Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americas Cup Racing 45' Sailboats Online Live in San Francisco.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Americas Cup Racing 45' Sailboats Online Live in San Francisco.

Through Sunday from 2-4:30. Live right now online. Take a look and see what multiple onboard cameras, helicopter cam and graphics can do with 45 foot carbon fiber catarmarans that will go twice the speed of the wind, 40mph potential: http://www.americascup.com/

If you miss the live event, you can watch the same event on youtube later, for example, here's

Thursdays 2 hours full replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VndIu...eature=mh_lolz

Fridays 2 hour full replay:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Saturdays highligts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh26f...C5F&playnext=1
    Saturdays 2 hour full replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWRWZ...BD5480A8795C5F

Sundays 2 hour full replay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz79S...BD5480A8795C5F

I'm confused. Looks like Sundays races started earlier today 11:45am-1pm, not at 2pm and is not online but rather on NBC. I missed it. http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/Ameri...46.html?page=1

Team USA Russel Couts crash into the committee boat on Fridays Start:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2012, 03:37 PM.

Re: Americas Cup Racing 45' Sailboats Online Live in San Francisco.

Perhaps you have the wrong forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Chris View Post
      Perhaps you have the wrong forum?
      While it is not air racing, or even warbird related, its mechanical, a form a racing, and (I think) pretty damn interesting.

Wrong forum? Perhaps, but way cool!

Thanks for the link!
      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
        While it is not air racing, or even warbird related, its mechanical, a form a racing, and (I think) pretty damn interesting.
        Wrong forum? Perhaps, but way cool!
        Thanks for the link!
        I'll admit, it definitely is racing that involves aero-dynamics, as well as hydro-dynamics.

Aww screw it. Its all just fluid-dynamics anyway.

Just think of water as reaallly thick air.....
        Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

1. I think this is a perfect example of how the Reno Air Races could look if they were to move to onboard and helicopter/blimp cameras with graphics/gps...

2. I believe this is the first year for Catarmarans, which has totally changed the speed and action of what used to be a fairly boring sport. 45' Carbon Fiber Boats, Hard 70' Mainsail...Now it's exciting, like Sprint Car Racing.

3. Here is Fridays 2 hour race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji4-J...feature=relmfu
          Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-24-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            1. I think this is a perfect example of how the Reno Air Races could look if they were to move to onboard and helicopter/blimp cameras with graphics/gps............................................... .................................

(Sigh)... We get that you think that dude, we really do get it already.
            Attached Files
            Carbon is groovy man...

Comment

Beating a dead horse? :-)

Comment

I was out on the water today watching the race and it was just amazing how fast those cats are. 30-35 kts on the downwind.. Much like any form of racing, you cant really get a sense of their true speed watching them on TV.

The replay is great to see all of the up close / on board action. Those guys are working hard, and you cant really see that in person as well.

Comment

I used to watch the America's Cup races but I lost track about 10 years ago. Is this the same cup that Dennis Conner and Ted Turner went after? Those races were always one on one. I always found the teamwork and technoloy very interesting.

You're right about the speed of the cats. Very cool!

Comment

Well, it's not unlimited planes, even though SOME cats use wings instead of soft sails. But I must admit, it's like watching the air races on Valium.

Even though I enjoy sailing myself, this just isn't much of a spectator sport for me. I'm hoping that when they race the bigger 70-foot cats that there will be more of interest for me to see.

Now if we can just bring Hydroplane races to the S.F. bay area...

Comment

SkyvanDelta, Thanks for the link! Very Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                        Well, it's not unlimited planes, even though SOME cats use wings instead of soft sails. But I must admit, it's like watching the air races on Valium.

Even though I enjoy sailing myself, this just isn't much of a spectator sport for me. I'm hoping that when they race the bigger 70-foot cats that there will be more of interest for me to see.

Now if we can just bring Hydroplane races to the S.F. bay area...
                        All of the cats I saw racing yesterday had the solid main wings.

With all the tacking and back and forth around the gates it was pretty difficult to see who was ahead during the race from a spectator standpoint, however it was pretty sweet to see them make the quick turns and accelerate downwind. That alone was worth seeing.

Hydroplanes would be awesome, but I think they would have a tough time finding smooth enough water (at least up here close to SF)

Comment

Originally posted by NOVA View Post

Hydroplanes would be awesome, but I think they would have a tough time finding smooth enough water (at least up here close to SF)
                          True. It would probably have to be in the south bay and at the crack of dawn when winds are calm. I can still dream though.

Comment

Fun iPad simulation app at cWind-Game.com. Cats, AC, sloops.

Comment

The offshore type racers, catarmarans or deep vee hulls, V8 or turbine powered would do well in the bay chop using the same/similar course as the Americas Cup Boats.

I believe 20-30 years ago or so, there was an offshore type power boat race in the North Bay near the Carquinez Bridge area. I did not go, but I do remember hearing about it.

Originally posted by AirDOGGe View Post
                              True. It would probably have to be in the south bay and at the crack of dawn when winds are calm. I can still dream though.
                              Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 08-26-2012, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X