Picture Comparo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picture Comparo

Labeled "The Sexy Six", these are my picks for the six top qualifiers that will get a bye before Friday's Gold Heat Race. Thoughts?
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Re: Picture Comparo

Looks good...
    I'm a thinkin' that #15 will qualify faster than the Bear...

Joseph

Comment

Faster???
      JetWaste

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
        Looks good...
        I'm a thinkin' that #15 will qualify faster than the Bear...

Joseph
        That certainly is a tall order...if we go by what Rare Bear did last year with a Qual. speed of 479 & change, that would give Furias a Qul. speed faster than 232's 478+ in 2006, when it went on to win Gold at 481.618 MPH...which incidentally is only behind Rare Bear's 1991 avg. race speed, Strega's 2008 & 2009 speeds, and Dago's record avg. speed in the Saturday heat race in 2003. So as far as average race speeds go, the 4 fastest Reno RACERS ever are Dago Red, Strega, Rare Bear, and September Fury.

Which Super Sea Fury will hold the title of "World's Fastest Sea Fury" after this year?

One thing's for sure...it'll be red
        -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Precious Metal qualifying ahead of the Bear. Just my guess
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I don't think that those previous qual. speeds can be used for comparison....the course has been modified and "reinterpreted" many times in the last ten years.

Concerning the six racers mentioned, my prediction of qualifying order is: #7, #77, #232, #15, #8, #38.

Kevin

Comment

Being realistic, I think that's about right. I could call for an upset with 38 ahead of 8, but that could be a stretch calling for a somewhat unproven wild card against "Old Reliable"
              -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Your top ten qualifiers below. Again, Bill will give the order to put Strega in the record books with the first "over 500mph" qualifying speed. The others will be kind of spread out in qualifying, and their speeds (among the top six) won't necessarily match their capabilities as the week go on.

1st 7 502.741
                2nd 15 493.187
                3rd 77 484.619
                4th 232 476.374
                5th 38 451.248
                6th 8 448.528
                7th 71 425.323
                8th 11 417.289
                9th 33 408.561
                10th 114 391.646

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell View Post
                  Your top ten qualifiers below. Again, Bill will give the order to put Strega in the record books with the first "over 500mph" qualifying speed. The others will be kind of spread out in qualifying, and their speeds (among the top six) won't necessarily match their capabilities as the week go on.

1st 7 502.741
                  2nd 15 493.187
                  3rd 77 484.619
                  4th 232 476.374
                  5th 38 451.248
                  6th 8 448.528
                  7th 71 425.323
                  8th 11 417.289
                  9th 33 408.561
                  10th 114 391.646
                  A 493+ for Furias...interesting call.
                  -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell View Post

1st 7 502.741
                    2nd 15 493.187
                    3rd 77 484.619
                    4th 232 476.374
                    5th 38 451.248
                    6th 8 448.528
                    7th 71 425.323
                    8th 11 417.289
                    9th 33 408.561
                    10th 114 391.646
                    You lost me when you put 38 ahead of 8 even more than when you put 15 ahead of 77(*). Not saying it isn't possible, and I DO think we'll see the biggest jump in the 38's performance in years... but that would be a HUGE step for the 38 guys. More power to them if they can do it, because passing the 8 is the benchmark for being win contender.

(*) OK, you actually lost me when you put numbers after the decimal point, but I'll let that one slide... ;-)

Comment

Don't have any reason behind this other than a hunch, but I am going to say that 232 will qualify in the number 2 spot behind 7. I can't wait to see that Sea Fury all souped up again!

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum View Post
                        You lost me when you put 38 ahead of 8 even more than when you put 15 ahead of 77(*). Not saying it isn't possible, and I DO think we'll see the biggest jump in the 38's performance in years... but that would be a HUGE step for the 38 guys. More power to them if they can do it, because passing the 8 is the benchmark for being win contender.

(*) OK, you actually lost me when you put numbers after the decimal point, but I'll let that one slide... ;-)
                        Totally with 440_Magnum on this. Only once has PM even sniffed 450+, and that was way back in 1988, I believe. Best of luck to them for sure, but seein' (or timing!) is believin'!

SA

Comment

Originally posted by PowerByPackard View Post
                          Don't have any reason behind this other than a hunch, but I am going to say that 232 will qualify in the number 2 spot behind 7. I can't wait to see that Sea Fury all souped up again!
                          Possible, but doesn't the Bear have a weight advantage over 232? And with the easier turns on the course now, clipped wings shouldn't be so much a factor.
                          As for 232 over 15, I think a 3350 race motor with slow nose will beat out a 4360 - just my humble opinion.
                          Anyway you look at it, there's gonna be a symphony of round motors in the gold this year!

Comment

Six get to stand down with a small field of a/c instead of the customary four.

Haven't seen that happen for a while, but it's in da rulez.
                            Last edited by Propellerhead; 08-29-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                              Precious Metal qualifying ahead of the Bear. Just my guess

Comment

Working...
                              X