PDA

View Full Version : Another No Contest

a4gturn
09-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Strega....again, smoked the field.
First lap 506 down to about 460 on the final

Rampman
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Strega seems to have it dialed but I think the Bear can hang with her if he can keep the hammer down. Obviously yesterday and today he couldn't. Hope they figure it out before tommorrow.

The wild card has to be 232. Not like he overpowered the Bear but the airplane seems to be running pretty smooth right now. I remember when 232 won the gold and it was a lot faster then. Wonder if they have enough motor in it this year to run like that tommorrow?

FuryFan
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
This is the either the ultimate sandbag by the Bear, or they ain't got nothin' for Strega! So sad. :confused:

Kevin

CRJpilot
09-15-2012, 05:42 PM
As I said in another post, as a HUGE Strega fan.

I'm pretty broken up about this. . . :D

Don

Desertdawg
09-15-2012, 05:50 PM
This is the either the ultimate sandbag by the Bear, or they ain't got nothin' for Strega! So sad. :confused:

Kevin

I'm bettin there's several sand bags up there. But having said that, team Strega has found the secret to keeping a Merlin happy and together at those speeds. Years past the radials would just hang back and push the Mustangs waiting for the eventual.

Yesterday we did the east side hill, Will "RAD2LTR" joined us, today we did the west side back stretch. What a great weekend, great weather and we have air racin, what more could we ask for. After the gold today, we all cheered that another successful/safe day of air racing finished.

Tomorrow its Section 3 and it will be a very special day for sure.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

cdtpf60
09-15-2012, 06:19 PM
if the bear isnt right can pm make the podium?..or are they all saving it till tomorrow?
just checked the results on the rara site...any idea why blue11 didnt start?
and is kevin taking it easy or hasnt he got the poke at the moment

GRNDP51
09-15-2012, 06:38 PM
Blue 2 had a short circuit on one of the wires in the gear, so in short it had gear problems. Fixing it tonight ready for tomorrow.:thumbsup:

t-dub
09-15-2012, 07:33 PM
if the bear isnt right can pm make the podium?..or are they all saving it till tomorrow?
just checked the results on the rara site...any idea why blue11 didnt start?
and is kevin taking it easy or hasnt he got the poke at the moment I would venture to think that RB and SF are saving it for Sunday. No use in pushing it until then. Yeah, Strega has been blistering the course, but it don't mean anything until Sunday............Here's hoping for an awesome Gold race! :thumbsup:

RAD2LTR
09-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm bettin there's several sand bags up there. But having said that, team Strega has found the secret to keeping a Merlin happy and together at those speeds. Years past the radials would just hang back and push the Mustangs waiting for the eventual.

Yesterday we did the east side hill, Will "RAD2LTR" joined us, today we did the west side back stretch. What a great weekend, great weather and we have air racin, what more could we ask for. After the gold today, we all cheered that another successful/safe day of air racing finished.

Tomorrow its Section 3 and it will be a very special day for sure.

:beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Hans, thanks for the invite. That was awesome watching from up there. I think I got some good stuff. Its going to take me a good week to sort the pics out however. I shot a lot last night in the dark and quite a few this morning before the sun came up.

It was a great weekend and the weather couldn't be more perfect. Good racing from everyone, although I did notice that the nagging mechanical issue this year is landing gear issues. Furias, the Yak in the bronze, and Blue2 Thunder Mustang. Its all good though, none of the issues turned into bigger ones (aside from Furias) and everyone is ready to race tomorrow. I wish I could be there.

Will

AAFO_WSagar
09-16-2012, 03:14 PM

KevinI posted a picture in another thread showing the Bear crew discovering that Stu was getting a bad overtemp reading on his gauge.... she's fixed now, it's going to get really interesting today in the Gold race... I'm gonna post it (pic) here also..

RichH
09-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I thought they discovered the sensor issue after Friday's race... but it was still a problem for Saturday??

Airrace7
09-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Kevin

No sandbagging they had temperature problems!

