Precious Metal Gear Door ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Gear Door ?

Any word on Precious? Was there any damage to the plane when the gear door left?
    Brian

Re: Precious Metal Gear Door ?

No idea on damage, but does anyone know when it came off? I noticed it on the first lap past the home pylon. Didn't know if it came off on take off, during the form-up, or on the first lap.
    Tom

Comment

Saw a pix of it flying off as the planes were coming down the chute.

Comment

Yeah, posted here before I remembered to check the '2012' sub-forum. Also, WAP had a photo of what may have been the door coming off down the chute. Looks kinda big too me though...
        Anyway, I know it was off on the first pass of the home pylon, I was watching PM in my binocs, just not my camera
        Tom

Comment

My theory is that there's some kind of strange magnetic vortex in Lemmon Valley that has a strong attraction to N6WJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin View Post
            My theory is that there's some kind of strange magnetic vortex in Lemmon Valley that has a strong attraction to N6WJ.
            Said vortex only appears (like in the Final Countdown) when coming down for the start of a Gold Championship race at 100+ inches MAP.

Comment

Looks like the "magnetic vortex" managed only the gear door this year and not the whole airplane bellying in.

Comment

And the belly in was 24 years ago today.

Comment

Could have been a whole lot worse...
                  Attached Files

Comment

What about Jarrod's photo of the belly in flight?

Comment

We're still looking for the door in the desert. We need more pictures/video for triangulation. Anyone?

There was no damage to the airplane, other than the door itself.

We have two helicopters and an Ultrlaight in the search party sofar. A few horses are turning up tomorrow. The terrain and vegetation is a little rough in places.

There's a $500 reward for the door...

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialgunnery View Post
                        We're still looking for the door in the desert. We need more pictures/video for triangulation. Anyone?

There was no damage to the airplane, other than the door itself.

We have two helicopters and an Ultrlaight in the search party sofar. A few horses are turning up tomorrow. The terrain and vegetation is a little rough in places.

There's a $500 reward for the door...
                        Curious how much time or money for Helicopters, Ultralights and horses will you spend looking for the gear door, as compared to buying another one if that is possible, or is the lost door custom made and very expensive to reproduce so finding the original is worth thousands or tens of thousands of search costs...?

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
                          Curious how much time or money for Helicopters, Ultralights and horses will you spend looking for the gear door, as compared to buying another one if that is possible, or is the lost door custom made and very expensive to reproduce so finding the original is worth thousands or tens of thousands of search costs...?
                          P-51D gear doors are getting rare. Particularly the latches and brackets.
                          Just had to have one repaired.

Comment

My friend and I ride dirt bikes up there off of Lemmon Dr all the time. Did I read Stu saw it fall off coming down the chute?

Comment

The experimental helicopters volunteered as they both needed flight time on their machines anyway. The Ultralight did cost some money, but we needed a birds eye view. The crew and other volunteers have put in a tremendous effort, but we simply can't find it.

We have a new door installed and plan to depart Stead today and head for DVT. Should make KISM by Sunday.

Thanks to all of those helping in the effort. Being a low budget race team, this was a really hard hit. We're gonna try to dig our way out of this pit, but it's gonna take a while...

Comment

Working...
                              X