Strega, is it official???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega, is it official???

Heard lots of rumors about Strega NOT being back in the future. Has anyone heard it from the owner? Is it a for sure thing?
    Brian

Re: Strega, is it official???

Yes,
    From the lips of Tiger, they are done.

Comment

I think the real question is, what does the future hold for Steveo at Reno?

I heard they are working on something, but would not go into details.

A new unlimited?
      Does Steveo get his own plane?
      Does he jump to a new class, T-6, sport,

Either way we should know in 12 months.

Comment

A lot of well qualified guys out there gonna be looking for a ride, I would think.

With the recent losses (for various reasons, obviously) of Dago Red, Galloping Ghost, VooDoo, Strega it appears that Reno going forward will be a radial-dominated event.
        Biplane Race #3

Comment

A friend who is having Mike Nixon rebuild a sleeve valve engine was told Strega is definitely retiring. So I believe that is true.

As to Steveo, he told someone he is going to race sailboats, that I do NOT believe is what he is really up to.....

Spacegrrrl

Comment

Uh, From Tiger's own lips "Unless we find a big sponsor" on one of the live airshow updates. I'm to lazy to watch them all again to find which one, here's the link to all of them http://www.liveairshowtv.com/

Comment

At the above link, Tiger also mentions 'world speed record'

Joseph

Comment

So what then, for Strega?

Will it be retired, to say...the Smithsonian,....

I also heard somebody on here, say that Young Mr Hinton would be flying a Radial next year...

Comment

Remember next year is the 50th anniversary, it would be better for The Witch to be there for that one

Comment

Everything that I have heard in the last few months is that in spite of winning and in spite of the appearance of a well-oiled machine, there is a lack of cohesiveness on the team.

Tiger has owned that plane for 29 years. The only one with a longer continuous racing heritage is Lyle with the Bear. If it's time to retire, let the man retire with some dignity.

The biggest mistake that some of these owners make is tying their identity with the airplane. Look at Howie Keefe and Miss America. Lyle was never the same once he sold the Bear. I hope Tiger doesn't sell Strega. I hope he takes Strega and parks it in the hangar at Bakersfield for the rest of his life, pulling it out on Saturdays to polish it and to fly it around the patch on Sunday. He owes us race fans nothing...and we owe him everything, including cutting him some slack for having the balls to say 'I'm done'.

If it was Strega's last year...I raise a brew and say "Thank you, Tiger...enjoy your retirement".

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                      Everything that I have heard in the last few months is that in spite of winning and in spite of the appearance of a well-oiled machine, there is a lack of cohesiveness on the team.

Tiger has owned that plane for 29 years. The only one with a longer continuous racing heritage is Lyle with the Bear. If it's time to retire, let the man retire with some dignity.

The biggest mistake that some of these owners make is tying their identity with the airplane. Look at Howie Keefe and Miss America. Lyle was never the same once he sold the Bear. I hope Tiger doesn't sell Strega. I hope he takes Strega and parks it in the hangar at Bakersfield for the rest of his life, pulling it out on Saturdays to polish it and to fly it around the patch on Sunday. He owes us race fans nothing...and we owe him everything, including cutting him some slack for having the balls to say 'I'm done'.

If it was Strega's last year...I raise a brew and say "Thank you, Tiger...enjoy your retirement".
                      Here here, well said!
                      sigpic
                      1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                      Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post

Well said and 100% correct.

Comment

Like Howard Pardue, Ill believe Strega is done when I get to the ramp and they aren't there.

Comment

With the full intent of kicking a hornets nest....

Well, at least Bear will have a chance to win next year...

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl View Post
                              A friend who is having Mike Nixon rebuild a sleeve valve engine was told Strega is definitely retiring. So I believe that is true.

As to Steveo, he told someone he is going to race sailboats, that I do NOT believe is what he is really up to.....

Spacegrrrl
                              I also heard him talking about racing sailboats on arrival Saturday while he was conversing with some of the Furias crew. And yes he also told them to their surprise that Strega was done. If it's true, than "THANK YOU" Mr. Destefani for all of the great years that you provided us, you're retiring as a winner, which is the way that you should end an absolutely wonderful racing career! CHEERS!
                              "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

Working...
                              X