Help! Water Damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Water Damage

I dropped my Nikon D-5000 in the lake yesterday. What now?
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Re: Help! Water Damage

Several years ago my wife dropped her brother's Olympus digital point & shoot in a deep puddle. I took it apart, blew it out w/compressed air, dryed it out w/a hair dryer and it worked just fine after. Or take it to a camera repair shop. If you wait too long, just buy a new camera. Good luck.

Comment

Not sure if it works with Cameras... but it does with phones..

Stick it in Dry uncooked Rice..
      j

Comment

I don't have much hope for it. It was in about 25ft. of water for a good hour-n-a-half. It's been in front of a fan for a day now with every flap open and empty. All the condensation in the viewfinder evaporated within an hour but, that's a long time down in deep water. Me and a buddy free dived a bunch of times and just couldn't stay down long enough to feel around. Its a gravel pit so, the shore just drops off the face of the earth. Its gotta be nearly a 45 degree slope. I talked a couple of the safety divers from the races into going down for it. Super nice guys. Volunteer divers/racers up from Nor-Cal. 45min to go get 'em and gear up and they found it in 5min. flat. I gave them all the cash I had in my wallet, thanked them profusely and they lit out from Reno, not trailed by twenty hounds.

I'm sure hoping their efforts weren't in vain.

I have an extended warranty but, it excludes "liquid". Do you think I could just dry it out and send it in "dirty"?

Comment

If it were a film SLR with all the little precision and lubricated mechanical bits then I'd say "no way", but since it's pretty much solid state, I know it has at least SOME slim chance.

Any word on your cam's final fate? No-Go-No-Mo(re), or Oh-Key-Doh-Key?

Comment

Well, my extended warranty program has been extended to cover liquid damage. Anything besides fire or theft is what they are telling me. I'll believe it when they give me a tracking number for its return trip. Fingers crossed. All of 'em.

Comment

Working...
            X