Airrace7
09-17-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought they discovered the sensor issue after Friday's race... but it was still a problem for Saturday??

They replaced the sensors and still had heating problems on Saturday!

grampi
09-18-2012, 05:34 AM
Bear simply isn't as fast as Strega...why is that so hard to accept?

Nobody
09-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Bear simply isn't as fast as Strega...why is that so hard to accept?

Not at the moment it isn't. Plus Strega has the kid in the cockpit and he seems fearless. They need a young and fearless pilot for RB. When "the kid" climbed into Strega a few years ago you could feel the energy and the team jelled around him. Win, win, win. Rare Bear has fallen into a funk partly because Lyle, and then Penney climbed out of the airplane for good. Get the right jock in there and the motivation to win will follow.

When Strega breaks the Bear's world speed record, only then will Strega be faster than Rare Bear. And I say that as a fan of both airplanes.

grampi
09-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Not at the moment it isn't. Plus Strega has the kid in the cockpit and he seems fearless. They need a young and fearless pilot for RB. When "the kid" climbed into Strega a few years ago you could feel the energy and the team jelled around him. Win, win, win. Rare Bear has fallen into a funk partly because Lyle, and then Penney climbed out of the airplane for good. Get the right jock in there and the motivation to win will follow.

When Strega breaks the Bear's world speed record, only then will Strega be faster than Rare Bear. And I say that as a fan of both airplanes.

When has RB EVER run the kind of speeds around the race course that Strega is running?

RichH
09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
When has RB EVER run the kind of speeds around the race course that Strega is running?

This year, Strega won with a race average speed calculated at 477.523mph.

In 2007, Rare Bear won with a race average speed calculated at 478.394mph.

There you go...

Tigercat24
09-18-2012, 12:08 PM
And 1991: victory over Strega and Tsunami at 481.619 MPH.

John
09-18-2012, 12:21 PM
In 2007 we watched John Penny go around Mike and September Fury and were amazed. Bear ate some of it's own Bondo but still came home with a win in the Gold.

Didn't see 1991 in person, but from the videos it looks like Lyle was using the "squeeze" big time! ...and 3 blade prop(I know,...controversy).

grampi
09-18-2012, 12:30 PM

There you go...

I'm talking about the 500+ MPH laps...RB has never done that...race averages mean nothing except how fast the winner had to go to beat the 2nd fastest plane...

RichH
09-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I'm talking about the 500+ MPH laps...RB has never done that...race averages mean nothing except how fast the winner had to go to beat the 2nd fastest plane...

500+... where is it recorded that Strega did that? Oh... race average doesn't matter. I suppose you are talking single lap times then?

This year:

Strega qual'd @ 493.299
Bear qual'd @ 490.002

Hardly enough of a difference to call it one.

Why, you said it yourself. mph is mph...

No it's not...mph is mph.....

Rampman
09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
The course this year was completely different from years past so you can't really compare it to anything earlier. In those earlier years it was not only straighter but also measured differently. I don't remember the percentage difference (I'm sure someone out there does) but the recorded speeds were immediately faster after the change. (I think the change was made sometime in the middle of Dago's championship run).

RichH
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
The course this year was completely different from years past so you can't really compare it to anything earlier. In those earlier years it was not only straighter but also measured differently. I don't remember the percentage difference (I'm sure someone out there does) but the recorded speeds were immediately faster after the change. (I think the change was made sometime in the middle of Dago's championship run).

None of that matters to Grampi. mph is mph...

No it's not...mph is mph.....

al baby
09-18-2012, 01:16 PM

All of this talk about RB is humorous.

Do you honestly think Stewart Dawson is not worthy of a Gold Contender? He's an excellent pilot and racer. He's also a mechanic (A&P) has built several aircraft and restored many warbirds. He knows his stuff, including when the instrumentation is right and when it is wrong.

You have to stop the Skip Holme worship and give Stewart a chance. He's the real deal and Skip is busy doing something else for a living. Skip is nearly 70 years old and hasn't raced in years. If he wanted a ride, he'd have one.

