• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone fly today?

Just wondering

Re: Did anyone fly today?

Firstly I am not at Reno yet, but....

It was supposed to be pretty windy today and typically this weekend is spent doing tech inspections and pit set ups. The fun begins tomorrow.

And I could be totally wrong as I am not there yet lol.

Comment

Yes they flew. It appears there was a block of time for each class. I can't say everyone flew, but lots of different planes did. Most that flew did so around the courses. There's also a fire east of Carson City, so had tanker flying most o the afternoon here too.
      Brian

Comment

Most of the unlimiteds flew. Rare Bear looked really fast and consistant. It's hard to get a feeling for the speeds though with the new course. Precious Metal also looked and sounded faster than I remember it. The airplane looks to be very well prepared and the new prop is a thing of beauty!

Furious flew quite a few laps but didn't appear to be pushing especially hard. Sounded good though and Matt flew a very smooth line.

Strega didn't fly while I was there but they did an engine run up with the cowling off at the end of the session. Looks like the're just waiting to take care of business. It'll be pretty interesting to see it qualify.

232 fired up but didn't fly. Not an expert but the engine sounded a bit rough. They looked ready to fly but then shut it down and pulled it back to the pit. Didn't appear to be anything significant, but they had the cowling off and were working on it.

Steadfast also flew along with the Tigercat and a couple Sea Furys. Most of the others stayed on the ground. It was pretty breezy today, but not too bad.

Not a really large field of unlimiteds this year, but the top contenders look pretty competitive. Might of just been me but the mood seemed pretty subdued. Inderstandable I guess. Looks like RARA has made a sincere effort towards safety with the new concrete barriers in front of the pits and the smaller fuel trucks on the ramp.

The view from the pits is still pretty good even with the course changes. Hopefully see a lot more laps tommorrow and get a better feel for it. Anybody know if ther is a new lap time/speed chart anywhere?

Comment

RampMan, flat out excellent PIREP. I realize you have to shoot from the hip, but you managed to focus VERY well on the stuff I so badly need to know!

Please keep it coming if you can, I won't be on site 'til Wed. pre-dawn.

Thanks Big Whole Bunches, Chuck
          Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            There's also a fire east of Carson City, so had tanker flying most o the afternoon here too.
            Brian
            Thanks Brian, we watched the bomber activity today, applauded and thumbs upped to each one of them as the launched and recovered.. turnaround time seemed to be just under an hour, so we were trying to guess where the fire was. No real visible cues to where the fire was, no access to news, this is the first I've actually read about where the fire is..

Don't know about anyone else but, in my opinion, fire bomber crew are just about as close as you can get to being modern day, real heroes!

What a challenging mission!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
            X