PDA

View Full Version : Help! Water Damage

Fence Sence
08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
I dropped my Nikon D-5000 in the lake yesterday. What now?

Plane Nuts
08-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Several years ago my wife dropped her brother's Olympus digital point & shoot in a deep puddle. I took it apart, blew it out w/compressed air, dryed it out w/a hair dryer and it worked just fine after. Or take it to a camera repair shop. If you wait too long, just buy a new camera. Good luck.

Jeff E
08-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Not sure if it works with Cameras... but it does with phones..

Stick it in Dry uncooked Rice..
j

Fence Sence
08-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I don't have much hope for it. It was in about 25ft. of water for a good hour-n-a-half. It's been in front of a fan for a day now with every flap open and empty. All the condensation in the viewfinder evaporated within an hour but, that's a long time down in deep water. :( Me and a buddy free dived a bunch of times and just couldn't stay down long enough to feel around. Its a gravel pit so, the shore just drops off the face of the earth. Its gotta be nearly a 45 degree slope. I talked a couple of the safety divers from the races into going down for it. Super nice guys. Volunteer divers/racers up from Nor-Cal. 45min to go get 'em and gear up and they found it in 5min. flat. I gave them all the cash I had in my wallet, thanked them profusely and they lit out from Reno, not trailed by twenty hounds.

I'm sure hoping their efforts weren't in vain.

I have an extended warranty but, it excludes "liquid". :rolleyes: Do you think I could just dry it out and send it in "dirty"? :deal:

AirDOGGe
08-29-2012, 10:03 PM
If it were a film SLR with all the little precision and lubricated mechanical bits then I'd say "no way", but since it's pretty much solid state, I know it has at least SOME slim chance.

Any word on your cam's final fate? No-Go-No-Mo(re), or Oh-Key-Doh-Key?

:dunno:

Fence Sence
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, my extended warranty program has been extended to cover liquid damage. Anything besides fire or theft is what they are telling me. I'll believe it when they give me a tracking number for its return trip. Fingers crossed. All of 'em.:o