X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 Times!!!!!

Strega!!!!!!

Re: 11 Times!!!!!

YEAH BABY! She's the best on the ramp. Rare Bear is always a threat. PM looked/sounded really good. Hoot and 232 did an OUTSTANDING job this year. And what a year too. After 3 years,finally got in a Gold Championship race. Great competition in all classes, great weatherand RARA did a great job of pullin' it off. But in the end............the BADDEST plane on the property prevailed.
    Love the trash talk back/forth between the round-guys and the inline-guys. It's all in fun. Look forward to the continuing camaraderie with all the fine folks on this forum...you guys sustain me through the months of waiting for the gates @ Stead to open. The rumors, the news of developements, the aviation stuff in general.

Like I said in another post:y'all have a safe and good year ahead. Then come Sept. we can do it again. Not to quote that NASCAR-hack, but "Let's go racin' boys!"

Comment

speaking of Precious Metal and the Bear, any word on where PM lost her starboard gear door and what happened with the Bear pulling out?

Comment

Yes V1670, the camaraderie (trash/smack talkin) is part of racin and it's so much fun! I was sharing with Wayne Saturday night when I ran into him in front of the Rare Bear pit about a chance encounter with Tiger a few minutes earlier. I stumbled upon a bench racin sesh in progress at the Strega pit. At first I thought it was Tiger and his crew but as I got closer to the conversation with ninja like stealth I realized the 3 guys huddled around listening to Tiger were just super lucky fans...I became the 4th. Tiger's last Saturday night in the pits with Strega. My lips are sealed about the details but all I can say is it was priceless...vintage Tiger. I walked away wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes and pinching myself to see if I was sleep walking! He is everything you would hope for in a legend. He made a clear distinction between a great pilot and a racer. The later must be willing to stick his nose in the fight with confidence in his equipment and skill without hesitation. I took this away from that chance encounter with Tiger, in between the spits of chewing tobacco, sips of some tasty beverage and colorful language! He wouldn't reveal with any detail about what he has done to his motor but said someday when he and Bob (Voodoo) are sitting in rocking chairs he will tell him. He did say it was generations ahead of where Dwight Thorn had left them and made a point about how it was the torque not the hp that was the key to going fast. I seem to remember a story about Dwight leaning out Strega's carb the night before the gold causing a DNF with a burned piston. He talked about wing location: the angle of incidence and the dihedral angle. I was totally lost with the dihedral talk but I got the point. Reminded me of why I mount my bindings on my skis where I do in relation to core center to effect turn initiation. I hope no one tries to rip this post apart, just sleep well at night knowing that Tiger is not only the owner of the baddest racer of all time but a racer's racer as well!
        Last edited by Hans Oberev; 09-17-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Oberev View Post
          Yes V1670, the camaraderie (trash/smack talkin) is part of racin and it's so much fun! I was sharing with Wayne Saturday night when I ran into him in front of the Rare Bear pit about a chance encounter with Tiger a few minutes earlier. I stumbled upon a bench racin sesh in progress at the Strega pit. At first I thought it was Tiger and his crew but as I got closer to the conversation with ninja like stealth I realized the 3 guys huddled around listening to Tiger were just super lucky fans...I became the 4th. Tiger's last Saturday night in the pits with Strega. My lips are sealed about the details but all I can say is it was priceless...vintage Tiger. I walked away wiping the tears of laughter from my eyes and pinching myself to see if I was sleep walking! He is everything you would hope for in a legend. He made a clear distinction between a great pilot and a racer. The later must be willing to stick his nose in the fight with confidence in his equipment and skill without hesitation. I took this away from that chance encounter with Tiger, in between the spits of chewing tobacco, sips of some tasty beverage and colorful language! He wouldn't reveal with any detail about what he has done to his motor but said someday when he and Bob (Voodoo) are sitting in rocking chairs he will tell him. He did say it was generations ahead of where Dwight Thorn had left them and made a point about how it was the torque not the hp that was the key to going fast. I seem to remember a story about Dwight leaning out Strega's carb the night before the gold causing a DNF with a burned piston. He talked about wing location: the angle of incidence and the dihedral angle. I was totally lost with the dihedral talk but I got the point. Reminded me of why I mount my bindings on my skis where I do in relation to core center to effect turn initiation. I hope no one tries to rip this post apart, just sleep well at night knowing that Tiger is not only the owner of the baddest racer of all time but a racer's racer as well!
          I was lucky enough to of been one of the four race fans listening to Tiger talk about his modifications and was also amazed at what I heard. I think some good wine played a part into the conversation but after listening to Tiger talk on Saturday night and seeing Sunday's race I am convinced that no one will ever beat that P-51 Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
            I was lucky enough to of been one of the four race fans listening to Tiger talk about his modifications and was also amazed at what I heard. I think some good wine played a part into the conversation but after listening to Tiger talk on Saturday night and seeing Sunday's race I am convinced that no one will ever beat that P-51 Mustang.
            Did you get a chance on Saturday afternoon to hear Tiger's interview and predication for Sunday's winner while he was standing next to Strega in the pits?

Comment

He made a clear distinction between a great pilot and a racer. The later must be willing to stick his nose in the fight with confidence in his equipment and skill without hesitation.
              Key statement, right there! Awesome you got to witness some classic TIGE...

Comment

He will be back....next year.

Comment

Technically they only have 10 wins, I was on the ramp today during the departures and talked with L.D.,
                  He said that RARA was counting last year as a win but they “team Strega” will never put that on the
                  Plane and I commend them for that.
                  Jason
                  Jason Schillereff

Comment

What a great post!

Like any team that wins a championship, there are so many factors that go into winning.

The team with most of those factors lined up and in sync, takes home the Gold.

This team has inspired me in so many ways, their leader is just what he defines as a champion.

Tiger motivates, inspires, and leads his team across the finish line.

So cool to see a group of people who mess that closely together!

Congratulations Team Strega!!!

Here's to hoping they'll be at the 50th!

Don

Comment

I was one of the '3' talking with Tiger. And yes, it was classic. Tiger shared some excellent insights and perspectives as only Tiger can. We heard about politics, racing, other pilots, the Doctor, other planes, and much more.

Thanks to Tiger for taking the time to talk with us. Great memories. And Tiger did say, if a big dollar sponsor came forward, then he would consider next year.

Glad you were able to user your ninja stealth capabilities to join us Hans!

Rick

Comment

would have liked to have been there to listen to the "Tiger talk".

...sounds like he has figured out(Re: the engine and torque) how to make it even stronger?? ...so does that indicate that it was torque more than high revs which was causing breakage in modified Merlin engines of the past?

Comment

Working...
                        X