Race 38 Trek to Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race 38 Trek to Reno

Precious Metal began its flight to Reno today...they are currently waiting weather out in Montgomery, AL....about an hour from me. If I wasn't an hourly employee at my place of work, I'd be on the road
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Race 38 Trek to Reno

I know this just 'dates' me...but anytime I see someone refer to 'Race 38', I instantly think of Double Trouble and get excited.

Not that there haven't been four other "Race 38's" since then....just old habits die hard.

Comment

What is race 38's ETA in Stead?
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Their Facebook page said that plans were to leave today and get there by Friday...could be sooner, though, considering Thom is about to cross over the Louisiana/Texas state line. I'm assuming that they left extra time in their flight plan in case of mechanical issues along the way. Considering how many times they had to stop last year because of leaks, chipped gear tooth, ect., I'm not surprised at all. I'm tracking his flight on an Android/iPhone APP called FlightAware and I searched his flight by aircraft tail number, N6WJ. They've only made one unplanned stop so far: Montgomery/Selma Alabama, due to the nasty weather we have been having...I'm an hour north of there in Birmingham.

The flight info has them stopping in Dallas for this leg of the trip.
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

WOW only a half hour from me !

Comment

Is he stopping in Phoenix or taking a different flight path from last year??

Comment

Originally posted by Tigercat24 View Post
              Their Facebook page said that plans were to leave today and get there by Friday...could be sooner, though, considering Thom is about to cross over the Louisiana/Texas state line. I'm assuming that they left extra time in their flight plan in case of mechanical issues along the way. Considering how many times they had to stop last year because of leaks, chipped gear tooth, ect., I'm not surprised at all. I'm tracking his flight on an Android/iPhone APP called FlightAware and I searched his flight by aircraft tail number, N6WJ. They've only made one unplanned stop so far: Montgomery/Selma Alabama, due to the nasty weather we have been having...I'm an hour north of there in Birmingham.

The flight info has them stopping in Dallas for this leg of the trip.
              Thankyou Sir.

I kinda forgot about their trek to Reno last year. Go 38!

Comment

Thom posted on facebook about two hours ago that he's at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Texas!

Race 29
                Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Looks like he made it to KDVT today.
                  Sky Critter

Comment

Yes indeedy. I saw him say on Facebook that he'll be staying there two nights and will arrive in Reno midday Friday.
                    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Hi folks, sorry for maybe OT:

does anybody know if Thom has a ferry motor inside or jumping to Reno with race engine (and in this case with very low power settings I hope... )

Gibbs

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbs View Post
                        Hi folks, sorry for maybe OT:

does anybody know if Thom has a ferry motor inside or jumping to Reno with race engine (and in this case with very low power settings I hope... )

Gibbs
                        Its a Griffon... who needs a 'ferry motor?' :-)

Seriously, I don't know. But so far I don't think anyone has ever showed up with a Griffon so high-strung that it couldn't be flown cross-country easily. It would be a bit like Dreadnought needing a 'ferry' R-4360.

Comment

Ferry motors are for fairies.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
                            Ferry motors are for fairies.
                            Reminds me of one of the funniest bits of dialogue in 'Hit and Run.' :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X