The Thrash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thrash

It's now 4:30 AM here in chilly Reno, Nevada and I've just returned from Stead, where I decided to see just what it's like to be with an air race team during a "thrash" to get it done.

Most of you know that Mike Brown lost his engine today, most of you probably do not know, Rare Bear also had a problem.

The team discovered a leak in the #2 cylinder (front row, master rod) exhaust valve today, after John Penny elected to NOT take the course due to "something" just not being right... The bad news is/was, they had no choice but to replace the cylinder..

The GOOD news is, due to the team's dilligence, telemetry, John Penney's built in "feel" and just some damn good luck. Not only did they not trash the engine, the cylinder that was removed, was found to be easily repairable and will be added back to the spare shelf.

We mentioned that Mike Brown was out, what we did not mention was the absolute high character of this man! Once he knew he was out of contention for the year, he offered "whatever you need" within his spares to the Rare Bear Air Racing Team so that they could repair their problem and continue in competition..

People, Mike Brown has the true spirit of air racing!

As of 4:00AM, the old cyl had been replaced and the VERY tired crew were at the details of putting the rest of the "stuff" back on the engine....

Frankly, I'm so tired that my hands can barley type, that crew are just as, if not more tired and they are going to stay with it until the job is complet, estimated to be sometime around 8:00AM.

At which time, John Penney is scheduled to arrive at Stead, do a ground run, checks will be made and then some slow time will be done on the new cyl...

Then... if all goes well... He'll take the clock in the afternoon Unlimited session...

This repair has been a group effort, typical of air racing! Dwight Thorn, from Dago Red, loaned John Slack to Rare Bear, Mike Brown has his spares at their disposal, if needed...

As I said, I stayed to "experience" the fatigue and grind of this repair from start to finish... however.. with no phone line avaliable to me, and frankly... after making the second pot of REALLY STRONG Wayne Sagar "special" really strong coffee for the crew... I threw in the towell with the intent of bringing the news to you about the continuing effort to get the Bear into the show and finish in the Gold come Sunday...

That said.. we're going to forego the update on the page we've started for this purpose and just put up what we have so far.. I managed 3.5 hrs of sleep last night, it's headin on 5:00AM here now.. We had some camera problems today... All "technical" efforts to fix the problem met with no success.. a final "Fonz" smack or two to the body seems to have cleared up the problem... so we're back to full speed on the image gathering..

However.. due to the lateness of the hour, my coffee induced "jitters" making it impossible for me to deal with coding the page, and messing with the images.. we're going to sign off for now and bring you up to date, as much as possible, later today..

G'night!
    Wayne Sagar
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

We love you Wayne, thanks for your diligence. You are the man. I am sorry to hear about both of them. Hope the Bear can still be in it... John Cobb
    Bear..... and now Ghost Fever Forever...... John

Comment

The Thrash

Wayne-

You are amazing. I cannot tell you how much your devotion to this board/site is appreciated by those of us out here on the east Coast. My wife and I are departing for Reno tomorrow. I have been coming out to the races since 1994. We are looking forward to meeting you. Do you have a planned get together for your AAFO appreciation club?

Mark S.

Comment

Wayne, you da man!
        You have to admit you had fun though didn't you?
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

The Thrash

Wayne,

My motto has always been "anything for the shot". You've taken that to heart by doing "anything for the story"! Way to go, and thanks for the coverage. I feel like I'm going to be able to hit the ground running when I arrive on Thrusday.

See you then,

Jeff Lee

Comment

WOW!

Thanks to all for the very very kind comments! Yes, it was fun... I've been a mechanic in the past, "working" with these guys last night (in a very limited way, like throwing kitty litter on oil spots, stopping the work stand from rolling once when it was trying to in a critical moment... making coffee, etc) was a fantastic and very rewarding experience..

The price, obviously, from the time of this message... I'm running really late today. I slept through two alarms!

I'm about to head out, likely I'll have missed most of the action today but .. I'd do it again in a heatbeat!

This is what I was talking about "missing" Reno by covering it in a "live" way.. You just can't sit at a keyboard and really "do" Reno!

Trying to get a much different perspective on things this year.. most of what I do/see, I'll have to share with you later..

Thanks again!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
            X