Try reality. It's fun.

al baby
09-18-2012, 01:17 PM

There you go...

All racers know that 2nd place sets the pace.

Steve could have gone quite a bit faster but didn't need to do more than that to win.

spacegrrrl
09-18-2012, 01:29 PM
All racers know that 2nd place sets the pace.

Steve could have gone quite a bit faster but didn't need to do more than that to win.

Everyone in the Strega team felt Strega could easily have run the entire race at over 500. They never ran it flat out this year because they never needed to. Bear never had a chance overheating or not.

Strega will leave Reno as the fastest ever and I think they'll keep the honor for some time to come.

Spacegrrrl

Hans Oberev
09-18-2012, 01:36 PM
The race announcers said Strega clocked a 503mph first lap! Bear was right there on the first lap but faded! It looked like once Steve realized Bear was not a threat, he lowered the power setting. He's fast but has he ever had to pass anyone? Lol!

grampi
09-18-2012, 01:37 PM
Everyone in the Strega team felt Strega could easily have run the entire race at over 500. They never ran it flat out this year because they never needed to. Bear never had a chance overheating or not.

Strega will leave Reno as the fastest ever and I think they'll keep the honor for some time to come.

Spacegrrrl

Exactly! But you can't tell the RB homers that...they simply refuse to accept the fact that Strega (and Dago when they were still racing) are/were faster than RB ever was, or ever will be...

Arctic Cat
09-18-2012, 02:02 PM
That 2003 Friday Gold Heat was a great race! Skip was on a tight line and the Bear was right on his tail and they were both on the gas and hauling the mail. For whatever reason the Bear has not been able to produce those kind of speeds lately. I would love to see them get all the ducks in a row and be ready and armed for the fight. The issues they had this year had nothing to do with the guy in the hole, saying that, only shows a complete lack of understanding of what is going on.

I believe that Strega, in its current state and team is unbeatable by any of the contenders in their current form, even if they had all their issues worked out. The only way they could beat him is if they break.

Rampman
09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Guess we'll never know. I think that even with different courses and measurements you have to give the fastest ever title to Skip and Dago Red for that Friday heat race in 2003. 507 race average! Strega might have been able to do it for a whole race, but Dago did do it. Strongest team ever at Reno, in my opinion.

gp70442
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM
He's fast but has he ever had to pass anyone? Lol!

He passed Voodoo once when it counted but hasn't had to pass anyone but lapped traffic since.

GP

T. Adams
09-18-2012, 04:01 PM

NEVER, PERIOD. The two fastest planes around the course are Dago, and Strega. RB has never turned an individual lap at anywhere near the speeds of both the super Mustangs.

Idaho_cowpony
09-18-2012, 04:08 PM
NEVER, PERIOD. The two fastest planes around the course are Dago, and Strega. RB has never turned an individual lap at anywhere near the speeds of both the super Mustangs.

Uh...:dunno:...Are you sure about that...??

a4gturn
09-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I love this site. The "radial" vs. the "in-line" debate will never die!

grampi
09-19-2012, 05:00 AM

He's right.

AAFO_WSagar
09-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Try reality. It's fun.

[*foul*=] That kind of closing remark is what turns discussions into arguments. No need to insult.... [/**foul**]

:deal: :beerchug:

C_roundy
09-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Pony, for the life of me I can't seem to find Rare Bear's time/speed for her 2nd place finish in that epic Friday heat race in 2003, but I know you are right Sir. Unless we are both somehow horribly mistaken, that heat was one heck of an historic data point for Bear as well as Dago Red.

RARA use to keep the whole shebang on their site :mad2:.

Can anyone come up with the official, documented results of that race?

Thanks in advance hopefully, Chuck

Sky Critter
09-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Pony, for the life of me I can't seem to find Rare Bear's time/speed for her 2nd place finish in that epic Friday heat race in 2003, but I know you are right Sir. Unless we are both somehow horribly mistaken, that heat was one heck of an historic data point for Bear as well as Dago Red.

