display porp blades from P-51D Race 6 "Sumthin Else"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• display porp blades from P-51D Race 6 "Sumthin Else"

I have for sale 4 Aeroporducts prop blades that were raced on John Crocker's P-51D Race 6 "Sumthin Else" in the 80's. The blades have suffered some damage on a forced landing after blowing the engine at Reno. They are not servicable, but will make great display props for the air race fan. Price is $450 each. The blades can be picked up at races in September.

e-mail is warbird51@att.net
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2012, 10:13 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

Re: display porp blades from P-51D Race 6 "Sumthin Else"

Oh, if only I had the funds. Crocker's plane was the best looking Mustang of the 1980's, in my opinion of course...

(original photo by Phil Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
      Oh, if only I had the funds. Crocker's plane was the best looking Mustang of the 1980's, in my opinion of course...

(original photo by Phil Brown)

I was lucky enough to crew her for 5 years. We use the "Sumthin Else" wheel chocks on Tom Camp's Wildcat, Race 2 in memory of John.

Comment

I don't remember a crew member named hawkeye on #6?

I gophered with the airplane in the early 80's, volunteered my off time down at North Field Oakland hanger, participated with several races, but never officially was named on the gear doors, assisted with the engine change prior to the races, 1983? Ended up stress cracking the spinners because of the prop gearcase vibrations.

Want to get involved again, want to be on the inside of the ropes, looking out, not stuck at the ropes now looking in on warbird teams.

Fast forward, presently at Travis, been working here since 1992.
        Aircraft E&E.....

Mac

Comment

Originally posted by AF_MACH1 View Post

I gophered with the airplane in the early 80's, volunteered my off time down at North Field Oakland hanger, participated with several races, but never officially was named on the gear doors, assisted with the engine change prior to the races, 1983? Ended up stress cracking the spinners because of the prop gearcase vibrations.

Want to get involved again, want to be on the inside of the ropes, looking out, not stuck at the ropes now looking in on warbird teams.

Aircraft E&E.....

Mac
          Hawkeye with hammer.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AF_MACH1 View Post

Aircraft E&E.....

Mac
            Hi Mac,

I was invited to join the Race 6 team in 1985. I was good friends with Mike Bogue whose hanger was used to prep the racer. Ted Curiel and Roger Brower were part of the crew then. 1985 was the last year for Kerch as our crew chief. After Race 6 was damaged in 1990, Tom Camp's Maniyak Yak-11 needed a new induction trunk to go racing, so I built a new one for him before he took it to Reno in 1990. Tom did not have a crew, so he "adopted" John's crew, and we've been with Tom ever since. Roger Brower has since passed away. Ted, myself and Willie Wilson, and Mike Frank make up the Race 2 Air Biscuit crew today.

The pic posted by Apteryx show's Ted, Willie and myself "adjusting" the Aeroproducts Prop on Race 6.

Those were the days...

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
              Hawkeye with hammer.
              Now that I'm older, I use much bigger hammers.

Hawkeye

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                Now that I'm older, I use much bigger hammers.

Hawkeye
                With age...wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx View Post
                  With age...wisdom.
                  The funny thing about that picture you posted, I was doing the same thing Sunday, that I was doing in the picture. Only, this time, I was using a 10lb brass sledge hammer.

The Older I get, The Better I Was...........

Comment

Working...
                  X