PDA

View Full Version : PM

JJMONGO
09-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Anyone there know the condition of 38? From the live feed it looks like right gear and some prop damage.

Thanks

SkyvanDelta
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
What happened? I saw the race and had to leave right after they finished. Saw the Bear pull up and out of the race at lap 7.5 and 232 took second place.

What happened to PM? Landing gear issues?

cdtpf60
09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
according to the guys on the loaded tv she lost a gear door.
the camera was on her after the race(in the pits) and they seemed to be inspecting the right inner gear door area.
i didnt see any prop damage and i'd guess if Thom felt he had prop damage he'd have been on the ground asap not after the race..much the same as the bear was first down.

440_Magnum
09-16-2012, 06:04 PM
What happened? I saw the race and had to leave right after they finished. Saw the Bear pull up and out of the race at lap 7.5 and 232 took second place.

What happened to PM? Landing gear issues?

I was watching the LoadedTV feed. They said he pulled out of the race with a possible gear door issue. Then a LONG time after Dawson got the Bear down, I saw 38 rolling on all gear but still at high speed across the frame centered on Strega parked on the ramp. Again, THAT particular feed didn't show anything that looked like a gear collapse, but 38 wasn't visible except for about a second during the landing roll.

cdtpf60
09-16-2012, 06:15 PM
she was shown in the pits a bit later on all gear ..no sign of a gear collapse
but a lot of activity around the right clamshell area.

Kevin L
09-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Heard PM got real close to Sawbones on landing rollout. Anyone see this or know what happened?

LoveOldPlanes
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
The announcer on LoadedTv said they lost a gear door. Over at the PM Race Fans Facebook page they mentioned needing to scare up a posse to go look for the missing door...

Rampman
09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
PM was on final when the call came over the radio to go arround. when PM passed in front of the pits we could see why. Sawbones was already on the runway. I don't know how close they came as you can't see that part of the runway from the pits.

PM went arround again and the landing and rollout appeared normal. The gear door problem happened early in the race (maybe lap 4 or 5?) I thought it was a little unusual why an airplane with an apparent problem didn't have priority for landing (Although I never heard a MayDay).

PM taxied to the ramp norrmally but the airplane was taken to the wash area or a hanger by the wash area. I didn't get a close up view of it.

wolfee
09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
A 5.00 locking spring broke. Some time from take off to the first lap, she lost both of her clam shells (inner gear doors).

JJMONGO
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys. On the live feed the props looked bent, probably just the camera angle.

Glad she's ok:beerchug::beerchug:

jason
09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Heard PM got real close to Sawbones on landing rollout. Anyone see this or know what happened?

Sawbones was landing a little slow and PM starting getting close and went around. the gear problum was found by whoever PM was racing heard it on the scanner.

gordonronco
09-17-2012, 12:14 AM
A 5.00 locking spring broke. Some time from take off to the first lap, she lost both of her clam shells (inner gear doors).

BOTH? when did she lose the port one?

Florian
09-17-2012, 12:27 AM
First lap today, geardoor of PM is already gone:

http://www7.pic-upload.de/17.09.12/36749vae6bcp.jpg

SkyvanDelta
09-17-2012, 07:40 AM
The announcer on LoadedTv said they lost a gear door. Over at the PM Race Fans Facebook page they mentioned needing to scare up a posse to go look for the missing door...

So what would be the easiest and most likely way to find the lost landing gear doors? Remote control helicopter or airplane with a camera? Motorcycles on the ground? People on the ground? Full size Helicopter or Airplane? Forget them and buy replacements?

wolfee
09-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Figures out approximately what time they departed the plane through video, or from pics. If it was in place at gentlemen's you have a race, then we know we're to start looking. And should be able to find it in a few days. If they were gone before the start of the race, it will be a lot harder. They could be anywhere.:eek:

Desertdawg
09-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Heres the landing sequence coming up behind Sawbones.

I was getting a little worried there until Thom got the go around.

:beerchug::beerchug:

Desertdawg
09-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Those missing doors will make for some interesting/collectable finds in the future.

20 years from now some hiker/offroader will come upon one.

Hopefully they didn't land close to a house/barn chicken coop, the news media will be all over it :-(

In the end the 49th Reno Air Races were perfect.

See you all at the 50th.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

51fixer
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Those missing doors will make for some interesting/collectable finds in the future.

20 years from now some hiker/offroader will come upon one.

Hopefully they didn't land close to a house/barn chicken coop, the news media will be all over it :-(

In the end the 49th Reno Air Races were perfect.

See you all at the 50th.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:
They might need to find it in order to get home.

Smee Again
09-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Unless it let go somewhere over Peavine, someone is very likely to find it. When we lost the rudder trim tab on Dago in 2008, the missing tab was back in our pit not 20 minutes after the end of the race. I suspect it will turn up sooner than later.

SA

W J Pearce
09-17-2012, 12:52 PM
I believe Stu Dawson saw the door depart while coming down the chute. It is much easier to find stuff that falls off on the course. With so many photogs and others watching, it can take just a few minutes to find it. Of course, could be lost forever too.

wolfee
09-17-2012, 02:16 PM
If Stew saw it depart coming down the shoot, he didnt say anything about it then. I had my scanner glued to my ear from the time they started the engines to the time they all were on the ground.

First word from Stew was after passing home pylon on lap 2. and he said something like, Thom I can see your wheels. That was the first anything was said about it.

Sky Critter
09-17-2012, 02:38 PM
The call to Thom was from Dennis just after rounding pylon 1 on lap 2 or 3 I believe.

W J Pearce
09-17-2012, 02:49 PM
If Stew saw it depart coming down the shoot, he didnt say anything about it then. I had my scanner glued to my ear from the time they started the engines to the time they all were on the ground.

First word from Stew was after passing home pylon on lap 2. and he said something like, Thom I can see your wheels. That was the first anything was said about it.

I'm not certain he did see it. I was told that after that race, he said that he saw it come off down the chute but I did not hear him say it. If he did see it I doubt he would have known what it was or where it came from at the time. It would just be something shinny out of the corner of the eye for .000001 seconds.

Note the cowl damage.

http://www.pbase.com/wjpearce/image/146114836/original.jpg

Arctic Cat
09-17-2012, 03:00 PM
There is a pic on WAP that shows it coming off down the chute

wolfee
09-17-2012, 03:08 PM
the big dent forward of the wheel wells I'm guessing is pressure differential.

I didnt see it there once they were back on the ground. But then again I was on the other side of the K Bars, and didnt have the best view with everyone looking at the missing clam shell. I didnt see anyone looking that far forward either. if it was there on the ground, I think we would have seen them looking at that as well.

looks like they needs to add some bracing on the lower end of the cowling.

W J Pearce
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
There is a pic on WAP that shows it coming off down the chute

And some good info too. Thanks Arctic Cat.

Race5
09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Thom would like to get the gear door back ASAP if possible. There is some hard to find hardware on it that could potentially be re-used.

AAFO_WSagar
09-18-2012, 12:24 AM
Sawbones was landing a little slow and PM starting getting close and went around. the gear problum was found by whoever PM was racing heard it on the scanner.I'm not sure Thom was really landing, I was told that he was actually doing a gear check but was still told to go around because he was getting too close... :dunno: Didn't ask Thom tho, so... to be taken with grain of salt...

Florian
09-18-2012, 12:46 AM
another close up from the last round in the course showing the affected area.

http://www10.pic-upload.de/18.09.12/88p6bp735zw.jpg