Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTSB Opens Docket on Reno Air Race Crash

AUGUST 21, 2012

WASHINGTON - As part of its continuing investigation into the September 2011 crash of a highly modified P-51D airplane at the National Championship Air Races in Reno, Nevada, the National Transportation Safety Board has opened the public docket.

On September 16, 2011, the pilot of the Galloping Ghost experienced an upset while turning between pylons 8 and 9 on the race course. The airplane crashed on the ramp in the box seat spectator area. The pilot and 10 spectators were killed and more than 60 others were injured.

The information being released today is factual in nature and does not provide any analysis. Included in the docket are photographs, a video, 47 documents and more than 900 pages, including interview summaries, maintenance records and other documents. The docket material is available at: http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hi...TOKEN=82086778

Additional material may be added to the docket as it becomes available. Analysis of the accident, along with a determination of probable cause, will come later this month when the final report on the investigation is completed.

Re: NTSB Opens Docket on Reno Air Race Crash

...and finally puts to bed the myth that GG was catching 5 & 7.
    Red
    chanting...400+

Comment

Interesting, NTSB.gov not responding. Tried on two different computers with different connections and still problem connecting the site. Any one else having problems with connecting with this site??

Comment

....hastily paraphased AP version here...

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
          Interesting, NTSB.gov not responding. Tried on two different computers with different connections and still problem connecting the site. Any one else having problems with connecting with this site??
          Haven't been able to connect yet.

Kevin

Comment

Same here. Their server must be down.

Comment

I was finally able to open page with the documents, however after downloading three documents the page shut down. Must be due to high viewing demand.

Comment

I've just spent the last couple of hours reading a very small portion of the report.......there's tons of data there. I didn't
                read everything yet.....nor did I see all related pictures. There's some very interesting details. To me, it looks like the trouble started with eliminating the right hand elevator trim and locking it into postion. Appears the loads for one where to much......amazing the twisting on the fuselage that apparently are the results of the forces being exerted on just one side of the tail. It's been stated before, but I'll say it again, if it would have happened a few seconds earlier or later,..... oh well.......here's hoping for safe Air Races this year. I know they'll be great.
                Brian

Comment

I saw some pics , what's up with those parallel indentations on both wings ???? Aero flexing ? In one pic they are on both, then later only on one . ( the pics are showing the top of the Wing).

Comment

I saw those too..........not sure, maybe just shadowing?
                    Brian

Comment

Frickin CIA plot!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

PS... I'm getting into the site as of now, had no problem earlier.. as much as I'd love to dream that this site could aim enough traffic at a .gov server to choke it.. (that kinda traffic is worth a lot of $$) I'm gonna guess the problem was either a glitch in the system at the dot gov place... (wherever that is? ) or, just one of the normail daily hick-ups that happen in the WWW routing system... happens..

wish we had that much traffic....

(insert dot com sponsored racer dreams smilie here.... )
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
                          I saw some pics , what's up with those parallel indentations on both wings ???? Aero flexing ? In one pic they are on both, then later only on one . ( the pics are showing the top of the Wing).
                          Well, the report DID say "One document indicates that pilot Jimmy Leeward was subjected to +17 Gs in the pitch-up following the separation of the trim tab from the airplane."

That's a lot of G's to put on that wing, shortened span or not. If the wings haven't been ripped off by that point then you'd HAVE to expect some buckling. Perhaps that is what you saw.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                            PS... I'm getting into the site as of now, had no problem earlier.. as much as I'd love to dream that this site could aim enough traffic at a .gov server to choke it.. (that kinda traffic is worth a lot of $$) I'm gonna guess the problem was either a glitch in the system at the dot gov place... (wherever that is? ) or, just one of the normail daily hick-ups that happen in the WWW routing system... happens..

The site may have very well been briefly overloaded for awhile. I WAS able to get on and view some reports yesterday morning before the site became inaccessible.

I saw headlines of the docket release on several non-aviation-related websites yesterday, so it's probably wide-spread news.

Comment

I found the part regarding stick force per G very interesting! Early P-51D's loaded a certain way, at a certain airspeed would go negative stick force after x amount of G. I.E. You have to push forward to relax. Compound that with an airplane at the aft C.G. limit (also destabilizing), unknown bob-weight size, elevator weights way bigger than stock, etc.

Regardless of what caused the crash, it seems this airplane must have been a serious handful when everything was working "normal". I was pretty impressed with most of the documents.
                              Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Working...
                              X