2012 Strega's last year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Strega's last year?

I just read on another site that 2012 will probably be Stregas last year at the races.......anyone else hear this or know anything about it?
    Brian

Re: 2012 Strega's last year?

I don't know why they would call it quits before the big five o! Seems to me like the 50th would be more appropriate if that is the case. Hopefully not though.............
    "Racefuel, It's not just for breakfast anymore!" http://www.twracefotos.net

Comment

I'm thinking the major reasons racers retire

money, lack of or spending too much on, followed by the amount of time required to maintain and get race ready, relocation, family, divorce, race agreement/contracts changed, near death experience...

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
        I just read on another site that 2012 will probably be Stregas last year at the races.......anyone else hear this or know anything about it?
        Brian
        Would you like to say where you saw it so perhaps others can read it also or include the link?

Comment

I read it here:

http://pylonplace.blogspot.com/2012/...prep-2012.html
          "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
          -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

It's more or less official. I was at Strega's pit Sat. morning, and overheard Steven talking to some of Furias' crew, and he said "yes, this is our last year".

Comment

I'm gonna try to be the optimistic one here, but I will believe it when I don't see them in the pits next year. But then again, I'm still waiting for Bob, crew, and Voodoo to show up also!
              "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

I'm going to have to agree with Matt. That would be great if Voodoo showed up spontaneously, I love that plane!
                Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory...

Comment

Originally posted by t-dub View Post
                  It's more or less official. I was at Strega's pit Sat. morning, and overheard Steven talking to some of Furias' crew, and he said "yes, this is our last year".
                  Heard the same from a crew member today.
                  Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                    Heard the same from a crew member today.
                    Nice talking with you and your lovely wife this evening... we sat down with Tiger at about 11:00PM, though there were no squawks on the airplane, they were massaging everything....

Tiger did confirm that, indeed, this is Strega's last year... airplane will remain in his hands, will not be returned to stock, will be flown to shows and such... I'm going to miss the times spent with Tiger in his pit!
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

So many years for me following Tiger and this aircraft as my favorite.

I truly appreciate all that this team has put into this amazing event, I am forever grateful for all their efforts!

I also respect the ability to know when enough is enough and make that decision.

Thanks for it all team Strega, now go kick some butt!!!

Don

Comment

First Dago, now Strega...is this some sort of conspiracy to allow RB to start winning every year again?

Comment

grampi, LOL!

Maybe someone will purchase the Voodoo and race, or Bob will bring her back!

Strega is the best, and will be greatly missed. First saw her in '86 when Tiger brought her in 3rd, which was a surprise at the time. Tiger really did good in '87 but we weren't there -unfortunately. In '88 they blew the motor in qualifying so didn't race. In '89 Tiger kept the Strega close to Lyle and the Bear for most of the Gold, but went out near the last with a fairly minor problem. Again missed the '90, '91(super fast Gold races) and '92 when Tiger finally pushed Bear enough for it to have trouble. We got to see him win in '93 and then '97(when he pranged the prop on landing). I Always liked the 97' paint and look the best with all the Ads. and old style No. 7 on the fin/rudder. Steven H. is awesome in that airplane too. Many of the other Strega wins we missed, but evidently she is the most winningest Mustang of all time. Thank you to all the folks over the years who brought us The Strega!

But, Bear is good for the racers, it pushes them to be faster!

Comment

Both Bear and Strega ARE the winningest unlimiteds of all time. I hate seeing the rivalry end. This year should be epic!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                              grampi, LOL!

Maybe someone will purchase the Voodoo and race, or Bob will bring her back!

Strega is the best, and will be greatly missed. First saw her in '86 when Tiger brought her in 3rd, which was a surprise at the time. Tiger really did good in '87 but we weren't there -unfortunately. In '88 they blew the motor in qualifying so didn't race. In '89 Tiger kept the Strega close to Lyle and the Bear for most of the Gold, but went out near the last with a fairly minor problem. Again missed the '90, '91(super fast Gold races) and '92 when Tiger finally pushed Bear enough for it to have trouble. We got to see him win in '93 and then '97(when he pranged the prop on landing). I Always liked the 97' paint and look the best with all the Ads. and old style No. 7 on the fin/rudder. Steven H. is awesome in that airplane too. Many of the other Strega wins we missed, but evidently she is the most winningest Mustang of all time. Thank you to all the folks over the years who brought us The Strega!

But, Bear is good for the racers, it pushes them to be faster!
                              I was at Reno in '99 and watched Tiger lead all but the last half lap of the gold race until he had a problem and Dago ended up winning...what a race! I don't remember what happened to Bear that year, but he was out....would've been nice to watch all 3 of them duking it out! Yes, I'll be sad the see Strega go...

Comment

Working...
                              X