and seeing the "enterprise" on the back of the 747 back in 1985 while I was on the way to the drag strip.

Comment

I posted this in another thread also. Here's Endeavour and company flying over the house right after T/O from Edwards.

Kevin
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                      I posted this in another thread also. Here's Endeavour and company flying over the house right after T/O from Edwards.

Kevin
                      Just noticed in your photo the large bump on the belly of the 747, like it's pregnant. What's inside there, a baby 747? Who's the father?

It doesn't look as noticeable in the photo posted by TwoZeroWest above.

Just found a 38 minute video from the Helicopter from Channel 5 CBS in San Francisco: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...php#item-11436
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-21-2012, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Over Disneyland!

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                        http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

I watched the flight pass over the Hollywood sign and then "cruise" Hollywood Blvd.

It was a melancholy moment for me. I saw Enterprise fly piggyback before the drop tests and I was in Titusville for the first launch, so it felt like I'd seen the beginning of the program. And the end.

Bittersweet.

Comment

I've got a picture to share. Taken from Runyon Canyon above Hollyweird. We were lucky to get two passes over us as a result of their flight route.
                            Attached Files
                            Steve Guilford

Comment

Victor, that pic of the Matterhorn/shuttle is awesome. Did you call NASA ahead of time and give the coordinates that you would be at?

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X