RARA use to keep the whole shebang on their site :mad2:.

Can anyone come up with the official, documented results of that race?

Thanks in advance hopefully, Chuck

1. Race #4 Dago Red 507.105
2. Race#77 Rare Bear 492.936
3. Race#10 Critical Mass 456.796
4. Race#15 Furias 444.241
5. Race#8 Dreadnought 443.958
6. Race#86 Czechmate 421.171

8 & 86 both cut a pylon

C_roundy
09-21-2012, 04:23 PM
1. Race #4 Dago Red 507.105
2. Race#77 Rare Bear 492.936
3. Race#10 Critical Mass 456.796
4. Race#15 Furias 444.241
5. Race#8 Dreadnought 443.958
6. Race#86 Czechmate 421.171

8 & 86 both cut a pylon

Thank You very much Sky Critter!

Now, if I could just wave somebodies magic wand to find out what manifold pressures (and intermittent squeeze) Rare Bear's stick actuator applied on each lap...

Dang you guys got me spoiled, but here's hoping!
After all, he knows who he is, what he did, and he reads here! :angel:

http://www.rarebear.com/bearfacts/john_penney_september_2003.htm

Idaho_cowpony
09-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Speaking of the Bear, Qualifying faster than #7 ever has, In 1996...

Let's have the tomatoes start coming....

And I'm a Mustang type of fella!

Joseph

Bear Wrench
09-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Thank You very much Sky Critter!

Now, if I could just wave somebodies magic wand to find out what manifold pressures (and intermittent squeeze) Rare Bear's stick actuator applied on each lap...

Dang you guys got me spoiled, but here's hoping!
After all, he knows who he is, what he did, and he reads here! :angel:

http://www.rarebear.com/bearfacts/john_penney_september_2003.htm

I don't get on here much anymore, but I will pipe in here. In 2003 during Friday's heat race, we ran NO Nitrous and significantly less manifold pressure than the Bear can currently run now. Throw in the fact that that was pre boil off and a host of other mods....the Bear has the potential to go much faster than it has shown recently. Unfortuantely they just can't seem to get all theyre ducks in row come race day to do that.

X Bear Wrench

Stacy Thomas

C_roundy
09-25-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't get on here much anymore, but I will pipe in here. In 2003 during Friday's heat race, we ran NO Nitrous and significantly less manifold pressure than the Bear can currently run now. Throw in the fact that that was pre boil off and a host of other mods....the Bear has the potential to go much faster than it has shown recently. Unfortuantely they just can't seem to get all theyre ducks in row come race day to do that.

X Bear Wrench

Stacy Thomas

Thank You for taking the time to help Bear Wrench! Your specific points, taken together, confirm what I have grown to believe across the years I have been studying the true nature of this unique Beast! :beerchug:

Best Regards, Chuck Roundy

440_Magnum
09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
507 race average! Strega might have been able to do it for a whole race, but Dago did do it. Strongest team ever at Reno, in my opinion.

:thumbsup:

stuntflyr
09-28-2012, 07:16 PM

1991. Lyle beat them to the start and there was nothing left for the Merlins to make a pass, they could just keep up.
Laps in '91 are comparable to Strega's qual speed. I think Tsunami went the fastest on the last lap at near 500 on the old survey computations. Still, not enough to pass.
Chris...

Big_Jim
09-28-2012, 07:27 PM
1991. Lyle beat them to the start and there was nothing left for the Merlins to make a pass, they could just keep up.
Laps in '91 are comparable to Strega's qual speed. I think Tsunami went the fastest on the last lap at near 500 on the old survey computations. Still, not enough to pass.
Chris...

I believe that during that race the highest 'lap' speed was 487 for the Bear.

And Chris is right...nobody had anything...and Strega and Tsunami were flogging it for all they were worth, but couldn't get around Lyle.

stuntflyr
09-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Darn,
Well, it went over 520 to 540 a few times for some FAI guys once.

Chris...